Thread: [RESOLVED] Clicking Element

Resolved [RESOLVED] Clicking Element

I am trying to click on a button on a webpage that matches what I have selected in my ListView. I am grabbing a list of items from a webpage, and organizing them into a ListView. Here is my code for that:
    Code:
    Dim HTML As String = New WebClient().DownloadString("MY URL IS HERE")
                            HTML = Regex.Match(HTML, "<ul class=""songullist-orange"">(.+?)</ul>", RegexOptions.Singleline).Groups(1).ToString
                            Dim Musics_Regex As MatchCollection = Regex.Matches(HTML, "<li.+?>(.+?)</li>")
                            Dim Musics_List(Musics_Regex.Count - 1) As String
                            Dim Index As Integer
                            ListView1.Items.Clear()
                            For Each Match As Match In Musics_Regex
                                Musics_List(Index) = RemoveTags(Match.Groups(1).ToString)
                                Dim tagsRemoved As String = Musics_List(Index)
                                Dim songName As String = tagsRemoved.Substring(0, tagsRemoved.IndexOf(" -"))
                                Dim artist As String = tagsRemoved.Substring(tagsRemoved.IndexOf("- ") + 2)
                                st(0) = songName
                                st(1) = artist
                                item = New ListViewItem(st)
                                ListView1.Items.Add(item)
                                Index += 1
                            Next
    All of the above code works perfectly. Now my question: Let's say I clicked on one of the rows in my ListView to select it. Next, I want to click a button and by clicking that button, it is finding that corresponding text on the webpage and clicking on that one. I hope I made myself somewhat clear. I am a little bit of a rookie at this kind of stuff so here is what I tried but failed. I'm pretty sure I am waaaaaay off.
    Code:
    For Each Element As HtmlElement In Musics_Regex
                If ListView1.SelectedItems.Item(0).SubItems(0).Text = Musics_List(Index) Then
                    Element.InvokeMember("click")
                End If
            Next

Re: Clicking Element

When you say it failed, what exactly is occurring? Is an exception being thrown or is it just not doing anything - or does it do something other than what you want?
    I always add to the reputation of those whose posts are helpful, and even occasionally to those whose posts aren't helpful but who obviously put forth a valiant effort. That is, when the system will allow it.
    My war with a browser-redirect trojan

Quote Originally Posted by dolot View Post
    When you say it failed, what exactly is occurring? Is an exception being thrown or is it just not doing anything - or does it do something other than what you want?
    In the line "For Each Element As HtmlElement In Musics_Regex" there is an error. The error states "Unable to cast object of type 'System.Text.RegularExpressions.Match' to type 'System.Windows.Forms.HtmlElement'" pointing to "Musics_Regex."

Addicted Member omundodogabriel's Avatar

Musics_Regex is an array of regex matches, and not of HtmlElements, this is why your code isn't working. I belive this code was meant to be used with the webbrowser control.

So, you said you want to simulate a "click" on the link. This would load a new page. What exactly you want to do? Grab more data from the page that will open, or just display the page to the user?

The following code will show the URL address of the details page when user click on the listview item (replace with the actual URLs on needed places):
    Code:
        Private Structure Search_Result
            Dim Music_Name As String
            Dim Page_URL As String
        End Structure
        Dim Musics_List() As Search_Result
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim st() As String
            Dim HTML As String = New WebClient().DownloadString("PUT YOUR URL HERE")
            HTML = Regex.Match(HTML, "<ul class=""songullist-orange"">(.+?)</ul>", RegexOptions.Singleline).Groups(1).ToString
            Dim Musics_Regex As MatchCollection = Regex.Matches(HTML, "<li.+?><a href=""(.+?)"" target=""_self"">(.+?)</li>")
            ReDim Musics_List(Musics_Regex.Count - 1)
            Dim Index As Integer
            ListView1.Items.Clear()
                Musics_List(Index).Page_URL = "http://PUT THE ROOT ADDRESS YOUR URL HERE" & Match.Groups(1).ToString
                Musics_List(Index).Music_Name = RemoveTags(Match.Groups(2).ToString)
                st = Musics_List(Index).Music_Name.Split("-")
                ListView1.Items.Add(New ListViewItem("Artist: " & st(0).Trim & " / Music: " & st(1).Trim))
                Index += 1
            Next
        End Sub
        Private Function RemoveTags(ByVal Str As String) As String
            Dim New_Str As String = Regex.Replace(Str, "<[/]?(.+?)>", "").Trim
            New_Str = Replace(New_Str, "&nbsp;", " ")
            New_Str = Replace(New_Str, "&amp;", "&")
            Return New_Str
        End Function
        Private Sub ListView1_SelectedIndexChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ListView1.SelectedIndexChanged
            If ListView1.SelectedItems.Count > 0 Then
                Dim First_Selected_Item As Integer = ListView1.SelectedItems(0).Index
                MsgBox(Musics_List(First_Selected_Item).Page_URL)
            End If
        End Sub

I figured this would be difficult to explain. Lol. The items that are displayed on the webpage (the WebBrowser is hidden) are in list form and can be clicked on. As you know from helping me out on my other thread, the list is taken from the webpage and displayed in a ListView. Now, because this WebBrowser is hidden, i want to highlight one of the items in the ListView and then click on a button on my form to visit that song's respective webpage. I hope I somewhat cleared things up.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeesfan28 View Post
    I figured this would be difficult to explain. Lol. The items that are displayed on the webpage (the WebBrowser is hidden) are in list form and can be clicked on. As you know from helping me out on my other thread, the list is taken from the webpage and displayed in a ListView. Now, because this WebBrowser is hidden, i want to highlight one of the items in the ListView and then click on a button on my form to visit that song's respective webpage. I hope I somewhat cleared things up.
    Understood. Add the button and use:
    Code:
                WebBrowser1.Visible = True
                WebBrowser1.Navigate(Musics_List(First_Selected_Item).Page_URL)
            End If
    This will open the music page on the webbrowser control.
    (also, say if you don't understand something on the code and I will explain, because I think you will not learn stuff if I keep posting just the code XD)
    Last edited by omundodogabriel; Oct 22nd, 2014 at 05:03 PM.

I must not be understanding something. How would I find my root address? Sorry for all this frustration I must be causing you. KryptonButton3 is clicked first to show the list of songs in my ListView and then KryptonButton2 is clicked to visit the webpage of the song. And once we figure out the correct code, can you please explain it? As you said, I am not learning anything. Couldn't thank you more! Here is my code:

Code:
            Dim Music_Name As String
            Dim Page_URL As String
        End Structure

Private Sub KryptonButton2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles KryptonButton2.Click
            Dim st() As String
            Dim Musics_Regex As MatchCollection = Regex.Matches(HTML, "<li.+?><a href=""(.+?)"" target=""_self"">(.+?)</li>")
            Dim Index As Integer
            ListView1.Items.Clear()
                Musics_List(Index).Page_URL = "http://PUT THE ROOT ADDRESS YOUR URL HERE" & Match.Groups(1).ToString
            Next

MainForm.WebBrowser1.Visible = True
                MainForm.WebBrowser1.Navigate(Musics_List(First_Selected_Item).Page_URL)
            End If

id3.Read(Me.AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.URL)
            id3.Title = ListView1.SelectedItems.Item(0).SubItems(0).Text
            id3.Artist = ListView1.SelectedItems.Item(0).SubItems(1).Text
            'id3.Album=
            If FileInUse(Me.AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.URL) = True Then
                MsgBox("The file you opened is currently in use! Please close any programs that are using the file", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation, "File In Use!")
            Else
                id3.Write()
            End If
        End Sub

Private Sub KryptonButton3_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles KryptonButton3.Click
            If KryptonTextBox1.Text = "" Or KryptonTextBox1.Text = "Please enter the name of the song here" Then
                MsgBox("Please enter the name of the song in the field provided.", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation, "Song Name")
                namenotempty = False
            Else
                MainForm.WebBrowser1.Navigate("MY URL")
                namenotempty = True
                WaitUntilPageLoads()
                Try
                    Dim PageElement As HtmlElementCollection = MainForm.WebBrowser1.Document.GetElementsByTagName("h2")
                    For Each CurElement As HtmlElement In PageElement
                        If CurElement.OuterText.Contains("Sorry, we don't have any results for the Song name") Then
                            MsgBox("We couldn't find any songs named '" + KryptonTextBox1.Text + ".' Please try again.", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation, "No Songs Found!")
                            HideButtons()
                        ElseIf CurElement.OuterText.Contains("Search results for") Then
                            Dim HTML As String = New WebClient().DownloadString("MY URL")
                            Dim Musics_List(Musics_Regex.Count - 1) As String
                            Dim Index As Integer
                            ListView1.Items.Clear()
                                Musics_List(Index) = RemoveTags(Match.Groups(1).ToString)
                                Dim tagsRemoved As String = Musics_List(Index)
                                Dim songName As String = tagsRemoved.Substring(0, tagsRemoved.IndexOf(" -"))
                                Dim artist As String = tagsRemoved.Substring(tagsRemoved.IndexOf("- ") + 2)
                                st(0) = songName
                                st(1) = artist
                                item = New ListViewItem(st)
                                ListView1.Items.Add(item)
                                Index += 1
                            Next
                            ShowButtons()
                        End If
                    Next
                Catch ex As Exception
                End Try
            End If

What I called root page is the address of the page before the "/"
    Example, on the page "https://www.google.com.br/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hanasaku+iroha" the root page is "https://www.google.com.br"

Edit:
    Looks like you messed the code a bit. The code I provided don't need the webbrowser to download the page.
    To make things easier, this code goes on KryptonButton3:
    Code:
            Dim st() As String
            Dim Index As Integer
            ListView1.Items.Clear()
                ListView1.Items.Add(New ListViewItem("Artist: " & st(0).Trim & " / Music: " & st(1).Trim))
                Index += 1
            Next
    And this one on KryptonButton2:
    Code:
            End If
    And this on top of the form:
    Code:
            Dim Music_Name As String
            Dim Page_URL As String
        End Structure
    Once you get this basic part working, then you start adding the other part you want, and I will explain parts you don't uderstand.
    Last edited by omundodogabriel; Oct 22nd, 2014 at 05:22 PM.

Well it didn't work. Just to make sure you understand what I want, I want the WebBrowser to navigate to the song's specific webpage.

Edit:
    Hold on. Let me try what you said in your edit.

Something still isn't working...

Something still isn't working...
    Weird, it should work... Can you post the entire code?

Quote Originally Posted by omundodogabriel View Post
    Weird, it should work... Can you post the entire code?
    Code:
            Dim Music_Name As String
            Dim Page_URL As String
        End Structure

Private Sub KryptonButton2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles KryptonButton2.Click
                MainForm.WebBrowser1.Navigate(Musics_List(First_Selected_Item).Page_URL)
            End If
        End Sub

New_Str = Replace(New_Str, "</a>", "")
            New_Str = Replace(New_Str, "'", "'")
            Return New_Str
        End Function

Private Sub KryptonButton3_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles KryptonButton3.Click
            If KryptonTextBox1.Text = "" Or KryptonTextBox1.Text = "Please enter the name of the song here" Then
                MsgBox("Please enter the name of the song in the field provided.", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation, "Song Name")
                namenotempty = False
            Else
                namenotempty = True
                WaitUntilPageLoads()
                Try
                    Dim PageElement As HtmlElementCollection = MainForm.WebBrowser1.Document.GetElementsByTagName("h2")
                        If CurElement.OuterText.Contains("Sorry, we don't have any results for the Song name") Then
                            MsgBox("We couldn't find any songs named '" + KryptonTextBox1.Text + ".' Please try again.", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation, "No Songs Found!")
                            HideButtons()
                        ElseIf CurElement.OuterText.Contains("Search results for") Then
                            Dim st() As String
                            Dim Index As Integer
                            ListView1.Items.Clear()
                                Index += 1
                            Next
                    ShowButtons()
                        End If
                    Next
                Catch ex As Exception
                End Try
            End If
        End Sub
    Obviously I replaced the URL's with the real ones. I'm not even getting the items to show up in my ListView anymore with this new code. Is it worth mentioning that I have my ListView broken into 2 columns?

Edit:
    And there is more code involved in this form, but none of which is relevant to this problem. I figured I would let you know that. Lol

try commenting this part:
    Code:
            Else
                namenotempty = True
                WaitUntilPageLoads()
                Try
                            HideButtons()
    Also, using a empty try/catch is not a good idea, since it will not show error that may be happening to you. I tested this code (the part I provided) on the HTML you provided in the other thread and it worked fine.

Nope. I don't get what I am doing wrong...

try this:
    Code:
            Dim Index As Integer
            ListView1.Items.Clear()
                Dim Data As String = Match.Groups(1).ToString
                Musics_List(Index).Page_URL = "http://PUT THE ROOT ADDRESS YOUR URL HERE" & Regex.Match(Data, "href=""(.+?)""").Groups(1).ToString
                Musics_List(Index).Music_Name = RemoveTags(Data)
                Index += 1
            Next
    I will sleep now, if this doesn't work either, you can post the page url or the html source here if you want and I will take a look tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help!! I will give that a try tomorrow as well as I need some sleep too. Sorry for the frustration..

Well I tried it. I created a new application just for testing the code to make sure that some part of the other code in my real application was screwing up and throwing something off and something is just a little bit off. I am getting correct results in the ListView, so I click on one of the songs, and click the button to visit that song's webpage and it is bringing me to some random song's webpage. Here is the ENTIRE code:

Code:
    Imports System.Net
    Imports System.Text.RegularExpressions

Public Class Form1
            Dim Music_Name As String
            Dim Page_URL As String
        End Structure

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim st() As String
            Dim HTML As String = New WebClient().DownloadString("MY URL")
            Dim Index As Integer
            ListView1.Items.Clear()
                Dim Data As String = Match.Groups(1).ToString
                Musics_List(Index).Page_URL = ("MY URL") & Regex.Match(Data, "href=""(.+?)""").Groups(1).ToString
                Musics_List(Index).Music_Name = RemoveTags(Data)
                ListView1.Items.Add(New ListViewItem("Song: " & st(0).Trim & " / Artist: " & st(1).Trim))
                Index += 1
            Next
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            End If
        End Sub

New_Str = Replace(New_Str, "</a>", "")
            New_Str = Replace(New_Str, "'", "'")
            Return New_Str
        End Function
    End Class

Well, this is a weird behaviour, but to find out the problem, show the browsed URL.
    Below the "WebBrowser1.Visible = True", add the line "MsgBox(Musics_List(First_Selected_Item).Page_URL)". Then run, click on a item on the listview. Try opening the correct music page in your browser, and compare with the one showed in your app.

It is only showing my root URL..

Edit:
    Just realized that when I click on the button, that is the page it is navigating to. It is actually navigating to the root URL and not another song's webpage (what I originally thought). Sorry for the confusion.

It is only showing my root URL..

Edit:
    Just realized that when I click on the button, that is the page it is navigating to. It is actually navigating to the root URL and not another song's webpage (what I originally thought). Sorry for the confusion.
    Can you provide HTML code of the page, so I can test here?

Of which page? The search results page??

Of which page? The search results page??
    Yes, the search results page.

Quote Originally Posted by omundodogabriel View Post
    Yes, the search results page.
    I will PM it.