Thread: Adding 142nd test causes other tests to fail - Visual Studio Test Projects

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Adding 142nd test causes other tests to fail - Visual Studio Test Projects

I'm getting a really odd phenomenon and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar. I have a solution that contains 2 test projects. In total there are 141 tests currently running in it. Everything's fine.

I add one more test (and it doesn't matter which test project I add it to) and suddenly 8 other tests fail. The reasons for the failure are all because a file the test relied on failed to copy to the TestResults/../Out directory so wan't found by the test. I've checked the settings for these files and they should copy - in fact they did copy successfully before I added that 142nd test. I can rem the 142nd test back out again and all the oither tests will immediately pass.

What the...?

Has anyone come across this before? Google searches aren't finding me anything so far but I'm still trawling.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Re: Adding 142nd test causes other tests to fail - Visual Studio Test Projects

I can't even think of a project that would require that many tests?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Adding 142nd test causes other tests to fail - Visual Studio Test Projects

Surprisignly it's only for an API wrapper around an AI engine. The AI engine itself has LOTS more. Basically, it's got alot of different configurations it can run under so we need tests to exercise the whole lot. And even at 141 tests we're still not hitting 100% code coverage but the paths that don't get covered are known exceptions etc so we're pretty solid.

Anyway, I never managed to work out what the problem was but I have found a solution that seems to work. We were using deployment item attributes declared at the head of the test classes but I switched it to use a test settings file last thing yesterday and it's now working fine. I'm not sure why this fixed it but my hunch is that it was some sort of resource contention issue. Because the deployment item attributes exist at a class level, more than one would be trying to copy the same file and my guess is that that was causing the issue somehow. Because the test settings file exists at a solution level you've got no contention issues. That is just a guess though - in truth I have no idea what was causing it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd