Thread: VB6 Project Not Loading.

Lively Member

Question VB6 Project Not Loading.

Hello All,
    I have developed the project on windows 8.. I rebooted my OS (again Windows 8)..
    I have installed the Same Visual Basic Software..But when I open my project, it struck when Loading..
    After few minutes it shows the 'not responding' message and it close automatically..Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2914
Size:  15.5 KB

how can i solve this problem ??

Thank You

Hyperactive Member

Re: VB6 Project Not Loading.

it may seem odd and unrelated but worth a try. Disable Internet explorer 11 .
    i had issues with the vb6 installment for 3 hours i struggled until some genius on a random forum, at google's 3rd page suggested this, and it worked like a charm.

This should help: http://www.ghacks.net/2013/09/20/uni...t-explorer-11/

PowerPoster

Another thing you may want to try if you haven't already is to restart the computer. Sometimes they just need a good boot

Lively Member

Thanks Stum, I have disabled the Internet Explorer and restarted the computer but still it is not working..
    My doubt was in the OCX & DLL files...

DataMiser : The Problem which i'm was facing is more than one month...

Thanks Again

PowerPoster

Can you start VB and create a new project, just add a button save it close vb and then open that project?

If yes then how are you opening (or trying to open) the project?
    Do you have the IDE set to open as Admin?

Enjoy the moment

i had the same problem kamalkumar2023
    i uninstalled internet explorer 11 and re-registered the mscomctl.ocx file in
    windows/System32
    Code:
    regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\MSCOMCTL.OCX
    [SysWow64 if you have windows 64 bit]
    Code:
    regsvr32 c:\windows\SYSWOW64\MSCOMCTL.OCX

Hyperactive Member

I also think it's a problem with one of the OCXs. try this:

Make a backup of your project.

open your project's .VBP file in notepad. the top lines should show all your references and components

Example:
    Code:
    Type=Exe
    Reference=*\G{00020430-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}#2.0#0#C:\Windows\SysWOW64\stdole2.tlb#OLE Automation
    Reference=*\G{00000200-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}#2.0#0#C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\ado\msado20.tlb#Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.0 Library
    Reference=*\G{F5078F18-C551-11D3-89B9-0000F81FE221}#6.0#0#C:\Windows\System32\msxml6.dll#Microsoft XML, v6.0
    Object={831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}#2.0#0; mscomctl.ocx
    Now if you have 64bit OS, make sure the reference is toward C:\Windows\SYSWOW64 and not C:\Windows\System32. (for MOST of your OCXs)
    if it is
    try changing them one by one,save, and then try.
    else
    start a new project and add your project's references and components one by one to it via the IDE menus, save the project close VB and see if you can open it again.
    end if

once you eliminate all these we can continue

Also notice that WoW64 (windows on windows) which is implemented in the 64bit OS's will on most cases, literately block you from referencing stuff from C:\Windows\System32.
    by simply showing you C:\windows\syswow64 folder content instead, when browsing at C:\Windows\System32 via the reference menu.
    Last edited by stum; Jan 3rd, 2015 at 04:08 AM.

Lively Member

Yeah!!! I found the OCX..

I have added the reference and components one by one..when i'm adding the Microsoft Common Control 6.0 (mscomctl.ocx), it didn't add..it shows the not responding window and closed.....

Then i removed the mscomctl.ocx in system32 folder and place the new ocx which is downloaded and i registered it with command prompt...

But now the same problem occurs when i adding the ocx..and also my project is not loading...
    how can i solve this ???

Thanks Salsa and Stum..

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by kamalkumar2023 View Post
    Yeah!!! I found the OCX..

I have added the reference and components one by one..when i'm adding the Microsoft Common Control 6.0 (mscomctl.ocx), it didn't add..it shows the not responding window and closed.....

Then i removed the mscomctl.ocx in system32 folder and place the new ocx which is downloaded and i registered it with command prompt...

But now the same problem occurs when i adding the ocx..and also my project is not loading...
    how can i solve this ???

Thanks Salsa and Stum..

Uninstall - internet Explorer. that's exactly the issue i had.
    also try copying the ocx to syswow64.

Enjoy the moment

if your windows 8 is 32 bit then copy the ocx file to the Windows/system32 directory and register the ocx
    like this
    in the command prompt
    Code:
    regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\MSCOMCTL.OCX
    if your windows 8 is 64 bit then copy the ocx file to the Windows/SysWow64 directory and register the ocx like this
    in the command prompt
    Code:
    regsvr32 c:\windows\SYSWOW64\MSCOMCTL.OCX

Lively Member

I replaced the ocx file from the another computer and registered it..The Project works without any errors...

But in my forms (in this project) the components such as crystalreport,flexgrid,datetimepicker,progressbar are shown as picturebox..
    In the Reference Window there are every files are present which is ticked, no one is MISSING...

then why was the problem showing ?????

Thanks

gibra

I think you made some trouble, compromising the integrity of the components in your system.
    What you did not do it, you should not do. Never .
    Maybe it's better that rerun setup VB6 and choose the option 'Repair', then try if all works fine.
    If there are still errors then rerun the setup again and choose 'Reinstall'.

@ Salsa31
    You do not have to register ActiveX components by hand.
    Unfortunately, is a bad habit that many developers have, without realizing that jeopardize the integrity of others programs.
    I hope they do this even on the computers of their customers !!!

Enjoy the moment

You do not have to register ActiveX components by hand.
    so it will register by it self?
    please explain gibra

PowerPoster

The activex components are installed and registered where needed by the installer.
    There should be no need to manually do anything.

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by salsa31 View Post
    so it will register by it self?
    please explain gibra
    The registration of an ActiveX component 'must' increment a counter (in Registry) that keeps precisely NUMBER applications that use it.
    Then, when you uninstall an application from the system, the counter is decremented.

If you register a component 'by hand', the counter will NOT incremented, so when a user uninstalls a program, the risk is that the part is deleted from the system because it believes that it is no longer used.

Example:
    1. Customer PCs
    2. the system is already in control myControl.ocx which is used by one application named FIRSTAPP.EXE
    3. Now you copy your new program myApp.exe in customer PCs that also uses myControl.ocx but you registers this component 'by hand'
    4. The system still knows that myControl.ocx is used by one application only, because you have not incremented the counter!
    5. Later, the customer uninstall the FIRSTAPP.EXE application so the counter is decremented: from 1 to 0
    When the counter is 0, then the setup tells him (customer) that myControl.ocx is no longer used and suggested removing it. The customer, of course, removes it (and he's right).

Afterwards the customer go to start your application myApp.exe that no longer work (Runtime Error 429 - ActiveX Component Can't Create Object), because there is no control myControl.ocx (which was removed).

This is why the programs must be installed (NOT copied) using an installer to create the setup.
    Not only that, developers also have the duty to study and learn how to create the setup done well to avoid disasters in the customers' computers that are not ours, to which we provide a professional service.