Thread: Windows 10 will be Windows 10

PowerPoster

Windows 10 will be Windows 10

Microsoft Confirms that Windows 10 will also be Version 10 Internally - Sort of

I don't know. And I don't really think that kind of thing matters, regardless. But I do find this version number bump to be curious and pointless, and it's something that will disadvantage both developers—who will need to update their version checking code in both desktop and web applications—and users, who will find that some of the apps they use don't work anymore.

But then, maybe that is the point. By making this artificial change, Microsoft can implicitly prevent older and out of date applications from running in Windows 10, and the net effect will be a more stable and reliable experience for everyone.
    So breaking applications is a good thing?

I have to agree with Paul on this, Windows 10 does not appear to be a major OS change at all (unlike Windows 2000 and Windows Vista were).

It just looks like Marketing has its hooks deeper into the company than before and they have some odd goals, such as trying to de-confuse laymen while planting the thought that Windows 10 is somehow more new or special than it really is while breaking old code in hopes of making people buy new...

... or will this merely fuel the trend of jumping off the Microsoft ship?

PowerPoster

Re: Windows 10 will be Windows 10

Version-lie appcompat should at least defuse the potential problem - assuming it applies to installers, which for normal MSI packages it did not in the past.

Do you wear a tinfoil hat as well?

The best reason for the name that I have heard is because people already know what Windows 9 means. It is Win95 or Win98. So, if they made a new Windows 9 they'd break a bunch of existing code. So, now people are suspecting that they chose this name because they WANT to break a bunch of existing code? Perhaps it would be safest to say that whatever they do is going to draw criticism from those who want to criticize MS, of which you are in abundant company.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

He was talking about the internal version number of Windows 10 being 10 as well. For Windows 8 for instance the internal version number is 6.2.

This guy Paul's post is just pure speculation on why something fairly minor might be. I really fail to see why this is a big thing.

I don't see how this breaks version checking code people may have in there apps which is one of the things in the article, unless they have stupid version checking code which they should fix anyway.

Even the bit about potentially breaking old apps is just speculation as well, just that guys opinion.

Why don't we wait until it is released to say how great / rubbish it is as at least then we will be going of real information.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post

Why don't we wait until it is released to say how great / rubbish it is as at least then we will be going of real information.
    Ok, I'll bite: Where's the fun in that?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    The best reason for the name that I have heard is because people already know what Windows 9 means. It is Win95 or Win98. So, if they made a new Windows 9 they'd break a bunch of existing code.
    That turns out not to be the case.

Windows 95 was version 4.0, Windows 98 was version 4.10, Windows Me was 4.90. Platform (dwPlatformId) was returned as VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS (i.e. 1), as opposed to VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT (value 2).

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    He was talking about the internal version number of Windows 10 being 10 as well. For Windows 8 for instance the internal version number is 6.2.
    Er, there are no "internal" version numbers, just version numbers.

Windows 98, Windows 7, etc. are just soft fluffy marketing names for releases and not version numbers at all.
    Last edited by dilettante; Nov 27th, 2014 at 07:00 AM.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Er, there are no "internal" version numbers, just version numbers.
    You know what i meant, as far as most consumers are concerned Windows 98, Windows 7 e.t.c. they are the version numbers. While that may not technically be correct, does it even matter? i was just using the word internal to differentiate and it didn't change any of the context of my post.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you