Thread: VbAccelerator SGrid2 Runtime error '440' and Run-time error '0'

VbAccelerator SGrid2 Runtime error '440' and Run-time error '0'

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help...

I have an VB6 application with multiple forms (MDI and modal) most of which use the fantastic SGrid2 from VBAccelerator

Some of my users have reported a Run-time error '440' or Run-time error '0' when starting my application. A reboot of the 'box has always solved it.

Having a bit of time I decided to see if I could get to the bottom so I created a single form with only the vbalgrid component on it. No references to it just a default form with that control dropped on it.

If it load/unload it more than 625 times I get this error

Anyone got any ideas

Thanks

Re: VbAccelerator SGrid2 Runtime error '440' and Run-time error '0'

If I recall correctly Ssubtmr6.dll has a memory leak that will eventually crash Vb after multiple reloads.
    You could use another subclasser such a this:
    http://www.classicvb.net/samples/hookxp/

Even if not related to that ssubtmr6.dll, owner-drawn controls may have a memory leak within the drawing/cleanup routines. Not uncommon for larger projects. Even Microsoft makes that mistake from time to time & ends up having to provide some warning that the 'function may exhaust system resources'.

So, being that you have the code for that control, you can test for memory leaks yourself. I've written a fairly easy to follow tutorial on that procedure in the FAQ section of the forum. If leaks found, fixing them may require mid-level skill.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Even if not related to that ssubtmr6.dll, owner-drawn controls may have a memory leak within the drawing/cleanup routines. Not uncommon for larger projects. Even Microsoft makes that mistake from time to time & ends up having to provide some warning that the 'function may exhaust system resources'.

So, being that you have the code for that control, you can test for memory leaks yourself. I've written a fairly easy to follow tutorial on that procedure in the FAQ section of the forum. If leaks found, fixing them may require mid-level skill.
    Something I don't think I made clear. Once I get the error, I can close down the application but it will not restart (same errors)

only a reboot or reinstall of the application and it's controls seem to fix it

Oh... This link is not going to help much, but it does describe error 440

You may want to google for that control & error code & see if you find any other hits
    Could be a dependency issue. May need to describe to us how you are installing the software on other pcs (components that are being installed & to what folders (if being done manually). Also the O/S could be useful info
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Frenzied Member

Don't waste your time. Obsolete sGrid2 can't be used in your commercial project because of lots of bugs without support.

Frenzied Member

I too use the SGrid2, and for the price, I love it.
    Rather than rebooting the PC, you could remote in to one of those PCs where they cannot restart.
    Bring up Task Manager and see if you can locate a related process, that did not close. And end the process.
    If that works, the user may prefer doing that, rather than rebooting the box.

There is a commercial version of the SGrid, sold by 10Tec.
    They have spent man years, debugging it, and enhancing it
    I explored it a bit. You can run a fully functional (but nagged) version to try it out.
    I was checking it out for a friend, but he decided not to purchase it, as it lacks inbuilt reporting.
    I would love it, if many of our members would nag them into building in reporting.

Regards,
    Rob
    PS They have a VB.NET version which they built reporting in to. I reckon they would be making most of their money from the VB.NET version.
    Perhaps we could sweet talk them into giving the VB6 version away free (or free to our members), and we will promise to sing the praises of the VB6 version. Apart from the lack of reporting the VB6 version is very good. And has tons of example projects.

PPS Perhaps the OP could send a link to this thread, to 10Tec
    No need to raise my suggestion (free version for us), as he will presumably read all the posts.
    He might be a Good Samaritan, and share how they debugged the OP's problem.
    They built their version from the SGrid1, which may not have had that exact problem.
    If that is the case, then at the very least, there is the chance that 10Tec will read my post.
    Last edited by Bobbles; Oct 25th, 2014 at 11:19 PM.

I am pretty sure it is some kind of memory leak going on.

I have a stripped down project to demonstrate

Where can I up-load it

Frenzied Member

I found before some years that the hdc, the handler for dc must be used for a short time..Controls change hdc internally. In windows 98 that not happen. You can see old programms with not drawing controls for that reason, they holding hdc. Also the use of faulty hdc leave leaks..So is a matter of time for such a programm to hit the leak. Handlers for screen as hdc must not passed to other threads.At the passing stage maybe a refresh or screen happen....and maybe the hdc is invalid.

Thank you everyone who gave advice on this

Further research indicates that this is a bug (probable leak) in SGRID2 and with no support, it's a dead end I am sorry to say

I have today,evaluated and have decided on 10Tec's iGrid, seems to be virtual drop in replacement although some of the property and method names have changed

Once again, thank you for your input

No support is a harsh statement, all components on vbAccelerator are free and come with the source code.
    So nothing stops you from finding and squashing the bug yourself.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enveetee View Post
    Thank you everyone who gave advice on this

I have today,evaluated and have decided on 10Tec's iGrid, seems to be virtual drop in replacement although some of the property and method names have changed

Once again, thank you for your input
    If our two posts encourage others to use/try 10Tec's grid, perhaps some of us could work on creating a sample that would allow printing ?
    10Tec already have a sample of exporting/automating into Excel
    We could use that as a starting point, and enhance it to accurately/fully automate all the formatting (etc), across into Excel

Update really...

I moved over to 10Tec's iGrid and it has taken almost a month to convert my project. All is working well and my users do not really see any change (a good thing I suppose)

Am I allowed to say, it's a great product with great support?

Thanks to everyone for their input

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enveetee View Post
    Update really...

I moved over to 10Tec's iGrid and it has taken almost a month to convert my project. All is working well and my users do not really see any change (a good thing I suppose)

Am I allowed to say, it's a great product with great support?

Thanks to everyone for their input
    Are you perchance printing your grids or exporting to Excel ?

Sorry, Bobbles, no I dont print

Sorry, Bobbles, no I dont print