Thread: [RESOLVED] SyncLock protecting thread counter

Resolved [RESOLVED] SyncLock protecting thread counter

I've got an option in one of my programs to limit the number of threads that get used when the program loops through a list of computers to perform queries against them - I don't want to just use ThreadPool.QueueUserWorkItem because that could spawn too many threads and hammer the CPU (people often use the program to query several hundred remote PCs so I wouldn't want it trying to query all of them at once on separate threads). So I let the user specify how many threads should be allowed to run at once, but there seems to be a race condition that can sometimes cause the task to never finish.

I think this is due to the way I'm limiting the threads but I can't think of a way of fixing this. I'll demonstrate how it works now (I've taken out a lot of irrelevant code for this question, so don't worry if the overall purpose of it doesn't make sense, just focus on the thread counting and locking).

vb.net Code:
    1. 'At class level:
    2. Private _ThreadLimitLock As New Object
    3. Private _ThreadLimitSignal As New System.Threading.AutoResetEvent(False)
    4. Private _CurrentThreadCount As Integer
    5. Private _RemainingCountLock As New Object
    6. Private _RemainingComputers As Integer
    7. Private _AllFinishedSignal As New System.Threading.ManualResetEventSlim(False)
    10. 'In sub that performs the tasks:
    11. For Each Computer In ComputerList
    12.                     System.Threading.Interlocked.Increment(_CurrentThreadCount)
    13.                     If _CurrentThreadCount > ThreadLimit Then
    14.                         _ThreadLimitSignal.WaitOne()
    15.                     End If
    17.                     Dim BgThread As New System.Threading.Thread(AddressOf GetServicesFromSingleComputer)
    18.                     BgThread.IsBackground = True
    19.                     BgThread.Start(Computer)
    20. Next
    21. _AllFinishedSignal.Wait()

So it is looping through each computer and starting a thread for each of them, unless the current thread count is over the user specified limit - in which case it waits on the AutoResetEvent to be signalled. This gets signalled from the method that each background thread is running but the problem is I need to use a lock around the part that signals it... like so:

vb.net Code:
    1. SyncLock _ThreadLimitLock
    2.            _CurrentThreadCount -= 1
    3.             If _CurrentThreadCount <= ThreadLimit Then
    4.                 _ThreadLimitSignal.Set()
    5.             End If
    6. End SyncLock
    8. SyncLock _RemainingCountLock
    9.             _RemainingComputers -= 1
    10.             If _RemainingComputers < 1 Then
    11.                 _AllFinishedSignal.Set()
    12.             End If
    13. End SyncLock

I need this to all be done under a lock because multiple threads will be running this at the same time so I need them to decrement the count one at a time as they finish their work. Even if I changed this to use Interlocked.Decrement to decrement the counter without a lock, I'd still need to lock on the part that actually checks to see if the current thread count is now below the thread limit and signals the other thread to continue wouldn't I?

The problem as far as I can see, is that in the loop through the computer list we are incrementing the thread counter and checking its value then waiting on the AutoResetEvent but none of this is done under the lock that prevents multiple threads from modifying the thread counter at once. I can't make this be done under that lock though because then it is just going to deadlock and never proceed because one thread will be waiting for the lock so it can signal the AutoResetEvent but it will never get that lock because the thread that has the lock is sat waiting on the WaitOne method in the computer loop.

Any suggestions for how I can sort this out or alternatives to the way I'm doing it? All I want is to be able to control the number of threads I'm creating at any one time and have a way of knowing when they are all complete.

Thanks
    Chris
    Last edited by chris128; Feb 3rd, 2015 at 01:07 PM.
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

Re: SyncLock protecting thread counter

I might be thinking stupid but have you thought about using a ConcurrentQueue maybe for the ComputerList. Another idea is reference a check agsint the ThreadPool.GetMaxThreads Method.

Quote Originally Posted by ident View Post
    I might be thinking stupid but have you thought about using a ConcurrentQueue maybe for the ComputerList. Another idea is reference a check agsint the ThreadPool.GetMaxThreads Method.
    If I check the value of GetMaxThreads on my PC it gives me 1023, which is way more threads than I want to be allowed. I don't really want to call ThreadPool.SetMaxThreads and set that to whatever the user specifies, because they might specify something quite low and I believe that the threadpool threads get used internally by the CLR just to run your app and not only when you call QueueUserWorkItem (I know if I use task manager to view the number of threads in just an empty WPF program it shows at least 13 or 14 threads).

I'm not sure how the ConcurrentQueue would help? There's no synchronization issue with actually getting the computer names. If I used a ConcurrentQueue, how would that help with limiting the number of threads that can be running at any one time?

I just realised that Interlocked.Increment actually returns the updated value... every example I've ever seen of it just uses it on its own to update the integer you pass in to it by reference, rather than using its return value. So I could actually change this:

vb.net Code:
    1. System.Threading.Interlocked.Increment(_CurrentThreadCount)
    2. If _CurrentThreadCount > ThreadLimit Then
    3.                         _ThreadLimitSignal.WaitOne()
    4. End If

To this:

vb.net Code:
    1. If System.Threading.Interlocked.Increment(_CurrentThreadCount) > ThreadLimit Then
    2.                         _ThreadLimitSignal.WaitOne()
    3. End If

By doing it like this, is there still a chance of another thread changing the value of _CurrentThreadCount in between it being incremented and checking its value against the thread limit?

Quote Originally Posted by chris128 View Post

By doing it like this, is there still a chance of another thread changing the value of _CurrentThreadCount in between it being incremented and checking its value against the thread limit?
    The check will work, but, of course, another check can be called before the WaitOne. The ONLY purpose is to make the increment an atomic operation. Using the result does to become part of the atomic operation.

Why not, at the completion of each thread, flag an event that the thread has completed? Then, in that routine (synclocked), check your thread counter and spawn another thread as appropriate: you'd take 'computers' out of a queue as appropriate.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by chris128 View Post
    If I check the value of GetMaxThreads on my PC it gives me 1023, which is way more threads than I want to be allowed. I don't really want to call ThreadPool.SetMaxThreads and set that to whatever the user specifies, because they might specify something quite low and I believe that the threadpool threads get used internally by the CLR just to run your app and not only when you call QueueUserWorkItem (I know if I use task manager to view the number of threads in just an empty WPF program it shows at least 13 or 14 threads).

I'm not sure how the ConcurrentQueue would help? There's no synchronization issue with actually getting the computer names. If I used a ConcurrentQueue, how would that help with limiting the number of threads that can be running at any one time?
    It wouldn't thinking about it. It was post curry half asleep thinking.

You do have an issue in that code, though I'm not sure that it is THE problem.

In these two lines:

Code:
    System.Threading.Interlocked.Increment(_CurrentThreadCount)
    If _CurrentThreadCount > ThreadLimit Then
    you first perform an interlocked increment, then you compare the new value to a different value. Because you wrote that as two statements, you largely lost the advantage of Interlocked.Increment. The method performs something like x +=1, but in a thread-safe manner. However, somebody else could get in there before you compare the result in the If statement. That doesn't seem like it would matter, though. At worst, the current count would be higher than it had been immediately after the interlocked.increment call, which means that the If statement will be false somewhat more often than it really should be. That seems like it should just result in more threads waiting when they probably could have been running, or threads running more out of order than normal.

I got called away to eat soup at that point, so this may now be totally out of order with other posts. That's how multithreading works, though, in a non-preemptive world.

My point was that Interlocked.Increment returns the new value, so you could write:

Code:
     If System.Threading.Interlocked.Increment(_CurrentThreadCount)> ThreadLimit Then
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    You do have an issue in that code, though I'm not sure that it is THE problem.

In these two lines:

Code:
    System.Threading.Interlocked.Increment(_CurrentThreadCount)
    If _CurrentThreadCount > ThreadLimit Then
    you first perform an interlocked increment, then you compare the new value to a different value. Because you wrote that as two statements, you largely lost the advantage of Interlocked.Increment. The method performs something like x +=1, but in a thread-safe manner. However, somebody else could get in there before you compare the result in the If statement. That doesn't seem like it would matter, though. At worst, the current count would be higher than it had been immediately after the interlocked.increment call, which means that the If statement will be false somewhat more often than it really should be. That seems like it should just result in more threads waiting when they probably could have been running, or threads running more out of order than normal.

I got called away to eat soup at that point, so this may now be totally out of order with other posts. That's how multithreading works, though, in a non-preemptive world.

My point was that Interlocked.Increment returns the new value, so you could write:

Code:
     If System.Threading.Interlocked.Increment(_CurrentThreadCount)> ThreadLimit Then
    Thanks and yeah I did actually realise that just before you posted, and changed my code to suit. However, this doesn't seem to have fixed the bug and I also tried changing WaitOne to use the overloaded version that specifies a timeout - I set the timeout to 2 minutes, but apparently the program still hangs on "1 remaining" forever sometimes. What is annoying is that I can't reproduce the issue here, so I'm having to make changes and add extra debug logging etc then send new versions to the customer that is experiencing this issue occasionally and see if they encounter it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    The check will work, but, of course, another check can be called before the WaitOne. The ONLY purpose is to make the increment an atomic operation. Using the result does to become part of the atomic operation.

Why not, at the completion of each thread, flag an event that the thread has completed? Then, in that routine (synclocked), check your thread counter and spawn another thread as appropriate: you'd take 'computers' out of a queue as appropriate.
    I guess that could work, and use the ConcurrentQueue that someone mentioned earlier so there are no issues. That would require something different for the first 10 computers though wouldn't it (assuming 10 threads is our limit), as otherwise there would never be 10 running in the first place if the only time a new thread got started was at the end of an existing thread's work.

So I'd have to loop through all of the computers, ignore the first 10 and add the rest to a concurrent queue, then start threads for each of those first 10. Then when each of them finishes, they decrement the thread counter and then raise an event to say they have finished. In the event handler, if the count is below the user specified limit then it gets the next computer from the queue and starts a new thread to process that one.

I'll give it a go and see if it helps, although after the customer reported that they still have the same issue even when I added a timeout to the WaitOne call, I'm thinking perhaps this is not actually the cause of the hang after all... but I can't see what else could be causing it (the part that decrements the remaining computer count and decides when the process has finished definitely doesn't have any concurrency issues as it is the only thing that uses that counter and that lock, and it is in the Finally block of a Try/Catch/Finally that wraps the entire method that each thread runs).