Thread: [RESOLVED] Just thinking about the VBForums Rep

Resolved [RESOLVED] Just thinking about the VBForums Rep

Soo....since i AM new to the forums, i was thinking about why the hell do i have a green thing under my name. Soo...with some research, i foud out that tis be my rep..... i did some digging, and found out that my "Rep" increases over time, and when people "Like" my posts? is this true????
    P.S.
    just to say hi to all ya programmers out there, i wanna say "Hello, World!" pleased to meet ya
    ~Mister_Meh

Re: Just thinking about the VBForums Rep

Yes, that is true. If someone feels strongly enough about your post - usually if you provide some meaningful help on their problem but not limited to that - they can click the "rate this post" icon at the bottom of it (not shown for Chit Chat posts). Your reputation will then be increased if they approve or decreased if they disapprove by an amount that is based on their own rep.

Okie Dokes, thanks for that
    ~Mister_Meh

PowerPoster

Note that it can be an iffy thing though. There are people I'd add reputation for but until enough others come along who are "deserving" I can't add any more.

No idea how much must be "spread around" before I can +1 the first guy some more though.

Because of this a lot of people have far less than they probably otherwise would have.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Note that it can be an iffy thing though. There are people I'd add reputation for but until enough others come along who are "deserving" I can't add any more.

No idea how much must be "spread around" before I can +1 the first guy some more though.

Because of this a lot of people have far less than they probably otherwise would have.
    I think it was 10 other members rep!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

That's true. In broad terms it works out but certainly, if the same person helps the same other person regularly, that first person may not get the reputation points that they might have if they'd spent that time helping others. It's obviously a way to stop people boosting their friends rep artificially but does have its downside. Once you've repped someone, I believe that you have to rep another nine different people before being able to rep the first again. What that can also do is cause someone to go looking for other posts to rep so that they can rep someone again sooner, if they feel strongly enough. If you feel that strongly about repping someone though, you're probably not going to make it totally meaningless by repping other posts that don;t actually deserve it.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I'm moving your thread to the feedback section because you're likely to get better responses here than in CC.

There is a sticky thread around somewhere that describes exactly how rep works but I'm damned if I can find it now.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

You'll also find that different people give different amounts of reputation when they rate your posts. New members give zero points, but they can still do a rep and leave a 'thank you' type message. People get additional rep power based on their number of posts, time on forums, etc.

If someone does a negative rep to a post, points are taken away. The number lost is equal to half that person's rep power. So two negative reps offset one positive rep of the same power.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

It's also worth noting that only power posters (I think) or above can give a negative rep.

Okay, that clears things up, thanks guys
    ~Mister_Meh

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Meh View Post
    Okay, that clears things up, thanks guys
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I believe that you have to rep another nine different people before being able to rep the first again.
    Not nine, six. You have to rep six different people before being able to rep someone again.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber