Thread: Updating dll problem

PowerPoster

Updating dll problem

I have a very large old VB6 app that interfaces with Sage 50 Accounting software (it used to be called Peachtree) to create invoices and import them into the accounting software. The problem is every year the client updates the Sage 50 to the newest version. When this happens the old dll that I'm references is removed and a new one is installed. Usually I just download and install a 30 day trial version of the software and this allows me to set the proper references. Then I just upload the new exe to the client. This year there trial version is all do online so I have to come up with a different solution.

My question is can I put the dlls I need in a different location, like maybe the apps program folder. Then set the references to the new location, create a new exe and install program. Then run the new install on the clients machine. Would this solve this problem or is there a better solution.

I have another app that also interfaces with the accounting software but I wrote that .Net and I should be able to solve this problem by embedding the interop.

Any information on this issue would be appreciated.

PowerPoster

Re: Updating dll problem

What about using late binding instead of a hard reference, that way it is not version dependent and you should not have to change anything when the update the dll

PowerPoster

DataMiser,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how to do that, been a long time since I did much programming in VB6 but I'll do a little research and see if I can make that work.

PowerPoster

DataMiser,

I've been doing this,
    Code:
    Global Application As PeachtreeAccounting.Application
    Global Login As New PeachtreeAccounting.Login
    Global Exporter As PeachtreeAccounting.Export
    Global Importer As PeachtreeAccounting.Import
    If I do this instead,
    Code:
        Dim Application As Object, Login As Object, Exporter As Object, Importer As Object
        Set Application = CreateObject("Peachtree.Application")
        Set Login = CreateObject("Peachtree.Login")
        Set Exporter = CreateObject("Peachtree.Exporter")
        Set Importer = CreateObject("Peachtree.Import")
    Then the version won't matter. Do I still need the reference.

Sorry I can't test this on my machine but my trial version from last year has expired and I can't open the accounting software. I would like to have a clear understanding of what I'm doing before I start mucking around on my client computers.

PowerPoster

You need to remove the reference else it will still be bound to the specific version that is referenced.