Thread: [RESOLVED] How to setup FTP Server in Windows 7 via VB6 app?

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to setup FTP Server in Windows 7 via VB6 app?

Here is an example how to setup FTP Server in Windows 7 manualy:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadF...configuration/

But is it possible to setup FTP Server in Windows 7 via VB6 app? If yes then how? Because I have spend some time Googling and found nothing.

PowerPoster

Re: How to setup FTP Server in Windows 7 via VB6 app?

if you use some registry snapshot program to determine what changes are made by altering those setting, you may be able to do it by writing the registry keys from VB6, but i am sure the VB6 program would need to run elevated
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by westconn1 View Post
    if you use some registry snapshot program to determine what changes are made by altering those setting, you may be able to do it by writing the registry keys from VB6...
    Yes, I also thought about that but still decided to ask for help, maybe there is an easier and more proper way to do that. Anyway thanks westconn1 for suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by westconn1 View Post
    ...but i am sure the VB6 program would need to run elevated
    Yes, I know.

I will wait a bit more but if no one will provide solution, I think I will choose to use third party FTP server instead of trying to automate setup of default windows FTP server.

I wouldn't mind a bullet-proof VB6 FTP server myself. It would allow me to automate several functions that I tend to often do somewhat manually. I've mucked around with the Windows FTP server, but wound up in about the same place you're in.

I've used FileZilla for years, and always been very happy with it. A friend recommended CyberDuck but it seemed a bit clunky. I just have shortcuts (with command line options that go straight to my FTP site) for FileZilla, and am, in general, quite happy with it.

Again though, I must agree that having all the source code for a bullet-proof FTP server would be cool.

EDIT: You know? It dawns on me that you're saying "server", and I'm mostly thinking "client". That would also be cool to do in VB6.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

i think i have seen a ftp server post in codebank
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

PowerPoster

Even if you get that far (installing and configuring FTP into IIS) you have other admin chores ahead.

For one you have the user administration to do, at least to create an account or two. For another you have firewall configuration to do.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I wouldn't mind a bullet-proof VB6 FTP server myself. It would allow me to automate several functions that I tend to often do somewhat manually.
    Have you checked www.planet-source-code.com ?

I've used FileZilla for years, and always been very happy with it.
    I have tested many free FTP servers but main problem of them was that they did not supported files with Unicode characters in file name. That's mean that all files with Unicode characters in file name was not displayed at all or displayed with question marks "??????" instead of proper Unicode characters. Then I have tried FileZilla FTP server and it supported Unicode characters also very well fitted all my other requirements.

Again though, I must agree that having all the source code for a bullet-proof FTP server would be cool.
    You see I don't want to write whole FTP server in VB6, I just want to automate setup of default Windows FTP server via VB6 app. Also I don't want write FTP server in VB6 because VB6 applications doesn't support Unicode characters.
    But if you want to see an source code of FTP server written in VB6 you should check www.planet-source-code.com.

Thank you all guys for your help and replies. I think I will just stick with FileZilla FTP server instead of trying to automate setup of default Windows FTP server (it may be pain in the a** even if it is possible to do that). Thank you!
    Last edited by Lauriux1; Nov 20th, 2014 at 02:38 PM.