Thread: c# or vb.net ?

c# or vb.net ?

i find it hard to go together with both languages , c# hasn't been my strong side , i prefer vb .
    most of the project i undertook was c# asp.net .
    i know that both c# and vb have same concepts and features ,but from
    career point of view which is more beneficial .

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: c# or vb.net ?

If I was to hazard a guess I'd say that the career prospects in C# are marginally better but not by much. The languages are awefully similar, though, so you'll be able to switch later easily enough. I wouldn't agonise too much over the decision. If you're more comfortable with VB then go with it. Later you might want to revisit some of your projects and translate them to C# just to prove to yourself that you can.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

If I was to hazard a guess I'd say that the career prospects in C# are marginally better but not by much
    Hmm that depends where you live i think. In the North West (UK) there are definitely more C# jobs and they pay more.

Also most .Net Web development jobs want C# over VB.Net so you may want to consider that.

Have you had a look at the job boards where you live?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

here most of them prefer c# over vb . i am mostly into .net web developments.

It depends on where you are, and how hard you look. I should know. I've built a career on VB for the last 20+ years. But, I've also had to move to stay with it too. But they are out there. If you need to, work with a recruiter or a consulting firm.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

As already mentioned by others, it depends on the area you are looking for work. Five years ago it was VB.NET and now the shift is to C# followed by C# and VB.NET together so to manage solutions that were created in VB but staff has migrated to C# and left apps to sunset that were created in VB. In today's world it's best to learn both languages. Also consider looking at other areas if you can not find a job with the language of choice which is what I did, moved 3,500 miles across country way before VB was around. What was interested in my case, across the country Nantucket Clipper was in high demand while in my area zilch demand.

For a professional career, its C# hands down. It may be a bit more of a learning curve but the majority of jobs for the past 5 years have been dominated by C#. Plus once you know it and a job needs some VB, thats easy to change to vs the other way around. VB is sadly on the decline
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

gee thanks for clearing my mind , c# it is then .

c# code can easily be converted onto vb....

FunkyDexter, I reckon that is why I reckon Microsoft made the languages interchangeable in the new versions of Visual Studios.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

c# code can easily be converted onto vb
    Once you've got the hand of it, yes, very easily. It's really just a case of changing how you declare variables and functions and weeding out some semi colons and curly brackets.

FunkyDexter, I reckon that is why I reckon Microsoft made the languages interchangeable in the new versions of Visual Studios
    I agree. They want to hammer home the point that they're basically the same language.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

And with the parity between them getting closer and closer Microsoft hit the nail on the head
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Given that the idea behind the .NET platform is interoperability between the languages (AKA, you're not tied to one language), if you are finding development easier in C#, and the rest of the team agrees, I would say work on the other components in C#. But, overall, VB.NET and C# can accomplish the same tasks. One thing to think about - is the reason the C# work going faster/easier because you understand it? If the rest of the team doesn't understand C#, but knows VB.NET, that will most likely take precedence.
    Last edited by bestellen; Sep 15th, 2015 at 01:30 PM.