Thread: [RESOLVED] Expression Evaluator - Parenthesis and Negatives

Resolved [RESOLVED] Expression Evaluator - Parenthesis and Negatives

Hi y'all. I'm ultimately working towards a parser, but I figured that I'd start small and create an expression evaluator. This is what I have so far:
    Code:
        Private operators() As String = {"-", "+", "/", "*", "^"}

Public Function EvaluateExpression(ByVal expression As String) As Double
            For i As Integer = 0 To operators.Length - 1
                'Chose an operator to check
                Dim sign As String = operators(i)

'Get the last instance of the operator
                Dim lastPosition As Integer = expression.LastIndexOf(sign)

If lastPosition > -1 Then
                    'If there's an instance of the operator, then begin the recursion
                    Dim part1 As String = expression.Substring(0, lastPosition - GetSpacesBefore(lastPosition, expression))
                    Dim part2 As String = expression.Substring((lastPosition + 1) + GetSpacesAfter(lastPosition, expression))

'Calculate the left and right part of the expression based on the operator
                    If sign = "-" Then
                        Return EvaluateExpression(part1) - EvaluateExpression(part2)
                    ElseIf sign = "+" Then
                        Return EvaluateExpression(part1) + EvaluateExpression(part2)
                    ElseIf sign = "/" Then
                        Return EvaluateExpression(part1) / EvaluateExpression(part2)
                    ElseIf sign = "*" Then
                        Return EvaluateExpression(part1) * EvaluateExpression(part2)
                    Else
                        Return EvaluateExpression(part1) ^ EvaluateExpression(part2)
                    End If
                End If
            Next

'There are no operators, return the value
            Return CDbl(expression)
        End Function

Private Function GetSpacesBefore(ByVal index As Integer, ByVal input As String) As Integer

Dim counter As Integer = 0
            For x As Integer = index To 0 Step -1
                If input(x) = " " Then
                    counter += 1
                Else
                    Return counter
                End If
            Next

Return 0
        End Function

Private Function GetSpacesAfter(ByVal index As Integer, ByVal input As String) As Integer

Dim counter As Integer = 0
            For x As Integer = index To input.Length - 1
                If input(x) = " " Then
                    counter += 1
                Else
                    Return counter
                End If
            Next

Return 0
        End Function
    It allows the user to enter in an expression with however many spaces between the digits and the operators without the spacing being consistent. It follows PEMDAS, but what it does not account for is parenthesis which overrides PEMDAS and negative numbers. Right now as it sits, my code would produce a syntax error if the user attempted:
    Code:
    1 + -1
    Because it would literally translate it to one plus minus one, which syntactically is invalid.

With this being the math forum, I figured that I'd ask it here. How would I account for those two issues?
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Re: Expression Evaluator - Parenthesis and Negatives

Hi,

Just use a DataTable’s compute Method which is a fully functional Expression Evaluator:-

vb.net Code:
    1. Dim dt As New DataTable
    2. MsgBox(dt.Compute("1 + -1", Nothing))

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Ian

Only Slightly Obsessive jemidiah's Avatar

I feel I should have a disclaimer at the top of this post. Namely, you probably shouldn't have to write your own parser nowadays and should instead be able to use someone else's; if you do have to write a parser there are formal grammar options which have been thought through and time-tested, so again you should probably go read a book on parsers instead of reinventing the wheel; and finally it's more of a CS question than a math question, it's just that your grammar happens to be math-based at the moment.

In any case, I'd say you need to break things up into more steps. Parsing is usually a two-step process. Lexing is the first step, i.e. breaking input into logical chunks like "(", "1", "+", "-5.3", ")". Actual parsing is the next step, where you try to make logical sense of the list of chunks from lexing. Doing this sort of pre-processing could be used to fix your 1 + -1 issue. During the parsing step, it's almost certainly best to create an "abstract syntax tree" which logically represents the input, which can then be evaluated. For instance, "3 * (4 + 5 ^ 2) + -1" could first be lex'd as "3", "*", "(", "4", "+", "5", "^", "2", ")", "+", "-1". You could then recursively build up a tree, eg.

Code:
            "+"
           /   \
       "*"    "-1"
       /  \
    "3"  "+"
          /   \
        "4"  "^"
               /  \
            "5" "2"
    After you've constructed the parse tree it's very easy to write a recursive evaluation routine. Actually building the parse tree takes a bit of thought, though it's really not too bad. Mostly you have to match some parens and tell the computer how to handle precedence order. It's pretty similar to what you've already done, just more general.

To add parens in to your current code, I suppose you really just want the rightmost operator which is right of the rightmost right paren, eg. given (1+2)*3, you don't want + since there's a ) to its right, but you do want * since there's no ) to its right. There are some other issues to deal with, eg. (1) should evaluate to 1. I think it's not worth the time to try hacking this method together and that you should instead either reuse other people's code or write a basic lexer/parse tree creator.
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
    Bertrand Russell

<- Remember to rate posts you find helpful.

Just use a DataTable’s compute Method which is a fully functional Expression Evaluator
    Ideally I'd like to create my own. I'm really trying to understand how everything works.

that you should instead either reuse other people's code or write a basic lexer/parse tree creator.
    I have the lexer part down no issue. My biggest issue has been the parser. I've tried reading up on many different PDFs as well as I've purchased the dragon book, but I am having the biggest difficulty creating the parser.

Go here next. It's meaningful and will allow you to forget problems like parens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

RPN probably isn't an option here since that would force users to enter unusual syntax.

The shunting-yard algorithm is probably what you're after here. The example and description at the link are for converting to RPN, though you could just as well evaluate each time you pop an operator to the output queue and skip the RPN step in favor of direct evaluation. You can also modify it to spit out a syntax tree.

Is this what you're after?
    Bertrand Russell

Converting from the user input - in your lexical parser - into RPN format - allows for all paren issues to disappear - magic.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Sorry for getting back so late, the internet doesn't exist for me on the weekends.

I do like how the reverse polish notation takes care of the parenthesis. I will look into that to convert the normal algebraic expressions into RPN.

I've also decided to take jemidiah's response and use a lexer first to take care of my negative numbers.

Ok, after some reading. I made my way to this website. I'm following the shunting-yard algorithm, but I'm running into some issue that is not really a math question, more of a VB.Net question so what I'll do is post the question on the VB.Net forum.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    It allows the user to enter in an expression with however many spaces between the digits and the operators without the spacing being consistent. It follows PEMDAS, but what it does not account for is parenthesis which overrides PEMDAS and negative numbers. Right now as it sits, my code would produce a syntax error if the user attempted:
    Code:
    1 + -1
    Because it would literally translate it to one plus minus one, which syntactically is invalid.
    Ok, because the nerd in me is screaming... "one plus minus one, which syntactically is invalid" .. could someone please explain why? I'd interpret it (almost) the same way. one plus negative one. Or do you mean from a programmability view, it's syntactically incorrect?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

As my code sat at the moment of writing that, my recursion function would recognize negative 1(-1) as minus(operator) 1. So my function was basically doing this:
    Code:
    1(value) +(operator) -1(value)
    Would translate to:
    Code:
    1(value) +(operator) -(operator) 1(value)
    Since then, I've done things a bit differently to allow for negatives(see my post in VB.Net forums). I'm currently in the process of recognizing to many open/closed brackets.

Ah. Ok. That makes sense.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Here's a thread from ages ago that talked on this subject

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...182&viewfull=1

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Re: [RESOLVED] Expression Evaluator - Parenthesis and Negatives

I was able to:
    1. Convert an equation represented as a string into tokens
    2. Parse the equation as the same time as converting the expression into RPN
    3. Evaluate the RPN equation

Here is the code I used:
    Code:
    Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On
    Namespace ExpressionEvaluator

Public Class Token

Public Property Name As String
            Public Property Pattern As String
            Public Property Precedence As Integer
            Public Property Value As String

Public Function Clone(ByVal value As String) As Token
                Return New Token With {.Name = Me.Name, .Pattern = Me.Pattern, .Precedence = Me.Precedence, .Value = value}
            End Function

End Class

Public Class LexicalAnalyzer
            Public Property Definitions As List(Of Token)
            Public Property Exception As Exception
            Public Property Source As String

Public Function Scan() As List(Of Token)
                Dim tokens As List(Of Token) = New List(Of Token)

For Each item As String In Me.Source.Split({" "}, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries)
                    Dim found As Boolean = False
                    Dim regex As Text.RegularExpressions.Regex

For Each def As Token In Definitions
                        regex = New Text.RegularExpressions.Regex(def.Pattern)
                        found = regex.IsMatch(item)

If found Then
                            tokens.Add(def.Clone(item))
                            Exit For
                        End If
                    Next

If found = False Then
                        Me.Exception = New Exception(String.Format("Syntax Error:{0}'{1}' is not a parenthesis, operator, or valid number.", _
                                                        Environment.NewLine, item))
                        Return Nothing
                    End If
                Next

Return tokens
            End Function

Sub New()
                Me.Definitions = New List(Of Token)
                Me.Exception = Nothing
                Me.Source = String.Empty
            End Sub
        End Class

Public Class SyntaxAnalyzer
            Public Property Exception As Exception
            Public Property Tokens As List(Of Token)

Public Function ConvertToRPN() As List(Of Token)
                Dim conversionList As List(Of Token) = New List(Of Token)
                Dim conversionStack As Stack(Of Token) = New Stack(Of Token)

For i As Integer = Me.Tokens.Count - 1 To 1 Step -1
                    Dim currentItem As Token = Me.Tokens(i)
                    Dim priorItem As Token = Me.Tokens(i - 1)

If currentItem.Name = "operators" AndAlso priorItem.Name = "operators" Then
                        Me.Exception = New Exception(String.Format("Syntax Error:{0}There is a double operator at: {1}{2}.", _
                                                     Environment.NewLine, currentItem.Value, priorItem.Value))
                        Return Nothing
                    End If
                Next

For i As Integer = 0 To Me.Tokens.Count - 1
                    Dim item As Token = Me.Tokens.Item(i)

If item.Name = "digit" Then
                        'If the token is an operand, append it to the postfix output
                        conversionList.Add(item)
                    ElseIf item.Name = "operators" Then
                        'If the token(a) is an operator then...
                        'While there is an operator(b) of higher or equal precident than (a) at the top of the stack,
                        'pop (b) off the stack and append it to the output
                        While conversionStack.Count > 0 AndAlso conversionStack.Peek.Precedence >= item.Precedence
                            conversionList.Add(conversionStack.Pop)
                        End While

'Push (a) onto the stack
                        conversionStack.Push(item)

ElseIf item.Name = "lParen" Then
                        'If the token is an opening bracket, then push it onto the stack
                        conversionStack.Push(item)
                    Else 'If item.Name ="rParen" Then

Dim found As Boolean = False
                        While conversionStack.Count > 0 AndAlso found = False
                            If conversionStack.Peek.Name <> "lParen" Then
                                'Pop operators off the stack and append them to the output
                            ElseIf conversionStack.Peek.Name = "lParen" Then
                                'Pop the left parentheses without adding it to the output
                                conversionStack.Pop()
                                found = True
                            End If
                        End While

'If the left parenthesis was never found then return an error
                        If Not found Then
                            Me.Exception = New Exception(String.Format("Syntax Error:{0}There are too many closed parentheses.", _
                                                      Environment.NewLine))
                            Return Nothing
                        End If
                    End If
                Next

'When all the tokens have been read, if there are still objects in the stack:
                If conversionStack.Count > 0 Then
                    Do
                        If conversionStack.Peek.Name <> "lParen" AndAlso conversionStack.Peek.Name <> "rParen" Then
                            'Pop the operator on the top of the stack and append it to the output
                        Else
                            'There was a parentheses left, which means there were to many left parenthesis
                            Me.Exception = New Exception(String.Format("Syntax Error:{0}There are too many open parentheses.", _
                                                      Environment.NewLine))
                            Return Nothing
                        End If
                    Loop Until conversionStack.Count = 0
                End If

Return conversionList
            End Function
        End Class

Public Class Evaluator
            Public Property Tokens As List(Of Token)

Public Function EvaluateExpression() As Double
                Dim valueStack As Stack(Of Token) = New Stack(Of Token)

For Each t As Token In Me.Tokens

If t.Name <> "operators" Then
                        valueStack.Push(t)
                    Else
                        Dim part1 As Double = Double.Parse(valueStack.Pop.Value)
                        Dim part2 As Double = Double.Parse(valueStack.Pop.Value)

If t.Value = "+" Then
                            valueStack.Push(New Token() With {.Name = "digit", .Value = (part1 + part2).ToString})
                        ElseIf t.Value = "-" Then
                            valueStack.Push(New Token() With {.Name = "digit", .Value = (part1 - part2).ToString})
                        ElseIf t.Value = "*" Then
                            valueStack.Push(New Token() With {.Name = "digit", .Value = (part1 * part2).ToString})
                        ElseIf t.Value = "/" Then
                            valueStack.Push(New Token() With {.Name = "digit", .Value = (part1 / part2).ToString})
                        Else 'If t.Value = "^" Then
                            valueStack.Push(New Token() With {.Name = "digit", .Value = (part1 ^ part2).ToString})
                        End If
                    End If

Next

Return Double.Parse(valueStack.Pop.Value)
            End Function

End Class

End Namespace
    And this is it being implemented:
    Code:
    Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On

Imports ConsoleApplication1.ExpressionEvaluator
    Module Module1

Sub Main()
            Dim lexer As LexicalAnalyzer = New LexicalAnalyzer
            lexer.Definitions = New List(Of Token) From {
                                                        {New Token() With {.Name = "lParen", .Pattern = "^(\()$", .Value = String.Empty}},
                                                        {New Token() With {.Name = "rParen", .Pattern = "^(\))$", .Value = String.Empty}},
                                                        {New Token() With {.Name = "digit", .Pattern = "^([-+]?(\d*[.])?\d+)$", .Value = String.Empty}},
                                                        {New Token() With {.Name = "operators", .Pattern = "^(\+|-)$", .Precedence = 1, .Value = String.Empty}},
                                                        {New Token() With {.Name = "operators", .Pattern = "^(\*|/)$", .Precedence = 2, .Value = String.Empty}},
                                                        {New Token() With {.Name = "operators", .Pattern = "^(\^)$", .Precedence = 3, .Value = String.Empty}}}
            lexer.Source = Console.ReadLine

Dim tokens As List(Of Token) = lexer.Scan
            If tokens IsNot Nothing Then
                Dim parser As SyntaxAnalyzer = New SyntaxAnalyzer With {.Tokens = tokens}
                Dim rpn As List(Of Token) = parser.ConvertToRPN

If rpn IsNot Nothing Then
                    Dim solver As Evaluator = New Evaluator With {.Tokens = rpn}
                    Console.WriteLine(solver.EvaluateExpression.ToString)
                Else
                    Console.WriteLine()
                    Console.WriteLine(parser.Exception.Message)
                End If
            Else
                Console.WriteLine()
                Console.WriteLine(lexer.Exception.Message)
            End If

Console.ReadLine()
        End Sub

End Module
    The only thing I'm unhappy with is that it requires a space between everything. So this:
    Code:
    (1 + 2) - 3
    Would have to be written as:
    Code:
    ( 1 + 2 ) - 3

So now go nuts with operators.

Then start doing functions like Left("xyz",1)

and a really cool one: If(cond, val1, val2)

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    So now go nuts with operators.

Then start doing functions like Left("xyz",1)

and a really cool one: If(cond, val1, val2)
    That's the plan, but man this is much harder than I thought.

One of the files in that link I gave back in post #12 shows all the operators we allowed in our old VAX database system. I can remember when we came up with the SIGMA() function...

Scroll this list down till you get past PRECEDENCE ZERO...

Code:
    				EQU operations

Operator	Precedence		Function
    --------------  ----------      ----------------------------------------------
    CNV_NAM(P$,N$)	     0		Converts the data base field name N$ in the file
    				whose prefix is P$ into a field number
    CHK_FIL(P$)	     0		Checks the data base prefix P$ to see if it 
    				is valid. If it is not it returns -1%.
    CHK_FLD(P$,N%)	     0		Checks the data base field number N% in the file
    				whose prefix is P$ to see if it is valid. If
    				it is not it returns an error number.
    CHK_NAM(P$,N$)	     0		Checks the data base field name N$ in the file
    				whose prefix is P$ to see if it is valid. If
    				it is not it returns an error number.
    EDIT$(A$,B%)	     0		Converts A$ according to B%
    ERT(A)		     0		Returns error text for BASIC/DBD error number A
    FORMAT$(A,B$)	     0		Format the numeric A using B$.
    GETFLD(P$,F%,F$)     0		Returns the contents of the database field
    				given by the prefix P$ and the field number
    				F% and in the format F$. F$ may be either 
    				"DSP", "STO" or "INP".
    IF(A,B,C)	     0		Return B if A is true else return C.
    LEFT(A$,A)	     0		Extract the leftmost A characters of A$.
    MID(A$,A,B)	     0		Extract Characters A through A+B-1 from
    				the string A$.
    PLACE$(A,B)	     0		Round A to B decimal places.
    POS(A$,B$,C)	     0		Search for B$ within A$ starting at C. Return
    				the position of B$ within A$ or zero if not 
    				found.
    RIGHT(A$,A)	     0		Extract the rightmost A characters of A$.
    SEG$(A$,B,C)	     0		Return characters B though C of A$.
    SIGMA(C,I,T,S,E)     0		Return the summation of the expression E
    				for C = I to T step S
    UIC()		     0		Returns the current process UIC in the form
    				[GGG,PPP].
    USERNAME()	     0		Returns the current process user name.
    VAL_ERR(A$)          0		Returns true if A$ not a number
    TRANS_DATE(I$,O$,D$) 0		Converts D$ from date format I$ into date 
    				format O$.
    TABLE(P$,I$,C$,E%)   0          Returns the table element found in the .TBS
    				whose prefix is given by P$, and whose table
    				identifier is given by I$ and whose key is
    				given by C$ and whse element number is E%.

A ^ B%		     1		Exponentiation

- A		     2		Unary Minus
    + A		     2		Unary Plus

A * B		     3          Multiplication
    A / B		     3          Division

A + B		     4          Addition
    A - B		     4          Subtraction

A$ | B$		     5		Concatenation

EQU operations

Operator	Precedence		Function
    --------------  ----------      ----------------------------------------------

A < B		     6		A less than B (numeric).
    A = B		     6		A equal to B (numeric).
    A > B		     6		A greater than  B (numeric).
    A <= B		     6		A Less than or equal to B (numeric).
    A >= B		     6		A greater than or equal to B (numeric).
    A <> B		     6		A not equal to B (numeric).
    A$ << B$	     6		A$ less than B$ (string).
    A$ == B$	     6		A$ equal to B$ (string).
    A$ >> B$	     6		A$ greater than B$ (string).
    A$ <<== B$	     6		A$ less than or equal to B$ (string).
    A$ >>== B$	     6		A$ greater than or eqal to B$ (string).
    A$ <<>> B$	     6		A$ not equal to B$ (string).

NOT A%		     7		Ones complement of A% .

A% AND B%	     8		The logical product of A% and B%.

A% OR B%	     9		The logical addition of A% and B%.
    A% XOR B%	     9		The logical exclusive OR of A% and B%.

A% IMP B%	     10		The logical implication of A% and B%.

A% EQV B%	     11		The logical equivalence of A% and B%.
    Last edited by szlamany; Nov 17th, 2014 at 06:27 PM.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I had a more iterative approach in mind for the lexer. That is, you run through the code character by character adding tokens to a queue as you go. It's fundamentally similar to what you're doing, but it'd be more flexible than splitting at spaces and using regex's to try and figure out what happened. For instance, for "1 + -1", I'd read "1" and enter "number lexing mode". I'd probably just strip whitespace beforehand, so I wouldn't even read " ". I'd then read "+" and end "number lexing mode", so I'd add "1" to the queue. I'd also enter "operator lexing mode", then read "-" and, since I'm in operator lexing mode, I'd know this must mean unary negation rather than binary subtraction. Hence I'd add "+" to the queue and enter "number lexing mode". I'd read 1, stay in number lexing mode, hit EOF, and add "-1" to the queue.

Anywho, this whole thing illustrates the wonders of a modular approach here. You can completely redo the lexer without affecting the parser.
    Bertrand Russell

Just an update as well. I had noticed that for whatever reason I was getting wrong answers with the following equations:
    Code:
    1 - 15
    'Returned 14
    Code:
    15 - 1
    'Returned -14
    The issue was I had the part1 and part2 backwards in the EvaluateExpression function. So I just swapped it.