Thread: C# have more "tools" available?

Frenzied Member

C# have more "tools" available?

I was talking with someone the other day about transitioning to C# from VB.NET. I was under the impression that C# essentially has the same framework and tools available that VB.NET does, yet the person I was having the conversation with insisted that there are more "Tools and Libraries" for C# (From a Microsoft .NET Framework and Visual Studio perspective, I am not talking 3rd party. Is this actually the case?

Re: C# have more "tools" available?

Not really. With regards to libraries, there is no such thing as a library for C# or a library for VB. A .NET library is a .NET library and usable by all .NET languages. The vast majority of the .NET Framework was written in C# and yet you use those libraries in your VB apps every day. There are some small parts that were written in VB for VB, e.g. PowerPacks and TextFieldParser, but those can be used in C# projects too.

In other areas, there are some things done for C# specifically. That includes various code samples, that will generally be done for C# first and maybe not for VB at all. There may also be some tools or technologies that are C#-specific. For instance, XNA supported only C# to begin with and I'm not sure that full VB support ever actually materialised. I've never used XNA myself though, so I'm not sure of that. Microsoft have some time back committed to parity between the two languages though, so they should move apace technology-wise.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I made a conscious effort to move across a few years back and I honestly can't think of a single thing that c# has and VB didn't. JM mentioned code samples which is probably true but converting them is trivial. You might find a few other areas where stuff appears in c# briefly before vb but they tend to be edge cases and vb always seems to follow within an iteration.

I think your colleague needs to give some concrete examples.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I think your colleague needs to give some concrete examples.
    I'd agree with that. I think they've just been sucked in and believed what someone else has said or implied. VB is still considered a second-class citizen by many but it's not really. Unless they can tell you what VB lacks, they're not really worth listening to.

PowerPoster

As far as I can recall the major differences had to do with how quickly new intrinsic language features were added. At one time C# tended to get some things before VB.Net, and to a lesser extent vice-versa.

But they've pretty much been at parity for a long time now.

PowerPoster

AFAIK C# still doesn't have XML literals and VB.NET doesn't have unsafe pointers. So what differences there are, are trivial.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I made a conscious effort to move across a few years back and I honestly can't think of a single thing that c# has and VB didn't.
    The only area i know of real difference is that VB.Net doesn't allow the use of 'unsafe' code where as C# does.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

AFAIK C# still doesn't have XML literals and VB.NET doesn't have unsafe pointers. So what differences there are, are trivial.
    What he said
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    For instance, XNA supported only C# to begin with and I'm not sure that full VB support ever actually materialised.
    XNA can be used with VB, it just doesn't have a template for VB projects, only C#. To use XNA in VB you have to manually add the assemblies.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

As mentioned already there are really not more tools for C# than VB.NET. There is only one thing that I used in C# over VB.NET which is an IDE extension Code Maid.