Thread: speed up to delete big numbers of records...

PowerPoster

speed up to delete big numbers of records...

Code:
    Dim strConnectionString As String
    Dim objConn As ADODB.Connection
    Dim objCommand As ADODB.Command

strConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Data Source=e:\My
    Documents\db1.mdb;" & _
    "Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=4"

Set objConn = New ADODB.Connection
    objConn.Open strConnectionString

Set objCommand = New ADODB.Command

objCommand.ActiveConnection = objConn

'here begintrans<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    ' Assign to ADO Command object
    objCommand.CommandText = "deleteTable10"
    objCommand.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc

objCommand.Execute
    'here commitrans<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    objConn.Close

Set objCommand = Nothing
    Set objConn = Nothing
    the query "deleteTable10" is a delete type.
    The number of records to delete are approx 56.xxx
    If i insert before and after execute command, the transecation command, i speed up the delete of big numbers of records?

Re: speed up to delete big numbers of records...

The delete is going to take as long as it needs to... there's not much you can do to speed it up. There's FKeys to deal with, indexes to update I don't think a transaction is going to help, in fact it may take it longer because first it would need to set the transaction point, mark the records as deleted, follow along any cascading deletes, also marking those as deleted, and then when you commit, it then actually does the delete. Meanwhile you're locking those tables from other users. W/o knowing what your delete sproc does specifically, hard to say much more.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I agree with TG. There's no good reason why a transaction would speed things up. They actually slow things down but with good reason.

The purpose of a transaction is not performance, it's consistency. It's about making sure that all the operations it contains are completed or rolled back as one unit. It prevents a job from being half-done. If you need that assurance of consistency then you should use a transaction. If you don't then you shouldn't.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I agree with TG. There's no good reason why a transaction would speed things up. They actually slow things down but with good reason.

The purpose of a transaction is not performance, it's consistency. It's about making sure that all the operations it contains are completed or rolled back as one unit. It prevents a job from being half-done. If you need that assurance of consistency then you should use a transaction. If you don't then you shouldn't.
    ..."should use a transaction", example for Access and ADO?
    Tks.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

"should use a transaction", example for Access and ADO?
    Tks.
    If you need that assurance of consistency then you should use a transaction. If you don't then you shouldn't.
    Its amazing how people can just choose the bit they want to hear !!

Transactions WONT speed your code up !!!!

That is what people are trying to tell you
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    Its amazing how people can just choose the bit they want to hear !!

Transactions WONT speed your code up !!!!

That is what people are trying to tell you
    ahhhhhhhhhhhh...
    ok, tks!

Transactions aren't for speeding up code. They actually cause quite the opposite. Transactions should only be used when there are a number of operations that must take place and it's an all-or-nothing situation.

Consider a bank transaction. There's two operations that take place. 1) debit the source account. 2) credit the target account. That's something that should be done in a transaction. If I can't credit the target account, I better not be debiting the source account. Otherwise someone could lose money. It's an all-or-nothing situation. Both operations must take place, or none of them do.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Does this database normally have multiple connections open on it?

If it doesn't, or even if you can do "large-scale delete" maintenance on a controlled or scheduled basis... Opening exclusively may make a big difference in performance.

Add "Mode=Share Exclusive" as a phrase in your connection string.

Ideally you would compact afterward, either using JRO or the JetComp.exe utility.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Does this database normally have multiple connections open on it?

If it doesn't, or even if you can do "large-scale delete" maintenance on a controlled or scheduled basis... Opening exclusively may make a big difference in performance.

Add "Mode=Share Exclusive" as a phrase in your connection string.

Ideally you would compact afterward, either using JRO or the JetComp.exe utility.
    Tks for suggestion.
    In my case, actually i use Access and ADO conn, but the Mode=Share Exclusive, i can use also in ADO conn with SQlServer connection, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by luca90 View Post
    Code:
    Dim strConnectionString As String
    Dim objConn As ADODB.Connection
    Dim objCommand As ADODB.Command

strConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Data Source=e:\My
    Documents\db1.mdb;" & _
    "Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=4"

Set objConn = New ADODB.Connection
    objConn.Open strConnectionString

Set objCommand = New ADODB.Command

objCommand.ActiveConnection = objConn

'here begintrans<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    ' Assign to ADO Command object
    objCommand.CommandText = "deleteTable10"
    objCommand.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc

objCommand.Execute
    'here commitrans<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    objConn.Close

Set objCommand = Nothing
    Set objConn = Nothing
    the query "deleteTable10" is a delete type.
    The number of records to delete are approx 56.xxx
    If i insert before and after execute command, the transecation command, i speed up the delete of big numbers of records?
    I have to admit I can't tell what kind of database you are using or what "deleteTable10" is doing from your post but in MS SQL Truncate is much faster than a delete. The logging isn't as extensive.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177570.aspx
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

As a thought, what does the actual sql delete statement look like? Does it have a where clause in it? If so perhaps you could look at using indexes to speed this up.

edit> I'd be a little leary of issuing a Truncate from code. Due to the lack of logging it won't fire any triggers. Even if there are no triggers on the table now they could be introduced in the future and the truncate will bypass them and lead to some unexpected results. I always felt that Truncate was a DBA's tool rather than a developer's one.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Mar 18th, 2015 at 06:38 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    As a thought, what does the actual sql delete statement look like? Does it have a where clause in it? If so perhaps you could look at using indexes to speed this up.

edit> I'd be a little leary of issuing a Truncate from code. Due to the lack of logging it won't fire any triggers. Even if there are no triggers on the table now they could be introduced in the future and the truncate will bypass them and lead to some unexpected results. I always felt that Truncate was a DBA's tool rather than a developer's one.
    It is not correct to say there is no logging using truncate. You'll notice in my post I said "The logging isn't as extensive". But I agree about the trigger. However I stand by my suggestion agreeing with the caveat to consider if a trigger exists (and I guess worrying that someday someone might want to add a trigger could be a consideration). Truncate is lighting fast compared to a delete. Also logging is at a minimum (if you wrapped it in a transaction you would have logging). As with all things in programming it depends on what you are trying to do.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    It is not correct to say there is no logging using truncate. You'll notice in my post I said "The logging isn't as extensive". But I agree about the trigger. However I stand by my suggestion agreeing with the caveat to consider if a trigger exists (and I guess worrying that someday someone might want to add a trigger could be a consideration). Truncate is lighting fast compared to a delete. Also logging is at a minimum (if you wrapped it in a transaction you would have logging). As with all things in programming it depends on what you are trying to do.
    OK, I know the truncate statment.
    I dont use tath because i dont need to delete alls records in table!
    I need to delete a lot of records with a "Where" clausole.

Quote Originally Posted by luca90 View Post
    OK, I know the truncate statment.
    I dont use tath because i dont need to delete alls records in table!
    I need to delete a lot of records with a "Where" clausole.
    Copy off what you want to save, truncate the table, reload. Even that might me faster than what you are doing now. Otherwise, it was just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Copy off what you want to save, truncate the table, reload. Even that might me faster than what you are doing now. Otherwise, it was just a suggestion
    But we'll never know because we don't know what the delete "Sproc" does... If he's only deleting a few records, it may not be worth it... plus who knows what kind of re-indexing is goign to happen on the re-insert.

-tg

we don't know what the delete "Sproc" does
    Indeed.

I need to delete a lot of records with a "Where" clausole
    That's quite likely your problem. Try selecting, rather than deleting, those records. If the select also takes a long time to run it's likely that the bottleneck isn't the deletion of the records, it's the implicit selection of them. If that's the case then probably the best thing you could do would be to add a non-clustered index to support that selection. This will have a small negative impact on the speed of the actual deletions (due to the overhead of maintaining the index) but should have a much larger positive impact on the performance of the implicit selection.

Another potential (but less likely) problem if you're deleting with a Where clause could be that you have a lot of indexes on there, particularly if one of them is clustered. If you're deleting elements out of the middle of an index that can have a significant overhead. I think you'd probably need to be maintaining quite a few indexes before you really started to suffer from that though.

By the way, this thread provides an object lesson in why you should give us all the information we might need right up front. Because you haven't shown us the content of the Sproc we all assumed up front that you were deleting the entire table so a lot of the early answers just aren't relevant.

Just for Grins

Here is proof truncate logs if wrapped in a transaction. I found it on Google somewhere a long time ago:

CREATE TABLE ##Temp(Id int Identity(1,1),Name Varchar(100))

INSERT INTO ##Temp(Name) VALUES('Testing')

BEGIN TRAN
    TRUNCATE TABLE ##Temp
    SELECT * FROM ##Temp
    ROLLBACK
    SELECT * FROM ##Temp

drop table ##Temp

I didn't say it's not logged at all, by "lack of logging" I meant that the level of logging is reduced and that it doesn't fire triggers. For those reasons I wouldn't recommend putting it into production code that will be called regularly and unpredictably. It's suitable for one off manual operations but nothing automated IMO.

It is just an opinion, though. If you feel the extra risk (and it's not a particularly big risk) engendered by a Truncate is worth it for the performance pay off then go ahead. As you say, it depends. I think I'd argue, though, that if you really need the extra performance from a Truncate in production code then there's probably something wrong with the design and you're probably fixing the wrong problem.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Mar 18th, 2015 at 11:33 AM.

Frenzied Member

i'd say: if the concept of your code requires regular truncates on tables then the concept is wrong. yes truncates are much quicker than delete *.

Here is proof truncate logs if wrapped in a transaction.
    the truncate should still be in the logs even without a transaction. i havent checked but in full recovery model the event sould be logged with all its data needed to roll back. the truncate will be handled atomar and will be automatically rolled back in case some error occurs during execution even if all but one records had already been deleted so it needs to be logged.

Another potential (but less likely) problem if you're deleting with a Where clause could be that you have a lot of indexes on there, particularly if one of them is clustered. If you're deleting elements out of the middle of an index that can have a significant overhead.
    i dont think that deleting records from a table with a clustered index has much more overhead than one with an unclustered one. if you mean that the leaves get rewritten, defragged that is, then i do not think this is happening on a delete, only if you rebuild the index. the leave will just be set to empty, no?

OP wont tell us his SP code

"the truncate should still be in the logs even without a transaction"

That makes sense based on :

TRUNCATE TABLE removes the data by deallocating the data pages used to store the table data and records only the page deallocations in the transaction log

I got that from here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...vs-delete-from