Thread: Can you help me get my PC to boot?

Can you help me get my PC to boot?

The company where I used to work built and gave me a PC. I am trying to get it up and running for my daughter. Since I don't work there anymore, it would be awkward to ask the IT guy who built it what might be wrong, so I'm hoping this forum can help.

It's a desktop PC, I believe with Windows 8. When we turn it on, all that displays is a self-test feature check with stacked rectangles of colors. Is there something we need to do to get past this screen?

Thanks.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

PowerPoster

Re: Can you help me get my PC to boot?

Any beeps?

The problem could be anything, possibly as simple as RAM sticks not firmly seated in their sockets.

It actually might be that the box is ok but the monitor is junk. I remember now that I grabbed a spare monitor from work and someone said it might be broken. So maybe the os is booting fine, but I have no visibility into it. I will try to locate a spare monitor and post back what happens (may take several days). I don't think we heard any beeps, just whirring. Thanks.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MMock View Post
    It actually might be that the box is ok but the monitor is junk. I remember now that I grabbed a spare monitor from work and someone said it might be broken. So maybe the os is booting fine, but I have no visibility into it. I will try to locate a spare monitor and post back what happens (may take several days). I don't think we heard any beeps, just whirring. Thanks.
    If you have another monitor plug that in to the system to verify if the original monitor is broken. If the second monitor works, then its a monitor problem if not its something else that is causing the problem.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I brought the PC into work today and the consultant here said he'd look at it with me. So yes, we will try various monitors, etc., to narrow down the cause of the problem.

the stacked colors sounds like the self-test is in the monitor, not the pc. PC self-tests don't do that. That is a visual output check from the sound of it. It actually sounds like the display itself is working also but perhaps the cable is bad. Look at the connecting cable and see if there are any bent pins.
    This is very easy to cause.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell