Thread: DeskView Monitor [Updated: March 17th, 2015]

DeskView Monitor [Updated: March 17th, 2015]

Name:  DeskView.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  28.5 KB

DeskView monitor is a couple of small applications I wrote that allows you to monitor the desktop of all Windows systems on a local area network where the client portion of the DeskView is installed and configured correctly. On the left hand side of the server application shows a list of all clients found on the local network. Clicking on any of them would allow you to view that PC's desktop in real time from the right pane.

How to configure

In the attached zip there are three folders. Unzip all of them to the same location. The DeskViewServer folder contains the application you see in the screenshot above. In order to prepare a PC for viewing by the server, you must run the application in the DeskViewClient folder on that PC, you can even do it on the same PC with the server if you want to do a quick test. The client should immediately appear in the system icon tray which means it would be listening for broadcasts from the server app. Run the server application from DeskViewServer and you should see client's name and IP appear in the ListBox as in the screenshot. Clicking on that item in the ListBox would now allow you to see what is currently happening on the client PC. You may install and run the client on as many PCs as you like, and as long as its on the same subnet of your local area network, the server should find it.

Please note that if you want to run the client or the server from Visual Studio, you must also include the DeskViewProtocol folder in the same folder as the DeskViewClient or DeskViewServer folders. The solution for both the client and server apps reference the project in the DeskViewProtocol folder. That is why I said to unzip them in the same folder.

You get any problems, feel free to let me know. Enjoy

[UPDATE]

The zip now includes the necessary XtraControls project. Like the DeskViewProtocol project folder, XtraControls also needs to be alongside the client and server apps folder.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Niya; Mar 17th, 2015 at 12:08 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Re: DeskView Monitor

Where can we find xtracontrols? I would assume that the client will be displayed in the SystemTray, right? As an Administrator I would prefer that the client should not be able to close the app so I can continuously monitor their computers, perhaps install it as a service?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    Where can we find xtracontrols?
    Oh God! I forgot about that. I'll re-upload the project with after correcting that oversight.

I would assume that the client will be displayed in the SystemTray, right? As an Administrator I would prefer that the client should not be able to close the app so I can continuously monitor their computers, perhaps install it as a service?
    The client application cannot be installed as a service. Windows services run under session 0 unlike typical applications which run under sessions higher than 0. For instance, if you're the 4th user to log in with the previous users never having logged out, your desktop and all applications launched from that desktop would run in session 4 and the client application would also have to run in session 4 if one wants to view that desktop.

I haven't found any way to do screen captures across session boundries. It obviously can be done as Remote Desktop does this but I suspect its using some undocumented methods as I haven't been as of yet able to find a way to replicate this function.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Ok, I fixed the zip. The applications should work now.

Re: DeskView Monitor [Updated: March 17th, 2015]

Is there any specific configuration I should set to be able to use it on same computer? I was able to run the client fine but I am having problems with the Server, see error below. I am using a laptop connected on a wifi.
    Name:  DeskView.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  35.4 KB
    Regards,

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

I programmed it to use default values the first time it runs. The defaults are such that it should work at once without any configuring.

Try commenting out this line in frmMain.vb:-
    Code:
    ServerGlobal.StartFindingClients(_settings.BroadcastPort, _settings.IPAddress, _settings.ListenPort, 500)
    You can find it in the Begin method. Next, run the server and go to settings which looks like this:-
    Name:  DVSvrSettings.png
Views: 952
Size:  21.5 KB

Tell me if the Network Interface option has your wireless interface selected or if its blank.

Upon clicking the settings there is nothing selected in the Network Interface and even when I selected the Wireless Connection there is nothing displayed in the form. See attached screenshot:Name:  DeskView2.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  23.1 KB
    Regards,

Upon clicking the settings there is nothing selected in the Network Interface and even when I selected the Wireless Connection there is nothing displayed in the form. See attached screenshot:Name:  DeskView2.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  23.1 KB
    Well now that you've selected a network interface, it would be saved and you can now re-enable the line I told you to comment out in the previous post so the server can broadcast. With a network interface selected, you should not get that error you described in post #5.

Okay, that did it, thanks! I wanted to make something like this one, I'm glad you saved me some effort. :-)
    Regards,

Okay, that did it, thanks! I wanted to make something like this one, I'm glad you saved me some effort. :-)
    And thank you for the bug report. Glad it helped you. I'll get to fixing the blank network interface bug as soon as I can.

I also have to do away with broadcasts and use the more modern multi-casting as broadcasts are broken on Windows. The server may not work properly on systems with multiple network interfaces because of a bug in Windows itself that doesn't handle UDP broadcasts properly when multiple network interfaces are involved.

As an Administrator I would prefer that the client should not be able to close the app so I can continuously monitor their computers, perhaps install it as a service?
    I've since figured out how to capture a Desktop from a Windows Service and I have implemented this. Are you still interested in this ?

Also, the latest one has the ability to control the Desktop of any of the PCs under observation, very much like TeamViewer.

gibra

I'm interested to this.
    The latest zip sample already include it?

Thank.

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post
    I'm interested to this.
    The latest zip sample already include it?

Thank.
    Yikes! Not yet. I meant to release it but kept procrastinating and Dee never responded. Guess I kinda forgot. I'll try to do it over the holidays.

gibra

Thank.