dcsimg

Thread: Using VB 6 to write software for use on more recent operating systems

Using VB 6 to write software for use on more recent operating systems

I know that you cannot use VB 6 to program on a PC running Windows 7.

I will be writing the software on a PC that is running a version earlier than Windows 7 but the result of the programming will be for use on more modern versions.

Many thanks indeed and please let me know if any of this is unclear.

Re: Using VB 6 to write software for use on more recent operating systems

Your first statement is incorrect. Threads in this forum, indicate you can run VB up to and including Win10.

You should do a little research into manifests for your application. Starting with XP and above, manifests can positively effect appearance, i.e., themes and DPI scaling, and starting with Win8, including manifests may no longer be an option if you want to access some of the newer capabilities of those operating systems
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Hi LaVoipe,

Could you perhaps tell us.... will an application on an early version of windows, be usable on a PC running recent Windows versions? Mine is a relatively simple language program that doesn't really require dpi scaling or themes.

Many thanks again.

PowerPoster

If your users or yourself is going to use the vb6 app on windows 7 I would suggest programming VB6 on a windows 7 system. The reason why i say this is some APIs will work differently on XP then windows 7, but if you stay with VB functions/controls you should be ok to program VB6 on any windows version or run them on any versions (no matter if it was compiled on the same windows version or not)

I don't know where you got the information that vb6 does not work on windows 7 and up but it is wrong, the only issue is sometimes with installation but you ignore/skip the errors and always run VB6.exe as ADMIN (right click vb6.exe go to propertie then compatibility and check the checkbox Run This Program As Administrator)
    Last edited by Max187Boucher; Mar 8th, 2015 at 02:57 PM.

Without manifesting, on Win7 and above, your application should work as if on a Vista machine. Regarding the APIs, that requires research since APIs can change slightly from O/S to O/S. Additionally some older APIs become deprecated on newer systems. But since you say your app is rather 'simple', this may not apply to you at this time. Pay attention to file operations since newer O/S may prevent you from writing to folders you were writing to in the past on lower O/S.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

If it's something really simple you'll be fine, but if you plan on using anything outside VB's own little walled garden (e.g. apis, especially shell apis as LaVolpe mentioned) it's going to be hard to get xp and vista+ compatibility right if you don't have a way to test it yourself; and if you do have a modern OS and you're targeting exclusively modern windows, you should just develop on that in the first place. I gave up a while ago trying to keep my programs XP-compatible when not job-required (although i mostly do shell programming).. and if you're talking even below XP, forget it unless you're not using ANYTHING outside of basic VB.

That said, there's a lot of good reasons to develop modern applications with modern features in VB, and you should never underestimate the power of VB to take advantage of modern features.