Thread: New Machine .dll problems I think...

New Machine .dll problems I think...

I am getting the notorious error "Object library not registered" when I open a .vbp project on a new machine. So, I go ahead and keep loading the project. It starts running, and fails on the following line: Set clsObjDb = New clsADODB_Oracle -- with the following error: Runtime '429' ActiveX component can't create object

I have reinstalled Oracle. I can connect. I have also reviewed the Project References and I had one that was not registered. I fixed that. I am stumped on how to find this problem. Suggestions??

The new machine is 64 bit Windows 7 but I have installed 32 bit Oracle because of all the problems. I have had this working, but for the life of me, I cannot remember how I did it!!

Re: New Machine .dll problems I think...

I have not been able to use Oracle in a a 64 bit Windows, there were too many unsolvable problems.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    I have not been able to use Oracle in a a 64 bit Windows, there were too many unsolvable problems.
    I have had pretty good luck. We just install 32 bit Oracle as I mentioned. I had it working. Just can't figure out what is not registered.

I'm typing this on a 64 bit Win7 machine, but I don't have Oracle.

When you get it loaded (even with errors), does it say that anything is missing under either Project/Components or Project/References? Also, be careful to NOT save the project when you get back out of it.

You might also examine any .LOG files it puts out for you to figure out what it's missing. Also, are you familiar with how to use the Regsvr32.exe program to potentially fix the registrations of OCX and DLL stuff?

On many Win7 (and Win8) machines, it does take loading a project a couple of times to get a new installation of the VB6 IDE to settle down. You still get the error after exiting the IDE and then trying to load the project again?

Just trying to help with brainstorming.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by cboshdave View Post
    I have had pretty good luck. We just install 32 bit Oracle as I mentioned. I had it working. Just can't figure out what is not registered.
    Why exactly is it difficult to figure out, what COMponent is missing.

I mean, you already wrote that it chokes on this line here:
    "... fails on the following line: Set clsObjDb = New clsADODB_Oracle"

The usual proceedings in that case would be, to determine which library contains the Class-Type:
    clsADODB_Oracle

Once you have that FileName, you should be able to find potential multiple occurences of
    that File - the ideal case would be when you'd find only one Dll-File on your given System
    (since the problem is then perhaps only a missing or incorrect registry-entry) - when you
    find multiple occurences of that file, then the problem could be caused by a "messed up"
    registry which contains multiple registrations of that Dll, some of them possibly with
    differing Versions of the Dll-contained TypeLib.

Another reason could be, that you don't run your VB6-IDE elevated.

Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    The usual proceedings in that case would be, to determine which library contains the Class-Type:
    clsADODB_Oracle

Once you have that FileName, ...

Olaf
    Yeah... I get that there is probably a process. Problem is that I am not a VB6 developer. I am trying to fake my way through this. Somehow, I must have stumbled onto the right sequence with my last machine! I don't know how to find the FileName that contains that Class (clsADODB_Oracle). Suggestions? Also, I have seen in the past that it generates a LOG file. It does not seem to be doing that in this instance. I have also tried to go through the references and objects at the top of the .vbp file and reregister them. Nothing seems to help.

Reference=*\G{00020430-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}#2.0#0#C:\WINDOWS\system32\stdole2.tlb#OLE Automation
    Reference=*\G{0117799C-594A-4552-AC38-D7CAC7AD5EEC}#2.0#0#\\smshscfs2.ad.utah.edu\u0237336\VBasic Program Source Code\Database Connection DLL\Binary DLL\DBConLib.dll#CJD Database Connection Library
    Reference=*\G{2A75196C-D9EB-4129-B803-931327F72D5C}#2.8#0#C:\Program Files\Common Files\system\ado\msado15.dll#Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library
    Reference=*\G{420B2830-E718-11CF-893D-00A0C9054228}#1.0#0#C:\WINDOWS\system32\scrrun.dll#Microsoft Scripting Runtime
    Object={F9043C88-F6F2-101A-A3C9-08002B2F49FB}#1.2#0; ComDlg32.OCX
    Object={831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}#2.1#0; MSCOMCTL.OCX

Any additional suggestions or website references for processes would be appreciated. :-)
    Last edited by cboshdave; Nov 17th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.

I don't know how, but I copied all the files to my local hd and double checked the entries in notepad in my .vbp file and adjusted them. It still said there were problems, but the program ran. So, I saved and it seems to be fine!! Whew... Dodged that bullet again! I guess I better get going on the rewrite!

Thanks all for your suggestions!