Thread: [RESOLVED] Identifing a instance of a multiple form

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Identifing a instance of a multiple form

Hello.

I have created 5 instances of the same form and add them to a panel.

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

For i = 1 to 5

Dim form2 As New Form2()

form2.TopLevel = False

Me.Panel1.Controls.Add(form2)

form2.Show()
    Next i

End Sub

The Question is if i want to move one of the forms to another panel how do i identify a particular form in the panel (that is they are all named form2).

Thank you.

Re: Identifing a instance of a multiple form

Well, they'd be in the Controls collection in the order that you added them, but I wouldn't rely on that, since they could be anywhere in that Controls collection (though they'd probably be items 0-4, unless there are other controls on the panel). What I'd do is have either a List(of Form2) and add them to that as well as to the Controls collection, or if you wanted to be able to identify them by some means other than index, then use a Dictionary (of someUsefulType, Form2), where someUsefulType is whatever you want to use to identify them, whether a string, a number, or something more exotic.

I guess I should add that, if you used the Dictionary, then whatever you set as the key for the form you could also add to the .Tag property of the form such that the form would be able to look itself up in the dictionary.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Lively Member

Re: Identifing a instance of a multiple form

Thank u i have done some more reading on Controls collectin. getting the hang of it.