Thread: Windows XP doesn't remember desktop theme

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Windows XP doesn't remember desktop theme

I have a theme that I created a long time ago that I like to use for my desktop. When I go to the control panel and select it, it works fine but ever time I need to reboot, the setting is lost and the "Windows Classic" is used, so I have two questions:

1) If you've experienced this problem and resolved it, can you tell me what I should do, and

2) From some reading I get a feeling that my theme is not stored in the right folder, so do you know the file type of the themes so I can locate them and/or can you tell me where they should be for Windows XP?

Re: Windows XP doesn't remember desktop theme

I am sure this question was asked not too long ago! I will see if I can find the thread.

Edit:

All I can find is your other thread here although, I recall another forum member having the same problem but I am unable to locate the thread.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Nov 9th, 2014 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Thanks for reminding me of my previous duplicate question. I forgot all about it. In any case I tried one of the suggestions which was to rename the "Luna" theme but it didn't help. All it did was to create a new one.

i dont suppose you are using xp embedded?
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

After you set the theme and it's working you need to close the VM and "save the state" versus just shutting it down.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

I use Parallels Desktop and when rebooting everything is supposed to be saved and it is with the exception of the theme. It used to be saved but no longer is. The problem has persisted through upgrades of the Parallels software and that says to me that it's not a Parallels problem. I think I'll reinstall Windows and see if that fixes it.

So if you open an application and reboot - when it boots back up that app will be there just like you left it?

I assume that you are asking about a Windows reboot rather than a MAC reboot. If so then, as I'm sure you know, Windows standard operating procedure is to ask me to close (or it will close) all running applications. In either case that's the scenario where it loses my theme. I could take a snapshot before I reboot and I assume that after rebooting if I were to restore from the snapshot that that would restore my theme, but that doesn't fix the problem.