Thread: Data doesn't retrieve!!!

Question Data doesn't retrieve!!!

I'm trying to connect my backend (Ms Access) to the front end (VB.NET 2010). I'm trying to retrieve data and I get these errors.
    I have two problems:
    1. For i = 0 To dt.Rows.Count - 1

when typed the above code in the load form I get the letter i underlined.
    this is the error - Warning 1 The type for variable 'i' will not be inferred because it is bound to a field in an enclosing scope. Either change the name of 'i', or use the fully qualified name (for example, 'Me.i' or 'MyBase.i').

2. When I debugged/run the code, the code doesn't work and I get this error
    This code is higlighted --------
    Private Sub btnNext_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnNext.Click

TextBox1.Text = dt.Rows(i)(0)
    End Sub

Error name - IndexOutOfRangeException was unhandled
    There is no row at position 0.

Can someone please help me!
    Thank You!

<CODE>
    Imports System.Data
    Imports System.Data.OleDb
    Imports System.IO
    Imports System.Byte
    Imports System.String

Public Class frmBirthdayCake

Private sql = "SELECT CakeID,Cake_Name,Cake_Description,Weight,Price,Image,ShelfLife,Size,NoOfServings FROM Birthday_Cake"
    Private dt As New DataTable
    Dim i As Integer
    Private adapter As New OleDbDataAdapter(sql, con)
    Dim ms As New IO.MemoryStream
    Dim con As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\CakeAlbum.accdb")

Private Sub frmBirthdayCake_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    adapter.Fill(dt)
    DataGridView1.DataSource = dt
    DirectCast(DataGridView1.Columns("Image"), DataGridViewImageColumn).ImageLayout = DataGridViewImageCellLayout.Stretch
    For i = 0 To dt.Rows.Count - 1
    Dim row As DataGridViewRow = DataGridView1.Rows(i)
    row.Height = 60

Next
    DataGridView1.Columns("Image").Width = 150
    End Sub

Private Sub btnNext_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnNext.Click
    'If i < dt.Rows.Count - 1 Then
    If TextBox1.Text = "" Then
    i = 0
    TextBox2.Text = dt.Rows(i)(1)

Dim imagebytes As Byte() = CType(dt.Rows(i)(2), Byte())
    Using ms As New IO.MemoryStream(imagebytes)
    PictureBox1.Image = Image.FromStream(ms)
    PictureBox1.SizeMode = PictureBoxSizeMode.StretchImage
    End Using
    Else
    Try
    i += 1

End Using
    Catch
    i -= 1
    MsgBox("End Of Records")
    End Try
    End If
    End Sub

Private Sub btnPrevious_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPrevious.Click
    Else

If i = dt.Rows.Count - 1 OrElse i <> 0 Then
    i -= 1

End Using
    Else
    MsgBox("This is the first record")
    End If
    End If
    End Sub
    Private Sub DataGridView1_CellMouseClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.CellMouseClick
    con.Open()
    Dim sql = "SELECT Image FROM Birthday_Cake where CakeID='" & DataGridView1.CurrentRow.Cells(0).Value & "'"
    adapter = New OleDbDataAdapter(sql, con)
    Dim d As New DataTable
    adapter.Fill(d)
    TextBox1.Text = d.Rows(i)(0)
    con.Close()
    End Sub
    End Class
    </CODE>

Re: Data doesn't retrieve!!!

Why did you declare a variable i at form scope? People often use a variable like that for iterating in a loop, as you do in the For loop in the Load event, but in such a loop, using a good name isn't all that important. When you add a variable at form scope, you really should give it a name that gives some hint as to what it does. Using a name like i tells nothing about what it is for. Worse yet, you appear to be in the habit of using i as an iterator variable. That's quite common, as most people either use i or x for iterators in for loops. However, if you are in the habit of using i as your iterator, then you really shouldn't use it for anything else, especially not for a form level variable, because the variable will conflict with your habits, as they have in the For loop.

Changing the variable i to something with a better name will get rid of the first problem....and I'm pretty sure it will get rid of the second problem, too. What I believe was happening there was that the For loop in the Load event ran as it was supposed to. At the end of that loop, though, i would be incremented one last time, so i would then be one higher than the number of rows in the datatable. You don't check for this in Next (though it looks like you did at one time), so dt.Rows(i) will be out of range, because i is too high to start with.

If you use a variable called i as a loop iterator, then never use that name for any other variable.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Hello,

The following MSDN article with a demonstration (done in a class and forms project) show how to read images from MS-Access to a DataGridView along with adding new images. What is not shown is databinding to controls but that can easily be done too. I will warn you that the code takes a different path than your current methods and the backend database is MS-Access 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Why did you declare a variable i at form scope? People often use a variable like that for iterating in a loop, as you do in the For loop in the Load event, but in such a loop, using a good name isn't all that important. When you add a variable at form scope, you really should give it a name that gives some hint as to what it does. Using a name like i tells nothing about what it is for. Worse yet, you appear to be in the habit of using i as an iterator variable. That's quite common, as most people either use i or x for iterators in for loops. However, if you are in the habit of using i as your iterator, then you really shouldn't use it for anything else, especially not for a form level variable, because the variable will conflict with your habits, as they have in the For loop.

Changing the variable i to something with a better name will get rid of the first problem....and I'm pretty sure it will get rid of the second problem, too. What I believe was happening there was that the For loop in the Load event ran as it was supposed to. At the end of that loop, though, i would be incremented one last time, so i would then be one higher than the number of rows in the datatable. You don't check for this in Next (though it looks like you did at one time), so dt.Rows(i) will be out of range, because i is too high to start with.

If you use a variable called i as a loop iterator, then never use that name for any other variable.
    I tried changing the variable name to "int" but still its the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kevininstructor View Post
    Hello,

The following MSDN article with a demonstration (done in a class and forms project) show how to read images from MS-Access to a DataGridView along with adding new images. What is not shown is databinding to controls but that can easily be done too. I will warn you that the code takes a different path than your current methods and the backend database is MS-Access 2007.
    I checked that site and tried it but it didn't work too. I just want to retrieve data from my database. I don't want that datagridview, just want a connection made between the database and vb.net 2010.
    Thank You!

Show the code after you made the change to the variable name.

The problem is clear, as it states that the index is out of range. That means that either your indexing variable is set wrong, or there are no rows in the datatable. You can check that by taking a look at the datatable when the exception happens.

I edited my code but i still get the same error. Can someone please help me!

This is the a snapshot of my database (table).

Name:  table.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  12.4 KB

here is the edited code -
    Code:
    Imports System.Data
        Imports System.IO
        Imports System.Byte
        Imports System.String
            Private sql = "SELECT CakeID,Cake_Name,Cake_Description,Weight,Price,Image,ShelfLife,Size,NoOfServings FROM Birthday_Cake"
            Dim i As Integer
            Dim ms As New IO.MemoryStream
            Dim con As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\CakeAlbum.accdb")
        	 Private Sub frmBirthdayCake_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
                con.Open()
                adapter.Fill(dt)
                DirectCast(DataGridView1.Columns("Image"), DataGridViewImageColumn).ImageLayout = DataGridViewImageCellLayout.Stretch
                For i = 0 To dt.Rows.Count - 1
                    row.Height = 60
                Next
                i = 0
            End Sub

i = 0

End Using
                Else
                    Try

End Using
                    Catch
                        i -= 1
                        MsgBox("End Of Records")
                    End Try
                End If
            End Sub

Private Sub btnPrevious_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPrevious.Click
                Else

If i = dt.Rows.Count - 1 OrElse i <> 0 Then
                        i -= 1

End Using
                    Else
                        MsgBox("This is the first record")
                    End If
                End If
            End Sub
            Private Sub DataGridView1_CellMouseClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.CellMouseClick
                con.Open()
                Dim sql = "SELECT Image FROM Birthday_Cake where CakeID='" & DataGridView1.CurrentRow.Cells(0).Value & "'"
                adapter = New OleDbDataAdapter(sql, con)
                Dim d As New DataTable
                adapter.Fill(d)
                i = e.RowIndex
                con.Close()
            End Sub

Quote Originally Posted by ashveen View Post
    I checked that site and tried it but it didn't work too. I just want to retrieve data from my database. I don't want that datagridview, just want a connection made between the database and vb.net 2010.
    Thank You!
    Hello,

The DataGridView is purely for verification that the code works, it is not needed. You can data binding i.e. SomeTextBox.DataBinding.Add(...

Quote Originally Posted by kevininstructor View Post
    Hello,

The DataGridView is purely for verification that the code works, it is not needed. You can data binding i.e. SomeTextBox.DataBinding.Add(...
    do you have any sample code for that?
    thank you very much!

1) Wrap the code in the Load event in an exception handler. It doesn't have to do much, but it would be good to have a messagebox in there to show any exceptions that are raised. The reason for doing this is that, if you are using a 64-bit Windows, then any exceptions thrown in the Load event will behave differently from exceptions thrown anywhere else. Normally, you'd see an error if an exception is thrown and not handled. In the case of an exception thrown in the load event, you won't see anything, but the code in the load event will exit at that point.

This may have nothing to do with the problem, or it may have a lot to do with the problem. If you were throwing an exception in either the datatable.fill, or even the .Open call on the connection, then you'd have no data in the datatable at any time, and you'd never see a message about there being a problem.

2) In what way did you edit your code? You are still misusing the i variable just as you were in the original code. You said that you renamed the variable, and that was what I wanted to see, yet you now post code that is only slightly better than what you originally had. I see that you are setting i back to 0, which would solve part of the problem, but the fundamental mistake is the same: You use i as an iterator variable and you use i in a totally different role as a current row index. That's going to cause you trouble all over the place, so stop doing that. Use i ONLY as a local iterator variable, and use a different name for variables at form scope. You are just asking for trouble by declaring your iterator variable at form scope.

1) Wrap the code in the Load event in an exception handler. It doesn't have to do much, but it would be good to have a messagebox in there to show any exceptions that are raised. The reason for doing this is that, if you are using a 64-bit Windows, then any exceptions thrown in the Load event will behave differently from exceptions thrown anywhere else. Normally, you'd see an error if an exception is thrown and not handled. In the case of an exception thrown in the load event, you won't see anything, but the code in the load event will exit at that point.

This may have nothing to do with the problem, or it may have a lot to do with the problem. If you were throwing an exception in either the datatable.fill, or even the .Open call on the connection, then you'd have no data in the datatable at any time, and you'd never see a message about there being a problem.

2) In what way did you edit your code? You are still misusing the i variable just as you were in the original code. You said that you renamed the variable, and that was what I wanted to see, yet you now post code that is only slightly better than what you originally had. I see that you are setting i back to 0, which would solve part of the problem, but the fundamental mistake is the same: You use i as an iterator variable and you use i in a totally different role as a current row index. That's going to cause you trouble all over the place, so stop doing that. Use i ONLY as a local iterator variable, and use a different name for variables at form scope. You are just asking for trouble by declaring your iterator variable at form scope.
    the code I have written works for my earlier project with the variable "i". I just copied the same code from my earlier project but it won't work, I have no idea of what is happening. You told me to change the variable "i", I did change it to "int" but still the variable is underlined.
    Thank You!

Where did you change it to int? What is the message that the underline is giving you.

By the way, you shouldn't be guessing as to why it doesn't work. At the point you get the exception, assuming that it is the IndexOutOfRange exception that you mentioned the first time, you have all the information you need...at first. If the line that throws the exception is this one:

then just hover the mouse over the i...which should be changed to something else, so if you change it to int, then hover it over the int. What is the value of the variable? If it is reasonable, then select dt.Rows (but not the (i)(0)) and press Shift+F9. That will let you see the contents of dt.Rows. What is the row count?

If the exception is not taking you to that line because it is just being caught in the error trap that you have in the click event, then you go into the Debug menu, select Exceptions (or something like that), and check the checkbox for When Thrown for runtime exceptions (but don't bother for any of the others). Then the execution will stop when the exception is thrown rather than going to the exception handler right away. That way you will know right where the exception is happening.

By the way, that exception handler is almost certainly a bad idea. You seem to have it in there solely to catch an overrun. Exception handlers cost nothing if no exceptions are raised, but they are horribly slow if an exception is thrown, so you only want to use them for exceptional situations. You can always check for whether the index is out of range prior to accessing the datatable rather than letting the code throw an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by ashveen View Post
    do you have any sample code for that?
    thank you very much!
    Not in the same project. In another of my articles shows data binding found here.

Where did you change it to int? What is the message that the underline is giving you.
    I modified the code and now it works but the only problem is that the image doesn't show on the picturebox.
    Can you please help on that.
    Thank You!
    Code:
    Imports System
    Imports System.IO
    Imports System.Text
        Private sql As String = "SELECT CakeID,Cake_Name,Cake_Description,Weight,Price,Image,ShelfLife,[Size],NoOfServings FROM Birthday_Cake"
        Private con As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\CakeAlbum.accdb")
        Dim index As Integer
            con.Open()
            adapter.Fill(dt)
            For i As Integer = 0 To dt.Rows.Count - 1
                row.Height = 60
            Next
            con.Close()
        End Sub
                index = 0
            ElseIf index = dt.Rows.Count - 1 Then
                Exit Sub
            Else
                index += 1
            End If
            TextBox1.Text = dt.Rows(index)(0)
            TextBox2.Text = dt.Rows(index)(1)
            ReadImage()
        End Sub
            If TextBox1.Text = "" OrElse index = 0 Then
                index = 0
            ElseIf index = dt.Rows.Count - 1 OrElse index <> 0 Then
                index -= 1
            End If
            ReadImage()
        End Sub
        Private Sub ReadImage()
            Try
                Dim imageBytes() As Byte = CType(dt.Rows(index)(2), Byte())
                Using ms As New MemoryStream(imageBytes)
                End Using
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try
        End Sub
            TextBox1.Text = dt.Rows(e.RowIndex)(0)
            TextBox2.Text = dt.Rows(e.RowIndex)(1)
        End Sub
    End Class

I modified the code and now it works but the only problem is that the image doesn't show on the picturebox1.
    Can someone please help on that.
    Thank You!
    Code:
    Imports System
    Imports System.IO
    Imports System.Text
        Private sql As String = "SELECT CakeID,Cake_Name,Cake_Description,Weight,Price,Image,ShelfLife,[Size],NoOfServings FROM Birthday_Cake"
        Private con As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\CakeAlbum.accdb")
        Dim index As Integer
            con.Open()
            adapter.Fill(dt)
            For i As Integer = 0 To dt.Rows.Count - 1
                row.Height = 60
            Next
            con.Close()
        End Sub
                index = 0
            ElseIf index = dt.Rows.Count - 1 Then
                Exit Sub
            Else
                index += 1
            End If
            ReadImage()
        End Sub
            If TextBox1.Text = "" OrElse index = 0 Then
                index = 0
            ElseIf index = dt.Rows.Count - 1 OrElse index <> 0 Then
                index -= 1
            End If
            ReadImage()
        End Sub
        Private Sub ReadImage()
            Try
                Dim imageBytes() As Byte = CType(dt.Rows(index)(2), Byte())
                Using ms As New MemoryStream(imageBytes)
                End Using
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try
        End Sub
            TextBox1.Text = dt.Rows(e.RowIndex)(0)
            TextBox2.Text = dt.Rows(e.RowIndex)(1)
        End Sub
    End Class

Wrap the code in the Load event in an exception handler and see whether or not it is throwing any exceptions. After all, the easiest answer is that the conversion is failing, and since it is in the Load event, the only way you would know would be that there would be no picture in the picturebox. If there is an exception thrown in there it is likely that you'll never see it.

That doesn't have to be the answer, but it is the first alternative that you need to rule out. The Load event is risky to use for what you are using it for because it may swallow exceptions without you ever knowing about it. An exception handler will at least show you the exceptions.