Thread: Need Help : COM control in Aspx

Addicted Member

Need Help : COM control in Aspx

I am having COM control.

I am able to use this in Windows Application.

I tried to use it in my aspx application. I am able to create an instance of the control through code and see all the methods / properties / events associated with the control obj intasnce in code. But I am unable to see the UI of the control.

Please help.
    Pavan Kumar

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: Need Help : COM control in Aspx

Of course you cant !!!

Com is a windows technology, You cannot load a com control into a web page they are fundamentally different.

What you need to do is recreate the functionality of your com control, i would strongly advise looking into JavaScript controls and how you could recreate your functionality for the web.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I tried created a Runtime Callable Wrapper and using it in aspx.

I could write code to create an instance of the control. From the instance I could brose the methods etc,

But how to place the UI on the page is still not worked out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    Of course you cant !!!

Com is a windows technology, You cannot load a com control into a web page they are fundamentally different.

What you need to do is recreate the functionality of your com control, i would strongly advise looking into JavaScript controls and how you could recreate your functionality for the web.
    Cute Member

Addicted Member

Of course you cant !!!

OH!! I cant browse other options as this COM Control I am using is from a third party vendor's product (which I bought the full suite of). This vendor does not provide a web control and when I approached him, he suggested creating a COM wrapper (TLBImp) and proceeding with it.

I tried the approach but could not place the control on the page since it does not appear in the tool box. The DLL appears in project >> references.

In the .cs I could create an object of the wrapper and from the object I could browse the methods (as mentioned in the post by cutamacious ) but I dont know how to place the control on the page.

This is where I am seeking help on!!!!
    Pavan Kumar

King of sapila

You have to create something that will interpret the control to html code in order to be show at the page.
    Can you do that?
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

In the .cs I could create an object of the wrapper and from the object I could browse the methods (as mentioned in the post by cutamacious ) but I dont know how to place the control on the page.

This is where I am seeking help on!!!!
    Well look i know you can browse the methods and turn it into a dll, BUT i am telling you now this is a really bad idea.

Even if you could do it, which i highly doubt ( if the control uses any complex controls at all like a grid then there is no chance at all!) You shouldnt do it !!!

You are likely to leave a great big security hole in the middle of your app. This is one of the reason Microsoft ActiveX controls have become less popular over time.

What does this third Party control do? maybe we can suggest a proper web alternative given a bit of information?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

King of sapila

You are likely to leave a great big security hole in the middle of your app. This is one of the reason Microsoft ActiveX controls have become less popular over time.
    Totally agree but here is the problem i see in a lot of big companies (and my own), they have combined their DB business logic with Web logic and various reporting tools that use Active X (mostly to run office components) that is not only a security issue but also a Iexplorer specific problem because most of our web reports will only run on Iexplorer but it will cost a great amount of cash to break out. Although i must say that they protection I've seen here is impressive and accurate so i am kinda little less worried.

Anyhow if the OP want to create an ActiveX control then i see no other way for his requirement, unless we can help on pointing something web alike that will do something similar. But you just can't buy a Com control and expect it to run on web too. Look at Devexpress. They have good controls for win forms and since they couldn't replicate them they created some terrible monsters that will hunt down your kids and they named them Web Controls (aka i run on the server and pretend to be a javascript little control...Whos a good control?! Whjos a good control?! You are , yes you are you little Dev Filter control (and then i puked)) . So yeah, what does this control do?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    You have to create something that will interpret the control to html code in order to be show at the page.
    Can you do that?

I have tried to use the object tag. But then it does not show me the control on the page netier can I access it in the code behined
    Pavan Kumar

Addicted Member

Well look i know you can browse the methods and turn it into a dll, BUT i am telling you now this is a really bad idea.

Even if you could do it, which i highly doubt ( if the control uses any complex controls at all like a grid then there is no chance at all!) You shouldnt do it !!!

What does this third Party control do? maybe we can suggest a proper web alternative given a bit of information?

I know that this is a security loop hole. But I am stuck with the control. This is to do with chemical drawings and interpreting the drawing into the related data liken names etc.

I could not find any other solution in aspx for that. I dont have time to crate my own solution from the beginning.

If you can suggest me some solution I will follow in that direction
    Pavan Kumar

Addicted Member

Totally agree but here is the problem i see in a lot of big companies (and my own), they have combined their DB business logic with Web logic and various reporting tools that use Active X (mostly to run office components) that is not only a security issue but also a Iexplorer specific problem because most of our web reports will only run on Iexplorer but it will cost a great amount of cash to break out. Although i must say that they protection I've seen here is impressive and accurate so i am kinda little less worried.

Anyhow if the OP want to create an ActiveX control then i see no other way for his requirement, unless we can help on pointing something web alike that will do something similar. But you just can't buy a Com control and expect it to run on web too. Look at Devexpress. They have good controls for win forms and since they couldn't replicate them they created some terrible monsters that will hunt down your kids and they named them Web Controls (aka i run on the server and pretend to be a javascript little control...Whos a good control?! Whjos a good control?! You are , yes you are you little Dev Filter control (and then i puked)) . So yeah, what does this control do?

This control that I am trying to use is from a third party. It came with the installation of the product. I tried contacting them for web controls but I got no response.Now I am totally stuck with this com control. This control is all about Chemical drawings and rendering relevant data. This works beautifully with Windows application in DOTNET. I tried creating a user control out of it and publishing but still it does not. show the control.
    Pavan Kumar

PowerPoster

In case you can at least create an instance of it at the server-side ... *and*
    - the control has the ability to perform its rendering internally, based on a given set of parameters you got from the Browser-side *and*
    - it can export these internally rendered result either as a *.jpg or a *.png (even a *.bmp would do)

then you can redirect its output from the Server-side into an appropriate container at the Browser-side
    (which in the simplest case would be an img-container - but could also be a HTML5-canvas, in case
    you need a bit more clientside interaction on the image-result.

Olaf

King of sapila

The simplest i can think of is what Olaf says. Use every damn property there is for the control and use a asp.net web control. Try putting everything in the asp.net control(saying that, assuming that it would be easier for you on .net rather than Javascript controls). Other than that, if the control is a black box then you are stuck...

Now I am totally stuck with this com control.
    Oh Dear i just don't believe you will ever get this to work how you want!!!

Personally i think you should be going back to who ever is asking you to do this, and try and explain to them you do not have the tools to do what they are asking.

I had a little look on line and is your third party plugin something like this ?

As this has a web version, you should be going back to your boss and try and explain to them a web control is what you need to make a web version of your app.

If not then good luck as your gonna need it !

Addicted Member

Oh Dear i just don't believe you will ever get this to work how you want!!!

Personally i think you should be going back to who ever is asking you to do this, and try and explain to them you do not have the tools to do what they are asking.

I had a little look on line and is your third party plugin something like this ?

As this has a web version, you should be going back to your boss and try and explain to them a web control is what you need to make a web version of your app.

If not then good luck as your gonna need it !

Yes. Similar to the control that you have pointed but with more features.

That is the reason we need to work only with this control.

The vendor is not putting up any web controls for the product I have and I cant use the one that you have suggested since that needs purchase of another drawing tool with less features.
    Last edited by pavan; Dec 22nd, 2014 at 06:23 AM.
    Pavan Kumar

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    In case you can at least create an instance of it at the server-side ... *and*
    - the control has the ability to perform its rendering internally, based on a given set of parameters you got from the Browser-side *and*
    - it can export these internally rendered result either as a *.jpg or a *.png (even a *.bmp would do)

then you can redirect its output from the Server-side into an appropriate container at the Browser-side
    (which in the simplest case would be an img-container - but could also be a HTML5-canvas, in case
    you need a bit more clientside interaction on the image-result.

Olaf

That was a good suggestion. But then I cant use a image to show the data. It has to be in line editing of the drawing.
    Pavan Kumar

Addicted Member

The simplest i can think of is what Olaf says. Use every damn property there is for the control and use a asp.net web control. Try putting everything in the asp.net control(saying that, assuming that it would be easier for you on .net rather than Javascript controls). Other than that, if the control is a black box then you are stuck...

I was also looking for some open source / freeware / shareware etc., for such type of controls.

I stumbled upon this, which provides a dotnet assembly, but then this also has the same problem. And this also outputs to a image not a editable chemical drawing.
    Pavan Kumar

That is the reason we need to work only with this control.
    You will not get this control to work in the web!!!!

Your only options are

1, Go round to the company supplying the control and threaten to break there arm if they don't give you a web control version

2, Find a different web control that does close enough to what you want and use that.

3, go back to your boss and give him the bad news that what he is asking is not possible and you should stick with a desktop version.

King of sapila

There is another solution. Although you must get approval from the vendor to use it.
    Disassemble the control. If this is a .net control and not a com control then you can easily open the dll and see what it exactly do. I hope you have a bunch of good programmers there as this gonna be difficult. If this is a com control, meaning it was not created in any version or code of visual studio VB or C# then it will be more difficult, if possible, and the amount and time paid to do so would be greater than buying a new set of controls.
    Unless if you guys are pure C and Assembly people. then this would be very simple to you.
    Anyhow writing here hoping to get that thing to work, don't think will happen, you must take another path.

Disassemble the control
    Ha good luck with that !

you must take another path.
    Now we are on the same page.

I know this may be hard to hear but you are really being stitched up by however is expecting you to do this.

You should be going back to them and telling them why you cannot do this UNLESS you have an appropriate Web control !!!