Thread: Funtion Question

Funtion Question

If I have function that uses If Then and ElseIF statements. Is there a way to have the result of each ElseIf called up in the main form so that I can have a separate message box displayed for each failed ElseIf? I cant have the messages boxes displayed in the function itself because I use the function for something else that doesnt need the messages boxes if they fail. So Here is my function:

If FirstDigit.StartsWith("0") Xor FirstDigit.StartsWith("1") Then
    Return False
    ElseIf SecondDigit.StartsWith("9") Then
    Return False
    ElseIf FirstDigitExchange.StartsWith("0") Or FirstDigitExchange.StartsWith("1") Then
    Return False
    ElseIf ExchangeCodeMiddle.StartsWith("1") And ExchangeCodeEnd.StartsWith("1") Then
    Return False
    ElseIf AreaExchangeCode.StartsWith("800555") Then
    Return True
    ElseIf ExchangeCodeFull.StartsWith("555") Then
    Return False

Else
    Return True

End If

Re: Funtion Question

The solution would be to return an enumerator. And in your main application act accordingly. Or you could throw like a custom exception

so like this.

If FirstDigit.StartsWith("0") Xor FirstDigit.StartsWith("1") Then
    Throw New Exception("Must start with 1 or 0")
    ElseIf SecondDigit.StartsWith("9") Then
    Throw New Exception("blah")
    ElseIf FirstDigitExchange.StartsWith("0") Or FirstDigitExchange.StartsWith("1") Then
    Throw New Exception("Toph")
    ElseIf ExchangeCodeMiddle.StartsWith("1") And ExchangeCodeEnd.StartsWith("1") Then
    Throw New Exception("lol")
    ElseIf AreaExchangeCode.StartsWith("800555") Then
    Return True
    ElseIf ExchangeCodeFull.StartsWith("555") Then
    Throw New Exception("hdhhdh")

Else

Return True

End If

not to familiar with Throw Exceptions or how to use them to display a message box

Try

NumberIsValid("")
    Catch Ex As Exception
    Messagebox.Show(Ex.Message.ToString())

End Try

If the method is intended to convey more than true or false change the return type to something with multiple values, like integer or string. Each of your if's would return a different value.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Throwing an exception is probably the worst thing you can do. They are costly and then you have to handle them from your calling code. It is an option, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I would either break each check into a different function, and then display the message as appropriate. Or create an enumeration type that the function would then return, with which you can then display different messages for.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *