Thread: Help Needed with a basic threading Problem

Lively Member

Help Needed with a basic threading Problem

Hi all
    I am just trying multi-threading for the first time and would appreciate some help.
    I have written a small console app with a class that reads strings and counts occurrences of words which is a simple app just to try out Multi threading.
    The app works perfectly and when I run the class in two threads it is still working well.

It writes each word to the console and so that I could indicate which word was produced by which Thread I gave the class a color property which it uses to print to the console.

Most of the time it works well but sometimes the words do not come out in the right colour.
    I assume that, as the console is shared between threads, if one thread interrupted the other between setting the forecolour and writing the word then the word will get written in the wrong colour.
    So I added Synclock Code

the code is
    Dim lockThis As New Object
    SyncLock lockThis
    'Lock so that colour does not change '''' This does not work ! I probably do not understand Synclock!
    Console.ForegroundColor = PropertyForecolour
    Console.WriteLine(MyWord.Word & "=" & MyWord.count)
    End SyncLock

Why doesn't this Work?
    What else could I try?

advice most appreciated

Mike

Re: Help Needed with a basic threading Problem

While I know nothing about the console, are you locking everything on the same object?
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Sinecure devotee

Accidently duplicated post, so "deleting" this one.
    Last edited by passel; Jan 16th, 2015 at 05:05 PM.

Sinecure devotee

Yes, we can't tell by that snippet of code, but it looks like you might be declaring lockThis with a local scope.
    It has to be accessible to both (or more) threads, so when one thread locks it, the others have to wait until is is released.
    You could make it Static in a sub, and have both threads call that sub, passing the color and MyWord structure to the sub.
    The SyncLock would prevent simultaneous access to the Console manipulation lines.
    Code:
    Private Sub WriteToConsole( c as ConsoleColor, w as WordStructure)  ' or WordClass, or whatever MyWord is
      Static lockThis As New Object
      SyncLock lockThis
        Console.ForegroundColor = c
        Console.WriteLine(w.Word & "=" & w.count)
      End SyncLock
    End Sub
    I'll actually have to test that as I don't usually declare an object both Static and New in a sub. Have to verify it only creates the object once and reuses it for every subsequent call.

p.s. A quick test seems to indicate it works fine. The hashcode for the object stays the same for every call, so I believe that indicates it is only created once. If you start doing a "Mark" edit selection, the console stops updating so can confirm that thread1 is always cyan and thread2 is always red.
    If you comment out the synclock and end synclock, the colors are wrong quite often so synclock is doing what it is suppose to do.
    My quick test code
    Code:
    Module Module1
      Dim Thread1 As New Threading.Thread(AddressOf back1)
      Dim Thread2 As New Threading.Thread(AddressOf back2)

Structure WordStructure
        Public Word As String
        Public Count As Integer
      End Structure

Sub Main()
        Thread1.IsBackground = True
        Thread2.IsBackground = True
        Thread1.Start()
        Thread2.Start()
        Dim s As String = Console.ReadLine
      End Sub

Private Sub back1()
        Dim myWord As WordStructure
        myWord.Word = "Thread1 is here"
        For i As Integer = 1 To 100000
          myWord.Count = i
          WriteToConsole(ConsoleColor.Cyan, myWord)
        Next
      End Sub

Private Sub back2()
        Dim myWord As WordStructure
        myWord.Word = "Thread2 is here"
        For i As Integer = 1 To 100000
          myWord.Count = i
          WriteToConsole(ConsoleColor.Red, myWord)
        Next
      End Sub

Private Sub WriteToConsole(c As ConsoleColor, w As WordStructure)  ' or WordClass, or whatever MyWord is
        Static lockThis As New Object
        SyncLock lockThis
          Console.WriteLine(w.Word & "=" & w.Count & "   " & lockThis.GetHashCode.ToString)
        End SyncLock
      End Sub
    End Module
    Last edited by passel; Jan 16th, 2015 at 11:02 AM.

This counts words based on starting letter and shows the counts with a random color. Runs fine with the synclock, and the error is reproduced if the synclock is removed or the lock object scope is moved inside the sub.

Code:
    Module Module1

Dim theLetters As String = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
        Dim thrds As New List(Of Threading.Thread)
        Dim someColors As New List(Of ConsoleColor) From {ConsoleColor.White, ConsoleColor.Green, ConsoleColor.Red, ConsoleColor.Yellow}
        Dim prng As New Random

Sub Main()
            Dim ki As ConsoleKeyInfo
            Do
                thrds.Clear()
                Console.Clear()
                For Each ch As Char In theLetters
                    Dim thrd As New Threading.Thread(AddressOf countAndShow)
                    thrd.IsBackground = True
                    thrds.Add(thrd)
                    thrd.Start(ch)
                Next
                Debug.WriteLine("")
                Dim running As Integer = 0
                Do
                    Debug.WriteLine(running)
                    If running <> 0 Then Threading.Thread.Sleep(10)
                    running = 0
                    For Each t As Threading.Thread In thrds
                        If t.IsAlive Then running += 1
                    Next
                Loop While running > 0
                Console.WriteLine("Press C to run again")
                ki = Console.ReadKey(True)
            Loop While ki.Key = ConsoleKey.C
        End Sub

Dim tlock As New Object

Private Sub countAndShow(ch As Object)
            Dim theCh As Char = DirectCast(ch, Char)
            Dim ct As Integer = 0
            For Each w As String In ipsumA
                Dim wl As String = w.ToLowerInvariant
                If wl.StartsWith(theCh) Then ct += 1
            Next
            If ct > 0 Then
                Dim c As ConsoleColor = someColors(prng.Next(someColors.Count))
                SyncLock tlock
                    Console.WriteLine("There are {0} words that start with {1} .  Color = {2}", ct, theCh, c.ToString)
                End SyncLock
            End If
        End Sub

Dim ipsumA() As String = New String() {"Lorem", "ipsum", "dolor", "sit", _
                                               "amet", "consectetur", "adipisicing", _
                                               "elit", "sed", "do", "eiusmod", _
                                               "tempor", "incididunt", "ut", "labore", _
                                               "et", "dolore", "magna", "aliqua", "Ut", _
                                               "enim", "ad", "minim", "veniam", "quis", _
                                               "nostrud", "exercitation", "ullamco", _
                                               "laboris", "nisi", "ut", "aliquip", "ex", _
                                               "ea", "commodo", "consequat", "Duis", "aute", _
                                               "irure", "dolor", "in", "reprehenderit", "in", _
                                               "voluptate", "velit", "esse", "cillum", "dolore", _
                                               "eu", "fugiat", "nulla", "pariatur", "Excepteur", _
                                               "sint", "occaecat", "cupidatat", "non", "proident", _
                                               "sunt", "in", "culpa", "qui", "officia", "deserunt", _
                                               "mollit", "anim", "id", "est", "laborum"}

End Module
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein