Thread: We Got Windows 8.1

We Got Windows 8.1

We were required to upgrade our computers at work to have hardware compliant with some fancy new encryption. Whenever they computers came in and the tech people installed them, they had Windows 8.1 on them.

I am having troubles getting use to this new version. I find that accessing any system tools such as Devices and Printer or Control Panel take a while to come up. I also got use to clicking on the arrow next to my program(such as Office) to open up recently opened files with Windows 7, but so far I haven't found that on Windows 8.1.

However, the computer is quick. But I can tell you that I spend 99% of my time in the desktop view, the only time I go to the tablet view is when I need to use the search.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

PowerPoster

Re: We Got Windows 8.1

I don't think anyone has an argument with the improvements in Windows itself. It's the borked UI and WinRT subsystem behind Metro that get most of the ire.

But between Windows improvements, newer hardware, and just being a clean install without the baggage of years of use... I'd hope it would seem quick.

I doubt that the "takes a while to come up" has anything to do with Win8.1. I have seen slow and fast for that on the computers I work with. The fastest is with Win8.1 and the slowest is with Win7, but I have never thought that it had anything to do with the OS. Instead, I felt that the difference was either in the hardware (the Win8.1 is a Surface Pro II tablet, which is really fast, while the Win7 that is slow is a laptop with a lot of baggage on it).

Learning the differences is kind of painful, since we generally have years of muscle memory built up with the older system. There's good and bad in the end.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I wasn't a big fan when I first tried 8.1 but I have got used to it and think I probably prefer it to XP/7/Vista now so it's worth persisting. I agree that I pretty much never use the metro interface though - It's 99% desktop for me.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I have been actively testing Win 10 and the UI is much better, plus you have a choice of Metro or not.

Our of the box it boots faster than Win 7 or Win 8.1.

Boot times are also affected by drivers. Installing a spaceball can drag boot times to the pits.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

I think Microsoft forgot how to count somewhere:

Windows 1, Windows 2, Windows 3, Windows NT?
    Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10?

Where's 4, 5, 6, and 9?! Omg, seven ate nine!

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post

Because not to have a conflict with iPhone-4, 5 and 6.

Omg, seven ate nine!
    That's spelled 'eight', as in: seven, eight, nine!

And therefore, it is understandable that nine is missing.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I am having troubles getting use to this new version.
    Which is its main problem, you really shouldn't be it should be intuitive and it isn't. You have to learn a bunch of new ways to access stuff, which in my opinion are not better.

I wasn't a big fan when I first tried 8.1 but I have got used to it and think I probably prefer it to XP/7/Vista now so it's worth persisting. I agree that I pretty much never use the metro interface though - It's 99% desktop for me.
    This is one thing i disagree with you on FD. Even with 8.1 which is an improvement on 8, i still dont like the UI for Win8.

If we are being honest it is not our opinion that counts though it is the casual user and business user that MS have failed with Win8.

I have found it much harder to show casual users such as my Auntie (who is 74) how to do things in Win8, she finds it much much harder to use and to figure out then Win7 which she liked.

I find it really difficult to talk her through certain stuff that is different in Win8 over the phone ( which i used to be able to do), she normally has to wait until i go and visit her so i can show her in person.

Businesses have failed to roll it out because they took one look at Win8 and just saw huge staff training costs and thought forget it.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post
    I have been actively testing Win 10 and the UI is much better, plus you have a choice of Metro or not.
    Really?

I had the strong impression test driving an earlier Win 10 build that it still wants to puke monochromatic "tiles" at you for all sorts of things. The "start menu" was sort of a bastardized travesty, and even more than the usual new-version insanity all kinds of system settings have been move around and hidden again.

But there is no arguing that the Metrofication fad isn't over yet. Maybe by Windows 12 or Windows Puffy Shirt or whatever whizzy naming convention comes along by then?

The start menu came with a dozen apps tiled on the right.
    Right mouse uninstall removed them.

You can drag any program you want to create a shortcut tile. This allows you to create a list of favorites much like putting them on the task bar. You don't have to use it of course.

The big difference is that unlike Win 8, 8.1 the start menu disappears immediately leaving you in the desktop. Much like XP or Win 7. Who cares how much screen it momentarily takes up.

Windows settings are in two locations. Dialogs for the settings are identical to Win 7.

Many are under right mouse on the start button. Those not are under start | settings.

I'm not in love with it, but it is more usable than Win 8.1 in my opinion.

Hopefully they don't muck it up by force feeding their other products down our collective throats.
    Last edited by Gruff; Feb 16th, 2015 at 12:39 PM.

~T

You can start up to the desktop in 8.1, too. I had the surface doing that for a time, then I switched it back. Frankly, I found that I used both in roughly equal amounts. Of course, on a touch screen, 8.1 really shines.

How touching.

Seriously though I am not a fan of touch screens.
    Probably because I am mostly fumble fingered now.
    (Little to no feeling in my finger tips.)

~T

Well, I did run into a problem earlier today with trying to startup in safe mode. I kept smashing the F8 key with no luck only to find out that it has changed. Though, I wish it was on the menu that comes up when you hit the Escape key.

We were required to upgrade our computers at work to have hardware compliant with some fancy new encryption. Whenever they computers came in and the tech people installed them, they had Windows 8.1 on them.

I am having troubles getting use to this new version. I find that accessing any system tools such as Devices and Printer or Control Panel take a while to come up. I also got use to clicking on the arrow next to my program(such as Office) to open up recently opened files with Windows 7, but so far I haven't found that on Windows 8.1.

However, the computer is quick. But I can tell you that I spend 99% of my time in the desktop view, the only time I go to the tablet view is when I need to use the search.
    I think that is down to your machine. I love 8.1 and every thing boots/loads instantly. I also boot straight into desktop but the tablet has it's uses.(Especially as it transforms into a tablet). I access installed programs via the tablet rather then the search feature with Two finger swipes. But then again i am touch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

Learning the differences is kind of painful, since we generally have years of muscle memory built up with the older system. There's good and bad in the end.
    Agreed, how ever i jumped from XP to 8.1 and even though it took a few weeks(still learning now) the layout is much of an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post

Our of the box it boots faster than Win 7 or Win 8.1.

Boot times are also affected by drivers. Installing a spaceball can drag boot times to the pits.
    See this once again is hardware related. I can't see how w10 can be much faster. Any thing i load does so in a blink of an eye. The system boots from stand still to windows in 4/5 seconds. I have used w10 in a VM and hated the horrible start menu/tablet thingy bob. Just Urgh...

Not really. You are being lead into thinking it should go 7,8,9,10. Why does or should it? It's simply a version name. It's not the first time Microsoft has done this. I personally think it's to do with legacy applications that could cause issues when checking for "9" and not the actual full version. Think of it like if startswith 9 then....(windows 95/windows 98)

Oh and SHIFT F8 for safe mode

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Windows Puffy Shirt
    I don't want to be a pirate!
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

RE boot time:

Sounds like you are running a tablet hi-bred of some sort.

I was speaking of towers with physical hard drives.
    Win 8.1 takes a lot more than a second or two to boot on them.
    Win 10 on a dual boot on the same machine takes less time.

In a real life scenario 10 will be more "Connected" with MS cloud products.
    I imagine that will result in speed issues galore.

~T

PowerPoster

Every time I read this thread's title:

"We Got Windows 8.1"

I think, "Tried antibiotics yet?"

This is a real life scenario... Drive: 238GB SAMSUNG (SSD)

PowerPoster

Sounds like somebody desperately trying to squeeze lemonade out of his "Slurp Fest Pro" cash sucker.

The boot time on my surface is about 15 seconds. I thought it was way faster because it feels so fast, but somebody else reported boot times of about that much, so I timed it and it really does take that long.

I realize that it's totally nuts to complain about 15 second boot time...but I wasn't, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    The boot time on my surface is about 15 seconds. I thought it was way faster because it feels so fast, but somebody else reported boot times of about that much, so I timed it and it really does take that long.

I realize that it's totally nuts to complain about 15 second boot time...but I wasn't, really.
    http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/download.htm

I can't remember where I've read it but one feedback on Windows 7 and below was that we had to click Start to Shutdown, perhaps Microsoft did hear that comment? I don't like Windows 8 specially if it is not a touchscreen, hovering on the right side just to bring up the Charms is time-consuming or is there any other method to show it? I wanted to look into the Accessories to find the On-Screen Keyboard but I am not sure how. And there was this 'weird' problem where I wanted to install the 3.5 framework offline but it will just prompt me to download it and install whereas I already have the installer.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    I can't remember where I've read it but one feedback on Windows 7 and below was that we had to click Start to Shutdown, perhaps Microsoft did hear that comment? I don't like Windows 8 specially if it is not a touchscreen, hovering on the right side just to bring up the Charms is time-consuming or is there any other method to show it? I wanted to look into the Accessories to find the On-Screen Keyboard but I am not sure how. And there was this 'weird' problem where I wanted to install the 3.5 framework offline but it will just prompt me to download it and install whereas I already have the installer.
    The start menu is nicked named win X.... press windows button together with X then press U twice. It's quicker then using my touch screen.

Show Charms bar: Press the Windows key + C
    Code:
    Open the Charms bar                  Windows+C
    Search for apps, files or settings  Windows +Q
    Share what you see onscreen      Windows +H
    Return to the Start screen           Windows key
    Interact with attached devices     Windows +K
    Change settings                         Windows +I

~T

Windows 4.0 is NT / 95
    Windows 5 is Windows 2000, 5.1 is XP and 5.2 is XP 64bit
    Windows 6 is Vista and 6.1 is Windows 7, 6.2 is 8 and 6.3 is 8.1

So I guess Windows 10 will either be 6.4 or 7.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.