Thread: .NET Download

.NET Download

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to program some equipment at work using GPIB and the manual says to use Visual Basic .NET and the Console Application. The only VB experience I have is with excel. However, I am excited to learn.

I have downloaded VS Express 2013 for Desktop. Is this the right download or should I have downloaded the one for Windows? Also, the one I have says the languages I could use are C#, Visual Basic and C++. Is there a difference between .NET and Visual Basic?

I am really new to this, so thank you for your patience.

Natalie

Re: .NET Download

Ah, I see that the Express 2013 for Windows is used for writing apps.

Still wondering if I can use the one I downloaded for my application or if I need to buy it somewhere and what the difference between VB and VB.NET is

.NET is usually used to refer to the framework VB.NET and C# use. VB.NET is a language, .NET is a framework. And yes Visual Studio 2013 Express is the latest version to use so that's good.

what do you need to know about the console?
    the (very) basic vb language is similar to vba, so you have a headstart with that...

Thank you everyone.

Right now I am trying to figure out how to add a library. In the example, it says to go to tool then click references and add a visacom library... However, this example must be from an older version and I can't find reference under tools.

Visacom is not a standard part of the VB>Net COM library, either in vb2013 or earlier versions. Try this:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=visacom+download

Hyperactive Member

you need to start a new project and then on the solution explorer found within the visual studio IDE right click on the name of your project then click add reference.

then you will need to choose browse and find the DLL file for your reference, once added you can then use this within code either by fully declaring the name space and classes within your DLL or using imports and then the name of your namespace to use it