Thread: Question regarding attachment policy

PowerPoster

Question regarding attachment policy

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question; I didn't see a more appropriate venue.

I'm getting ready to publish a code example using a custom type library, and wanted to ask if the compiled .tlb is considered disallowed compiled code. Since it's for VB6, asking people to compile a typelib is a little much. I'm publishing the TLB source too but wanted to include the finished TLB for people who don't want to take the time in learning to compile it.

Re: Question regarding attachment policy

Considering that there are some users here that already include compiled dlls and ocx along with the project source code I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to upload it to the forum.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Considering that there are some users here that already include compiled dlls and ocx along with the project source code I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to upload it to the forum.
    The fact that people do that doesn't mean that it's OK. Basically, you can't upload binary files because they might contain malware that anyone downloading can't see the way they can in source code. I'm not sure whether a TLB can be infected or not but it is a compiled binary file so I'd say that the answer would be "no".

At the "Manage Attachment" button you see:

Valid file extensions: asa asmx asp aspx bas bmp bz2 c cls cpp cs ctl doc docx frm frx gif gz h hpp jpe jpeg jpg pdf php png psd rar res txt vb xlt xml zip
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    At the "Manage Attachment" button you see:

Valid file extensions: asa asmx asp aspx bas bmp bz2 c cls cpp cs ctl doc docx frm frx gif gz h hpp jpe jpeg jpg pdf php png psd rar res txt vb xlt xml zip
    I guess one question that raises though is what is acceptable to include in a ZIP or other compressed file. I suppose the logical conclusion is only files of those types mentioned. Also, I'm not sure whether there's any actual scanning of the file, so a file might be an EXE with one of those valid extensions.

Anything in a ZIP file will make it past the filters. So it gets down to how lucky you feel or how well you think you know the poster.

File attachments here do get scanned for uglies, but not at the time they are attached.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

You could post it in the utility bank but read the specific rules there first.

In particular this rule:-
    Code:
    Please note - although Executable files are allowed, the source code for these files must be provided too.
    Although it refers specifically to executables I see no reason that couldn't be applied to any compiled binary. Perhaps Brad and Steve could correct me if I'm wrong on that.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I manage an open source project and feel authors benefit the most from an open source approach. On the other hand, I would hate to see authors that are willing to provide their work for free and support / enhance it without releasing source being ban from doing so. It should be a personal choice if you release source or not.

If someone posts nasty code here, they won't last long. I think the goal should be finding balance, harmony and promote having fun.

PowerPoster

Well I don't know much about what exactly 'compiling' a type library does. As far as I know, you can't put arbitrary code into type libraries (even if you did, through what mechanism could it be executed apart from some off the wall thing like BMP a while back). And PDF is allowed? Unless you actually can put arbitary code into a typelib there's simply no way a .tlb could be more 'dangerous' than a PDF. So I'm really hoping it isn't that big a deal. (and the full and complete source IS included, and any concerned party could examine it, compile it with VS 6.0's MKTYPLIB, and get an identical file, i just double checked the hashes--- so I'd hope that caveat for the utility bank would apply to the codebanks).
    Last edited by fafalone; Oct 28th, 2014 at 12:36 AM.

It should be a personal choice if you release source or not
    Yes and no. I'm all for people providing each other with useful tools for free. I think that's a pretty generous thing to do and I'm heartened (and a little amazed becasue I'm old and cynical) at how much of it goes on. And if people feel they want to black box their work, whatever their reasons are, I can understand and respect that, it doesn't diminish the generosity of the act.

However, sharing tools isn't the primary focus of this forum (including the Utility Bank). Sharing knowledge is our primary focus and that's what the policies are intended to promote. If folks want to share black box tools there are plenty of places for them to do so. Indeed I would actively encourage them to do so but it's not what VBF is for.

As for the risk of virii etc, you do have to bear in mind that this site has been used in the past by people trying to distribute malware and several users were hit by it before anyone spotted it and the mods cleaned it up. Needless to say the distributing user didn't last long but damage was done in the meantime. That's maybe left us a little risk averse in our policies but since it's in line with our primary purpose anyway I don't see that as a problem.

So I'm really hoping it isn't that big a deal.
    Well Steve and Brad haven't contradicted me yet so I'd say go ahead and post in the utility bank. We can always take it down later if it's a problem. And please accept a warm and hearty "Thanks" for sharing.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Oct 28th, 2014 at 05:01 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Posts/attachments in UB are moderated. Its during this time that a Mod can do the sanity checking for any malware before it goes public. Once something goes public, and if its harmful, the damage can be major to members. Its so much easier and safer to validate each and every new thread and attachments. Its part of providing a safe environment for our members. I surely wouldnt want to be the first one to download something that wasnt validated and be the guinea pig
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I didn't know that. Very sensible. Two Funky thumbs up for that approach.