Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: VB6 FastCGI Server

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 FastCGI Server

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    Are you writing the back end stuff in Golang? Or or you transpiling Golang to JS for the front end?

If you are doing the back end in Goland then maybe VBFCGI isn't relevant. The main purpose of VBFCGI is to write your backend in VB6 and there's only 2 reasons to do that:

• You have existing back end code from a mature Client/Server or N-tier application that you want to use on the web. There is no "re-writing" in this case, so you get to spend all/most of your efforts on the front end (using regular browser technologies like HTML5, JS, CSS, etc...)
    • You don't want to learn another language for the back end stuff because you are most skilled at writing in VB6. This would be the case for new projects where the goal is to get the back end together as quickly as you are able (since you are fastest at coding in VB6), then focus on the front-end in regular web technologies like HTML5, JS, CSS, etc...

If you are starting a new project in a new (to you) language like Golang, it would probably be best to forego VBFCGI entirely and choose a more standard web stack.
    Hi jpbro,

In my last project, I've implemented cloud account management using vbFastCGI on Linux. Now what I'm going to do is a new project, which is mainly about big data storage, so I need to develop this project with Golang.

Edit:
    In addition, I've sent a private message to you, I don't know if you have received it. Every night, vbForums is extremely crowded and often unable to send posts properly.

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 FastCGI Server

Hi dreammanor,

I received your private message and have replied. I repost some of it here because I think it could be useful information for others who come across this thread:

I understand the desktop market is drying up quickly in China - it is happening here too, though I think a bit less dramatically as I can still make a living of the desktop stuff with business customers. There's no doubt that things are moving more and more to the cloud though, even with business applications which is why I developed VBFCGI as it gives me a quick & clear path to the web. Though not all of my VB6 code will be useful there (primarily all of the user interface stuff that must be completely re-written in web languages like HTML5, JS, and CSS), all of my backend stuff (database, user management, business logic, etc...) can be re-used. Since I am the one running the backend services for customers though, my users don't care what the backend is written in since they don't ever see/touch the backend as it is all in the cloud.

That said, if you are writing new stuff, it makes sense to make use of newer technologies on the backend like Go. Since I have somewhere in the neighbourhood of 700,000 lines of existing backend VB6 code, I wanted to keep as much of it as possible. If you are starting a fresh project then you won't have the same incentive of course!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234