Thread: What is Search Engine Optimization?

What is Search Engine Optimization?

What is Search Engine Optimization? And how it works to make business more successful?

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: What is Search Engine Optimization?

It's a set of techniques designed to push a web site to the top of a search engine's search results. The benefit to the company is that the get more exposure.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

And to the detriment of of other sites.

I consider it more than just a little bit immoral. Mostly because in most real world usage the term really means applying strategies to mislead search engines by inflating "relelvance" to a given search.

As such it is a predatory practice.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

I consider it more than just a little bit immoral. Mostly because in most real world usage the term really means applying strategies to mislead search engines by inflating "relelvance" to a given search.

And quite lucrative these days from what I know about it.
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

But if all smart site owners are doing it, is it still immoral

And then there's the common sense part that many people don't have...Don't call your website-> "My Dog Ate My Homework" if the site is about anything besides dogs and homework.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

That seems like a site that wouldn't be about either dogs OR homework. It seems like it should be about either excuses or cliches.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

From what i understand the latest tweak of the Google search algorithm has made at least some of these techniques used no longer work.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I consider it more than just a little bit immoral
    I'm trying to decide if I agree with you and I think I do.

It's definitely predatory but does that make it any more imoral than any other form of marketting. Predatory practices are an inevitable (and generally accepted) part of capitalism.

The fact that it's attempting to "fool" the engine is a bit more uncomfortable but is that any worse than the psycological techniques that underpin most modern advertising which is designed to "fool" us directly.

And of course, there's a whole argument to be had about whether capitalism itself is "moral".

I actually do think I agree with you... but it's a bit grey.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

The method is using in Marketing online popurlarly. With the website, we can need SEO to increasing business, so we can Google to business.

The process of maximizing the number of visitors to a particular website by ensuring that the site appears high on the list of results returned by the a search engine.

Now why on earth would a new member of VBForums resurrect a 4 year old thread

Do you get AI robots on this forum?

I am just visiting and noticed this thread but we were having that discussion on another forum (as to whether some posts were attempts to fool us into thinking s web robots were "real" posters)

btw I gave up on seo optimization years ago although I was fairly successful with it for a while.It is all about ads now ,isn't it?

Do you get AI robots on this forum?
    Yes! Lots! Mostly they're pretty easy to spot and we just delete the spam and ban the user but some are a bit more sophisticated and can look quite real. Hopefully most users won't notice them too often because of the measures we have in place but they do create quite a bit of work for us mods. A few inevitably leak through, though.

I'm inclined to say that Sashi01 probably isn't a bot. He/she did post a comment that was relevant to the thread, after all. More likely to be an inexperienced user who found the thread through a google search and didn't notice the dates of the existing posts before adding their own.

Do you ever engage in double bluff games with them? Do they ever have "handlers" working in the background pulling the strings and negotiating tricky encounters?

I have read that some might be more sophisticated iterations that developers might want to test in different arenas.(It must be incredibly easy to escape notice at first but exponentially harder as more interactions build up)

I wonder (ironically) if there might be algorithms to spot the ones that "get through" (would they be harmful or just distracting/annoying?)

I hope you'll forgive me if I don't tell you all the measures we have in place but I think you're probably expecting them to be a bit more sophisticated than they are. 99% of what we get is some blanket spam consisting of an irrelevant message (often in Korean) and containing a bunch of links. It's pretty easy, if tedious, to spot and deal with.

A few are a little more sophisticated in that they'll post something technical but not particularly relevant. Usually a question scraped from this or another technical site. Again, these aren't too hard to spot.

Anything more sophisticated than that would really require some human intervention on the part of the spammer and they're generally not interested in putting in the effort. "Intelligent" bots that could genuinely appear human don't seem to be an issue at present.

I should also mention that an awful lot of our policing is done by the members using the "report" function. We're quite a close community and our members want to protect it so if they see someone breaking the rules they'll let us know and we act.

I guess if someone wrote a bot that was so good as to be indiscernible from a real human being we wouldn't spot it but we wouldn't really care either. As long as it was obeying the rules it could contribute as much as it liked. Our goal isn't to stop bots, it's to have a healthy forum. We're not botist.

Technically, if a spam-bot were so sophisticated that they provided a post that was sufficiently relevant and useful that we didn't notice it....is it still a spam bot?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

That is down to definitions ,but if it was dishonest/misleading in any way then that would make it less valuable to its interlocuters (the other members posting in the thread) in the same way as our own replies are only really worthwhile if we are being truthful.

If they were clearly indicated as simply being an algorithm then maybe they could be taken at face value and serve a purpose....

In fact if they were/could be programmed to be completely honest they might serve an important purpose (not that I am suggesting that nearly all posters are not completely honest in their postings but we all have our psychological foibles that come to the fore when we are not sure of our ground but feel we are right anyway)