Thread: [RESOLVED] How to validate username and password using regex?

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to validate username and password using regex?

Hello Guys,

I want to validate my application's username and password input before login. That's why I have implemented a regex system. Code :

Code:
    Private UsernameRegex As Match
    UsernameRegex = Regex.Match(tbx_username.Text, "^[A-Za-z0-9_-.]{3,16}$")
    If UsernameRegex.Success Then MsgBox("Do not use illegal characters on the username field!!!", MsgBoxStyle.Information, "Information") : tbx_username.Focus() : Exit Sub
    The regex pattern I am trying to validate is : [A-Za-z0-9_-.]{3,16}
    I want my username textbox to proceed to the login process when the entered text on the username textbox have no other characters other than the allowed characters in my regex. But with my code it is not working actually. I am getting an regex reverse error. Snapshot attached.

Please help me guys.
    Thanks in advance.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: How to validate username and password using regex?

Your RegEx is slightly wrong in that you're not escaping the minus character. Use the backslash to escape the minus character and you should be fine. I was able to determine this by plugging your RegEx into http://www.regexr.com/ and when I did so it pointed out the error.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Why are you using RegEx for a username and password? Typically, these are two strings that the user has to enter exactly correct, in which case equality is the only passing rule. By using RegEx of any sort, you will either create a rule that allows a user to be "close enough" to some username and password, or will be using a sledgehammer to drive a finishing nail.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

I have heard about MySQL Injection and also followed some protection guide on codeporject. That guide says I should filter user inputs. That's why I used regex to filter username here...

If you're concerned about SQL injections, one of the best preventative measures is to use a parameterized query which JMcIlhinney has an article on in the VB.Net codebank.

I think it's a validation routine, not a authentication... you know the rules, at least 57 characters, no more than 128, use letters, upper and lower, 12 must be symbols, but not next to each other, must include a 24-digit number but no consecutive numbers, typed in Greek and must result in a limerick.

And that's just the username. Passwords can only be 8 characters, have at least 1 number, 1 letter, 1 symbol, and contain both upper and lower case letters.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

Thanks dday9 I will follow this parameterized query tutorial. But also want to provide other security measures.

But the command of mine above is actually doing the opposite thing. It is actually not allowing the regex patter in the username. It is escaping the regex on pattern and allowing other characters other than the regex. How can I reverse the process???

tg can you please provide me most secure regex pattern for both username and password???

Hyperactive Member

I am not able to find the post of parameterized sql query of JMcIlhinney in the CodeBank. My searching knowledge is a bit low. Can someone provide me his thread link please???

Can someone provide me his thread link please???
    I found JMcIlhinney's blog post Using Parameters in ADO.NET here: http://jmcilhinney.blogspot.com/2009...in-adonet.html

If I find the vbforums codebank thread I'll also post it.

Edit: Here is the codebank thread: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ight=parameter
    Last edited by dday9; Jan 29th, 2015 at 12:04 PM.

Parametize your query and you won't need to worry about SQL Injections. Don't use Regex to help you prevent SQL Injections because you will run into many problems.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Your RegEx is slightly wrong in that you're not escaping the minus character. Use the backslash to escape the minus character and you should be fine. I was able to determine this by plugging your RegEx into http://www.regexr.com/ and when I did so it pointed out the error.
    In addition to the error in the RegEx pattern that DDay9 pointed out, you also have a logical error in your If statement:
    Code:
    If UsernameRegex.Success Then MsgBox("Do not use illegal characters on the username field!!!", MsgBoxStyle.Information, "Information") : tbx_username.Focus() : Exit Sub
    According to this condition, if the username text matches the RegEx pattern, it will spit out an error message. But I think you want the opposite; if the username doesn't match, then toss the error. BTW, although you are able to connect multiple lines together, it is usually frowned upon... It make it more difficult to read (esp. for others reading your code), it is more difficult to debug (eg you can't just comment out a line), and if there are changes to be made, you have to edit and test the entire line. Finally, I'd use a MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation or MsgBoxStyle.Critical as MsgBoxStyle.Information is used more for general, non-error messages whereas the former styles are used to alert the user to an error.

Addicted Member

Hi friends,
    You can use regexbuddy to test regex streams.
    Regards

Allow the user to choose their user name (e-mail address is nice). Allow the user to pick their password with few restrictions (typically just at least 8 characters). Anything else is annoying and worthless. Using regex is just a pointless exercise in this case.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Hyperactive Member

Thanks you all for the suggestion guys...Thanks a lot...Problem solved...

Re: [RESOLVED] How to validate username and password using regex?

I spy with my eye a full stop