Thread: Problem installing VS Express 2013

Frenzied Member

Problem installing VS Express 2013

I'm getting an error installing this. I downloaded the complete ISO, so I won't need to worry about an internet connection (otherwise if my connection drops out as it does sometimes the installation could fail). I'm using Alcohol 52 free edition as the virtual CD/DVD drive in which to mount the ISO and run the installer. However it has failed about halfway through the installation, and it doesn't tell me what's wrong. It just says:
    Setup Failed!
    Install cannot continue because some required components failed.
    Please correct the following problems and restart the setup to ensure full
    product functionality. To learn more, you can review the list of common
    issues and workarounds
    , or examine the log file.

Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop
    Fatal error during installation.
    However there is no reason that it should have failed. I'm not installing over the internet. I'm using the full ISO (a huge 6.9GB file). It should have EVERYTHING that it will need to install, right there in that ISO.

Here's the log file, which I uploaded to pastebin for you guys here on VB Forums to look at, and hopefully you will be able to tell me what went wrong.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=pejJC1PQ

Re: Problem installing VS Express 2013

What does the log file say? What are the common issues?
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Frenzied Member

I've tried all the fixes including comparing ISO's SHA1 hash to the one provided by Microsoft. It checks out as good. Short of reinstalling Windows so that the VSE2013 installer will have access to the purest possible system files, without any possibility of alteration, I don't know what to do. However reinstalling Windows is not an option as that would format my whole drive. I have almost 500GB of stuff on my drive, and I don't want to lose it all. I'd rather stick with the situation of not being able to use VSE2013, than lose all my stuff.

But if this is a known issue, with an easy fix that I'm simply overlooking, then please enlighten me. I really do want to try out VB2013.

Frenzied Member

Ok I'm giving up on 2013 for now. I've instead downloaded (while MS still has it available) VSE2010, and it has a completely different installer, and it installed without a problem. I got the ISO so that even if MS decides to take it off there site, I will still have a copy of it.

I don't think I can help with the current problem, but something to think of in the future is to use Virtual Machines: in this way you can create a development environment clean of any superfluous programs. This can help the 'reinstall windows' issue if you take a snapshot of a clean install, create a new VM, and install the suspect software and see if it is a windows problem.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben321 View Post
    I have almost 500GB of stuff on my drive, and I don't want to lose it all. I'd rather stick with the situation of not being able to use VSE2013, than lose all my stuff.
    What SJWhiteley said is right. When doing something that you are unsure of you should install Windows OS on a Virtual Machine (like the free and very reliable VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/ ). A virtual machine will allow you to install basically a whole new computer onto the one you are currently using. Windows 7 has a free version of every one of their OS available for a 30 day trial period if you do not input a license key, which should be enough for you to run and see if you like VS 2013.

As far as using a ISO Disk Mounter, I have never used that program you are speaking of, but I have used and know that PowerISO is a great tool for that.

Now, getting to the installation of VB 2013. I have recently installed it on three machines and (as far as I know) you are required to have internet access when installing the program even if you have the ISO downloaded. If I am not mistaken, and if I am please correct me, it requires Windows 7/8 to be currently updated to latest update release for that OS. It also requires you to have NetFrameWork 4.5. And, with the internet, it checks your email to verify your MS account. There are also a few things it downloads with NFW 4.5

Anyway, I hope that helps!

Frab
    Oops, There it goes. Yep... my brain stopped...

Useful Things:

How to link your VB.Net application to Excel