Thread: Website analytics and free hit counter

Website analytics and free hit counter

I need some suggestion on how I will increase traffic counter on my site as well as website hit counters? I am starting out to promote my own website organically but don't know how to do it. also I want to know about free web stats counter for my site & how will I get that. If anyone know about this please help me.
    Any help would be appreciated

Re: Website analytics and free hit counter

Just sign up for Google Analytics, and the Google Webmaster Tools. Effectively, you will get a code block from Google to insert into your webpages. Google will do the rest.

If you want to increase web traffic, study SEO (search engine optimization).

Thank You for valuable and quick reply.I am search out some free Analytics &hit couter site but Google Analytics like someone standing outside of a grocery store and putting a price tag on all the customers that enter the store. When those customers leave the store, Google can target ads directly to those people and these ads were purchased by a competing grocery store. This pushes up customer acquisition costs and reduces customer LTV (because of higher attrition).so that i cant perfer Google Analytics .and I Also search statscouter w3counter and gostats..I found analytics & free hit counter on goStats. So what you things about that??

Please let me know your wonderful opinion. Keep connect with me thanks "

Hello,

I can admire your goals, but I think even if you write your own code there is little that can be done to stop the unique experience that search providers like Google offer each of it's customers. You may not be aware of it, but we all get unique results from search engines like Google these days. Part of it can be based on your geo-location, while other factors depend on previous searches. Your browser leaks information like a sieve, and leaves a trail of bread-crumbs wherever you go.

This fine site, which has existed to serve programmers, seems like a free resource ... but it really isn't. It is in-part ads based, and you had to pass through these analytics/social/ads engines just to post here:

DoubleClick
    Facebook Connect
    Google Analytics
    Google+ Platform
    LinkedIn Widgets
    ScoreCard Research Beacon
    Twitter Button
    Vibrant Ads
    Webtrends

I am certain those sites customized ads just for you based on what it knows of you when you visited previous sites.

Unless I misunderstand your purposes for wanting a hit counter, I don't think you will be making a significant difference in using your own code over Google's. Even if a company claims they will not share their information today, they typically reserve the right to share it if they change their minds later. Data is big business, and you gave companies all over the world a ton of it when you loaded your browser, today.

Best wishes, and good luck.

Quiver

Woah Quiver! No, you don't understand! And this is a critically important topic that has gained attention in the last 2-3 years. Let me explain:

Google has a near monopoly on internet data. Giving more of your website's data to Google will extend that monopoly; but worse, it will sap your customers. If you have a site or business that makes money, then it is foolish to give data away to Google. (Unless you don't want to keep your customers and you have career aspirations to serve food at the google cafeteria). I've heard it called "data AIDS" in that if you infect your site with Google's "data stealing technology", your site will surely die a slow death no matter how much investment you put into it.

Now, you also mentioned all those other services that tie data into Google. But you are thinking about a personal level and not a business level. That's different. In this case, ensure that you are using browser tools such as "ad block plus - with the google ads blocked" and "ghosterly". Those tools will ensure that you block out the google nonsense.

As far as other companies (non-google) using your data. Have you checked the terms of service? There are a few providers who don't sell your data and provide a better experience than Google does by far. mattg1 mentioned gostats; personally I've tried both the .com and the .org (open source) version of gostats and prefer them; they also pass the data terms of service test for me.

I'd hate to sound all doom and gloom, but google is such a growing monopoly that I can't just sit idly by and watch the internet get ruined by their rampant abuse of power.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by topramen View Post
    Woah Quiver! No, you don't understand!
    I am not sure I agree that giving Google data will lead to demise, but I can still appreciate what you are saying. There is nothing wrong in trying to bypass Google, in general. I merely suggest that the people you are trying to protect probably walked right through a gauntlet of Google products to get to you, anyway. You passed through that very gauntlet to get here, yourself; this successful site uses Google products.

To use an analogy, you are offering free galoshes to everyone who will come visit you, but they have to hike through thick mud to get there.

I am sure there are very good alternatives to Google, but the original poster did not ask about that.

Best wishes, and welcome to VBForums.

Just install piwik on your webserver and be done with it. If you're running on a third-party hosting platform like cPanel, they will normally have awstats available to view from the cPanel page.
    CSS layout comes in to the 21st century with flexbox!
    Just another Perl hacker,

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver318 View Post
    I am not sure I agree that giving Google data will lead to demise, but I can still appreciate what you are saying. There is nothing wrong in trying to bypass Google, in general. I merely suggest that the people you are trying to protect probably walked right through a gauntlet of Google products to get to you, anyway. You passed through that very gauntlet to get here, yourself; this successful site uses Google products.

To use an analogy, you are offering free galoshes to everyone who will come visit you, but they have to hike through thick mud to get there.

I am sure there are very good alternatives to Google, but the original poster did not ask about that.

Best wishes, and welcome to VBForums.
    I'll go into more detail about how giving data away does lead to a site's demise. First, google makes money from data - they make money because they know more about a customer or business and so they can find the needle in the haystack and promote competing services (or their own internal products) to that customer. Sites that use google analytics give their data away and give google a huge advantage in terms of: 1) making ad prices in the vertical higher pushing up margins 2) forcing the low cost players (with larger ad budgets) into the space to acquire the new customers/members - these are companies that often have inferior products, but a strong and not very honest marketing department 3) In some cases, where it makes sense google will enter the market with all the data they they have gathered (think travel itineraries, forums, shopping, web hosting, transportation services, etc.) The problem that you are faced with is declining market share (even if your product is really great - say for example, vbforums which is awesome - but one day google decides to send more and more traffic over to some horrible alternative (say for example every 7th search term that would go to vb forums, now goes to the horrible google plus "circle" that may have some content, but it's been mostly dead for 6 months. Then over time, google increases that rate - however, they can accelerate the demise, by inserting ads into doubleclick that re-target vbforums users using the google analytics data. This targeting data grabs vbforums users upstream before they reach vbforums as they normally might from other sites. Google also gets a little bit smarter at this and begins to predict who may in the future become a vbforums user and snatch them at the sources before they even gain awareness of vbforums. All the while traffic decrease at vbforums, and these users and potential users have a hopeless time stuck in this mess called google "plus". (By the way, vbforums traffic has gone down relative to the industry - could google analytics play a part in that?)

And that's not to mention that google is a publicly traded company that has one reason to be (by law) = a fiduciary duty to maximize shareholder value. And if that means tricking unsuspecting webmasters into giving away their most valuable asset...

You are right, this site should not use google analytics, it's a horrible idea. But a glimmer of hope is that I block the google tracker whereever I go because of the browser plug-in I use.

I don't understand the analogy you made about the boots at all, I'm sorry. Can you expand on that? Or did my expanded detail help you to better see my side and the boots analogy no longer applies?

As for the other products, I thought OP was asking about alternatives, but in any case, if someone is asking about google analytics or removing google analytics, they probably want something capable to replace it with that doesn't steal their data.

Quote Originally Posted by topramen View Post
    I'll go into more detail about how giving data away does lead to a site's demise...
    I appreciate that you have taken the time to give thorough reply and to clarify your observations.

Nothing has changed, however. While I mean no insult, there are some assumptions in your post, and a named fallacy (Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc ("after this, therefore because of this").

I do clearly appreciate what you are saying about the evils of Google and their obvious position of bias, but I see no indication that Google actually needs installed analytics to do anything they wish with their own search results. If they want to push your site out of the first page in favor of others, they don't need your consent or any installed analytics to do it. A lot of factors, installed analytics or not; makes or breaks a site's rank. Conversely, feeding Google a site's data could just as easily show a site favor in the eyes of Google and push a site's relevance up, but I see no meaningful way to make that claim, either. I do think their web tools offer a wealth of information about who is viewing your site, and who is linked to it, how people found it, keywords, etc.

I am sorry my mud analogy was a bad example. I had hoped to be clearer.

Best wishes,

Quiver