Thread: Is possible to make this codec run fullspeed?

Addicted Member omundodogabriel's Avatar

Unhappy Is possible to make this codec run fullspeed?

I started to write my own video format/codec in vb.net, I read some docs about video compression, direct cossine/fast fourrier transformation, chroma subsampling, motion compensation, and stuff like that related to video compression. But now, I'm facing a major problem - speed. The current version run a video at 240p resolution at just average 10 (of 24) fps here, this is less than half the target speed. So, I made a version using Windows Forms, optimized the hell out of the code, unrolled loops, inlined functions, used simple arrays intead of 2d matrices and so on, but the max I could get was +5~7 fps.

Source:
    https://github.com/gdkchan/GVideo
    Test video
    https://mega.co.nz/#!tYUWHC4K!H4-hM6...-mZlBW7FViQPu4

To test, open the app, click in "play" and open the "fracture_test_video.vid" I included. If you want to create your own video file, just modify "GVideoCodec.Encode" with a folder containing all video frames as images. I use VirtualDub to extract frames from videos and save on a folder. Also, audio format must be MP3.

I'm using NAudio and MP3(inside video file) for now, because my main aim is just video encoding.

Note: You need to download NAudio lib, create a folder where the .vbproj file is located called "NAudio" and paste NAudio files inside this folder. Or you can just comment those lines in GVideoCodec.vb:

Code:
    Imports NAudio
    Imports NAudio.Wave

Dim WaveOut As New WaveOut()
    Dim WaveStream As New Mp3FileReader(New MemoryStream(Audio_Data))
    WaveOut.Init(WaveStream)
    WaveOut.Play()

WaveStream.Position = (Frame / Frame_Rate) * WaveStream.WaveFormat.AverageBytesPerSecond
    Before I added the Direct Cossine Transform, the player was working pretty fast.

Thanks.
    Last edited by omundodogabriel; Oct 18th, 2014 at 04:22 PM.

Re: Is possible to make this codec run fullspeed?

Please don't provide links for this forum to download. It's viewed as rude

The link contains exe files which is NOT allowed. Please remove this now.

WARNING!!!! The files are contained with malware. Do not download!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Links are removed. I have exe's and virus total links if admin ask me.

What? The file I linked don't have any malware. I don't know what you used to scan this, but is a false positive for sure. And the entire source is included. Anyway, I removed the attachment as you requested. Also, I posted a link because the video is too big to attach here.

Quote Originally Posted by omundodogabriel View Post
    What? The file I linked don't have any malware. I don't know what you used to scan this, but is a false positive for sure. And the entire source is included. Anyway, I removed the attachment as you requested. Also, I posted a link because the video is too big to attach here.
    I'm a Malware member of One of the largest internet schools on the internet. GeeksToGo. I know how to scan files. The code you post means nothing to an exe you posted which is NOT ALLOWED. How is this connected to any source code you provide? I could post a Hello World vb project that contains a exe that is worse then CryptoLocker. THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED.

The scan is recoded and all files retained if admin ask me.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

It may or may not have been a false positive result on the virus scan. However for future references you can upload your project directly to this forum. Just make sure it only contains source code files and no binary files such as EXE files.

Well, I decided to scan the compiled app myself after what ident said. Here's the virustotal link:
    https://www.virustotal.com/file/a0f3...is/1413658302/
    1 out of 54 av's detect it as "BehavesLike.Win32.Backdoor.pm" - McAfee-GW-Edition. I started to scan others apps I made, some showed 100% ok, others the same thing, other different stuff. This show that this is just a false positive.

Also yea, the exe and the source can be not connected. But if you decompile the exe with .NET decompiling tools like Reflector, you will see the exe have the code of solution I attached. Please stop treating me as a malware spreader. From work I already posted here, you should have knew that I'm not this kind of people. I also asked to one of my friends compile the app, and submited to virustotal, result was "AhnLab-V3 Trojan/Win32.Foreign", so yea, You can't trust in just 1/2 antivirus. If you compile the source yourself and submit it to virusltotal you will probably get it too.

Well, I came here just to ask for help about how to optimize my codec, but after what ident did, is very unlikely i will get any. Sorry if I broke forum rules, I will not post exe/dll/com/bat and whatever files again, I zipped the project folder in hurry and forgot to delete compiled files.
    Last edited by omundodogabriel; Oct 18th, 2014 at 02:26 PM.

Lively Member

I believe ident if he is saying it is malicious, as well as him mentioning he is a member at GeeksToGo, etc.

While it is possible the Behavioural Analysis/Heuristics has made a false positive, is it not pretty hard to detect a backdoor false positive? Either there is something really sensitive in the source which is alarming the backdoor detection, or the file is malicious. It's also possible that @omundodogabriel is actually infected by malware, and the malware is infecting files as they are moved and so on, so when the file was extracted it was already too late. It's always possible.

If the forum rules allow it, if the OP really wants he can send me it (in a PM of course) and when I get time I will run it in a virtual environment/sandbox and analyse it's behaviour, or even get a malware hunter to check.

However, I am going to trust ident and VT and say this thread should just be closed. OP, you can make another thread but just remember not to include EXE's/built project and just the source code for your question. Whether you have posted on here before or not, no one here really knows you (as far as im aware) and anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by visualBEER310 View Post
    While it is possible the Behavioural Analysis/Heuristics has made a false positive, is it not pretty hard to detect a backdoor false positive? Either there is something really sensitive in the source which is alarming the backdoor detection, or the file is malicious. It's also possible that @omundodogabriel is actually infected by malware, and the malware is infecting files as they are moved and so on, so when the file was extracted it was already too late. It's always possible.
    Well, I think it actually depends on the antivirus. Some av's are realy sensitible and detect perfectly clean files as containing somethings. I also through in the possibility of my own pc being the infection vector (The idea of spending my entire day formating and installing everything again really made me upset, also I'm take care with this stuff), this is why I asked to my friend to compile, and also got 1/54 on VT. This is why I said it's probably just a false positive. Also, I'm going to send to you the exact same link I attached here yesterday to you say 100% sure if it is clean or not. Thank you.

Feel free to continue the thread, and upload the code files here (without executables of any kind).

In terms of virus scanners etc, they aren't perfect - but getting a positive result you didn't expect doesn't mean that it is a false positive, it is entirely possible that your computer already has a virus, and that virus infected the executable as soon as it was created.

For everyone... whenever anything is uploaded (whether it is an executable, or code, etc), you should treat it as potentially malicious until you have fully proven otherwise. Even somebody trustworthy can post bad things at times for a variety of non-malicious reasons (such as having a virus on their computer, code that they copy+pasted without checking well enough, etc).

I uploaded code on github. If you guys could compile the code yourselves and test on VirusTotal that would be great, and I would know for sure if it is a false positive or not.

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    In terms of virus scanners etc, they aren't perfect - but getting a positive result you didn't expect doesn't mean that it is a false positive, it is entirely possible that your computer already has a virus, and that virus infected the executable as soon as it was created.
    I don't think so because I created an empty project (just with a msgbox), compiled, scanned 4 times on VT and all showed totally clean (0 / 54), also, recompiled an old project I made and it showed totally clean too (0 / 54)
    Last edited by omundodogabriel; Oct 18th, 2014 at 04:35 PM.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by omundodogabriel View Post
    I uploaded code on github. If you guys could compile the code yourselves and test on VirusTotal that would be great, and I would know for sure if it is a false positive or not.

I don't think so because I created an empty project (just with a msgbox), compiled, scanned 4 times on VT and all showed totally clean (0 / 54), also, recompiled an old project I made and it showed totally clean too (0 / 54)
    No, I mean it's possible your PC could be infected altogether. As in, malware is monitoring when new files are created and infecting them. But I doubt it.

Links mean nothing. You can easily provide a link to a different exe you post. How ever if you wish for me to examine a FRST log id be more then happy to do so if you want piece of mind you are not infected.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...ery-scan-tool/

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ident View Post
    Links mean nothing. You can easily provide a link to a different exe you post. How ever if you wish for me to examine a FRST log id be more then happy to do so if you want piece of mind you are not infected.
    Can we please drop this. If the OPs computer is infected then he has a problem, however this forum isn't for that kind of discussion. The question at hand is about the OPs codec and the current github link does not include any binary files.

Quote Originally Posted by ident View Post

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...ery-scan-tool/
    I have been looking your threads, and looks like to me your job here is just piss people off. Two friends compiled the sources for me and scanned on VirusTotal, and got the same "Backdoor" on MCAfee av, so my PC is not infected, and it is a false positive. Don't believe in me? Compile the source yourself and scan it on VirusTotal. Or decompile the exe you downloaded a few days ago. I have nothing against you and like to be friend of everyone, and as a friend advice, please stop acting like this. I perfectly understand you being worried with other users here, and checking if files have malware or not. But even after I uploded the project on github, you keep attacking me saying I'm a lier and was trying to post malware here.