Thread: What is your favorite program?

Addicted Member

Lightbulb What is your favorite program?

What is your favorite programming util distinct from Microsoft Visual Studio. My answer for this issue is Editpad Pro. This program is very useful for all programmers. Just choose your favorite program...
    Regards

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: What is your favorite program?

Moved to general dev as this isn't really a .Net question.

I'm not sure I really have a favourite program but the one that's probably most useful to me is Outlook. Boring but there you have it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I am a huge fan of the DejaVu font family. Although the font looks similar to Consolas, I like the taller rounder characters and the extra whitespace (compared to Consolas) in this font. This font looks great when I am working on a dark background theme. You can download the font here (Just double click on the DejaVuSansMono.ttf file to install it and restart Visual Studio)
    Last edited by bestellen; Sep 15th, 2015 at 01:37 PM.

When I'm programming my favorite program is Winamp.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

GIMP, Notepad++, AptanaStudio, my password maker, Fiddler...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Google.

Best utility evar.

Alternatively, Agent Ransack as a file search utility.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    I am sharing the same thing with you. Without music I cannot do anything. My secondary favorite program. Also lately I was using Nexus radio for giving influence of inspiration more.

If I'm developing out of the .Net environment, then the editor that I use is Notepad++ and in all cases I have Google and VBForums up in case I run into something I'm unfamiliar with.

If I'm listening to music then I like to put on Pandora and alternate between Ska radio, Ludwig Van Beethoven radio, Hugh Laurie radio, and Dance Gavin Dance radio.

For some reason, I also have to have a drink in front of me as well. Whether it's a Nestle Splash, Jack & water on the rocks, or anything in between.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Frenzied Member

Let's see,

-Agent Ransack - Very nice file searching program.
    -DOSBox - Nice if you (still) are interested in old games for DOS. I still use Norton Commander 3.0 with it occasionally. Despite the fact it's very old and doesn't support long file names, it's still useful sometimes.
    -Microsoft Editor (which comes with all 32 bit Windows versions) is useful for viewing and editing files. I use it to examine and edit binary files.
    -Recuva - Useful for recovering deleted files.
    -VirtualBox - For running Linux with dual booting or live CDs - especially Ubuntu.
    -VLC Player - Will play movie files/display subtitles when Media Player won't.
    -Winzip/Winrar.

And I could probably think of a few more, but this is enough for now.
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Feb 13th, 2015 at 05:54 AM.

Addicted Member

Thanks Peter for your program list for encouraging us. I have a big list of favorite programs. Perhaps other programmers xor coders can share their list. Increasing the the synesthesic feed back reaction…

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    People still use Winamp?

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by algea View Post
    Thanks Peter for your program list for encouraging us. I have a big list of favorite programs. Perhaps other programmers xor coders can share their list. Increasing the the synesthesic feed back reaction…
    Thank you, here are some more favorites:

CygWin - A Linux/Unix like environment in Windows - without a virtual machine.
    GSpot - Useful for figuring out what codecs to use to get a movie to play.
    Paint Shop Pro 5 - Light and easy to use program for editing photo's and other images.
    SimH - Want to know what operating systems were like before MS-DOS? This emulates an Altair i.e. and runs CP/M.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post
    Thank you, here are some more favorites:

CygWin - A Linux/Unix like environment in Windows - without a virtual machine.
    GSpot - Useful for figuring out what codecs to use to get a movie to play.
    Paint Shop Pro 5 - Light and easy to use program for editing photo's and other images.
    SimH - Want to know what operating systems were like before MS-DOS? This emulates an Altair i.e. and runs CP/M.
    Thanks for your advices. I am installing Paint Shop Pro on my system know. It is a legendary old program coming from old. There is something wrong with PhotoShop and Adobe. I used to work with Paint Shop Pro but then I forgot

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by algea View Post
    Thanks for your advices. I am installing Paint Shop Pro on my system know. It is a legendary old program coming from old. There is something wrong with PhotoShop and Adobe. I used to work with Paint Shop Pro but then I forgot
    Let me guess, too many complicated features and demanding of system resources?

My list wasn't really meant as advice, but still glad it helped you.

Paint.NET is a great free tool I use on occasion.
    Many high end painting, drawing, photo tools plus layering.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Can't say I really have any favorite programs. But I do use Chrome majority of the time on the computer. I also use Dreamweaver a lot too...

For programming utility:

Management Studio - SQL Server
    SQLYog - MySQL
    Wampserver - PHP/MySQL
    Notepad++ - HTML/PHP
    Filezilla - for uploading website contents
    Photoshop - for graphic designs
    Chrome/Firefox - for searching/trying stuffs
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

PowerPoster

I really get a lot of use out of the open source MMM (Make My Manifest), though it can be hard to come by now.

It can easily "package" a VB6 program with its dependencies for reg-free COM XCopy deployment. This is something Microsoft dropped the ball on in their rush to .Net, even though the facility was specifically designed in the first place to support VB6 programs entrely separately from the .Net track they decided to wander down later.

If you can't find MMM anymore, there is always the commercial Side-By-Side Manifest Maker though I've never used it.

The isolated assemblies are a great defense against all of those badly broken InnoSetup ("no-no setup") setup packages in the wild. It also turns most VB6 programs into "portable" applications you can run from a flash drive without 3rd party runtime hacks that shuffle registry keys back and forth.
    Last edited by dilettante; Feb 15th, 2015 at 02:01 PM.