Thread: Need a VBA Macro to re-arrange the Data in a specified format

Lively Member

Post Need a VBA Macro to re-arrange the Data in a specified format

Dear All,

I have two worksheets in the attachment.

One sheet contains Raw-Data
    Another sheet contains data re-arranged in a different format.

Is it possible to build a macro to use data from the ("Raw Data" worksheet) and re-arrange it to the ("ReAarrange format" worksheet) format?

Can some one please help me with the macro?

Best Regards
    Ammu
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lively Member

Re: Need a VBA Macro to re-arrange the Data in a specified format

Dear All,

Can someone please help me with the code?

PowerPoster

Can you show us what you've attempted so far to help us get started?

Lively Member

Thanks for responding to my thread vbfbryce. I am a commerce graduate and don't have much knowledge about VBA macros, but I tried several times and wasn't able to understand VBA concepts.

At this point I can do the changes to the existing macros, but I cannot build a new macro from the beginning, since I am not sure how many variables that I need in this situation, should I use loops if yes, then which loop should I be using etc.

Hence request you to help me with the code only this time.

Going forward, I will make sure that I do my level best to write the code and test it and if I stuck somewhere, then I will post in this forum. I promise.

Please help this time.

Best Regards
    Amrutha

Lively Member

I also request you and forum members to help me understand the VBA concepts step by step in a easy way (any links etc). Please help me guys. I am interested in learning, but since I don't understand these concepts, I am getting demotivated.

When I am given a task like this, then I will get tensed and don't know what to do.

PowerPoster

Not a problem that you "don't have much knowledge." I would suggest starting with a step by step run down of what you're trying to do, both for your own benefit and for the benefit of those of us who might try to help you.

I've taken a look at his file, and it's IMO a lot of work (merged cells, you have to skip rows, you have to access fixed rows and what not).

at 100% concentration, and not being disturbed during it: at least 1 hour of work
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Frenzied Member

your process is easy to do...but ou will need to have a grounding in what is needed and will need to identify where unambiguous data can be collected.

The forum is not the best place to learn this, but is a place where the learning can be exposed for the benefit of others.

If you would like to start to learn about the problem and its solution please PM me and I will take you through what you need to know to solve this problem!

here to help

Fanatic Member

When it comes to converting tables into a new format its quite simple and just requires you do it step by step and not be consumed by the project as a whole.

i havent seen your data but it doesnt matter its always the same story.
    start with the first column on the desired format table, what is it and how do you get the format you need........ write a simple macro to do it

example it maybe a phone number that needs all the + removed and put into the cell, study the whole column of your raw data and see if you can simply just remove the first character,one your certain if this will work then do just that. To make life easier use Trim() on everything you send into your functions unless for some reason its a bad idea.... cannot think why that would be though

Code:
    public function GetPhoneNumber(FromData as text) as text
    GetPhoneNumber = Right(FromData, Len(FromData) - 1)' this will get everything except first character
    End Function
    Do this over and over again for all columns, dont worry about the rows, just make sure you can do it for just 1 row

after you have all the functions done then its simple, you just loop all rows and call each function get the new data and put it in the new sheet

the most important thing you need to know (apart from VBA itself lol), account for the differences that are likely to appear in the raw data, names with or without prefixes, numbers with or without codes etc, one you know allthe possibilities you can just code it in the functions

NEVER WORK ON YOUR ORIGINAL RAW DATA ...... just a tip

Hope this helps a little.
    Yes!!!
    Working from home is so much better than working in an office...
    Nothing can beat the combined stress of getting your work done on time whilst
    1. one toddler keeps pressing your AVR's power button
    2. one baby keeps crying for milk
    3. one child keeps running in and out of the house screaming and shouting
    4. one wife keeps nagging you to stop playing on the pc and do some real work.. house chores
    5. working at 1 O'clock in the morning because nobody is awake at that time
    6. being grossly underpaid for all your hard work