dcsimg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vb6 and Windows 10

Lively Member

Re: vb6 and Windows 10

Have anyone successfully upgrade a Win7 system with a working VB6 IDE and can confirm it working after as well, incl. compiling etc.? I'm not ready to give up on my Win7 just yet and for now just running Win10 in a VM, also for code testing purposes. I haven't had time to really test it yet, just conformed that my program installed and run but I heard rumours that the "bringing back" of the Start button is a disappointment, again.
    M$ vs. VB6 = The biggest betrayal and strategic mistake of the century!?

Fanatic Member

'Previous' and 'latest' builds confuse the issue for me. I have the actual release (July 29). I'll wait until you have tested. I have vb6 enterprise. Re the start button, I have found that I can simply unpin those dreadful metro tiles one by one and then the result is nearer the W7 start button.

Addicted Member

Remember there isn't really an 'actual release' for Windows 10. There has already been a 'Cumulative Update' to Windows 10 a couple of days ago. (See Settings>Update and Security). This will continue for bug fixes and minor improvements.
    And in the future, rather than a Windows 11 or 12, the plan is to have major updates to Windows 10 (possibly not even named 10.1, 10.2, etc) to add new features.
    It is a bit of a moving target, but at least Microsoft say "everyone’s favorite VB6 Runtime will continue to work".

The Start menu is a big improvement on Windows 8.

Fanatic Member

Yes, my major program written in vb6 appears to work fine. Its the IDE which is flooring me right now, and therefore I can't continue to develop or modify.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by VB6 Programming View Post
    The Start menu is a big improvement on Windows 8.
    Maybe, still have to make up my mind about it but it feels a bit as if MS is throwing Metro after me. I have to fight with that every day on my Windows phone, doesn't really need it on my desk top. I still haven't turned blond... and I know I'm sounding 'old' saying it, but I like the Win7 start menu better. But, I'm not here to complain about Win10, you always have to deal with the future somehow, weather you like it or not, what really interests me is how a Win7 system with VB6 IDE behaves after an upgrade so any feedback with such experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by el84 View Post
    Yes, my major program written in vb6 appears to work fine. Its the IDE which is flooring me right now, and therefore I can't continue to develop or modify.
    Did you upgrade your Win7 system with VB6 IDE present? In such case, what glitches are you experience?

Hyperactive Member

I've just upgraded two Win 7 Home Premium systems both with VB6 SP6 Professional installed. One is 32bit and this is 64bit. They both now have the release Windows 10 Home with their respective bit sizes.

Absolutely no problems with VB6 working in both. I have however discovered that ShellExecute will not launch a URL. It works fine for other things like exe version etc. It reports an extension/association error.

Needless to say it was fine under Win 7. If I cannot find a cure I will raise a thread here.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by el84 View Post
    I would expect the IDE to install using either of the 2 links I gave, though you may have to try the different approaches with the Java file. Or you could wait until Gibra tests with the current release and updates his installer.

Addicted Member

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 with the VB6 IDE already installed and running. I haven't seen any issues yet.

HI do you get type mismatch errors as well ?

Lively Member

I haven't install vb6 IDE on windows 10, but some of my customers report that they ran my vb6 app and it work fine on windows 10. Hope everything ok!

Quote Originally Posted by VB6 Programming View Post
    I would expect the IDE to install using either of the 2 links I gave, though you may have to try the different approaches with the Java file. Or you could wait until Gibra tests with the current release and updates his installer.
    Done!

Visual Studio 6.0 Installer Wizard v4.1 2015 ha been released:

PowerPoster

Could someone with access to Windows 10 check if the undocumented API SHCreateFileDataObject is still there and exported as ordinal #740 in shell32.dll (it's always been ordinal only)? Can't find anything on Google. I've come to use this function quite a bit due to its superiority over SHCreateDataObject.
    To check run this code:

Code:
    Private Declare Function SHCreateFileDataObject Lib "shell32" Alias "#740" (ByVal pidlFolder As Long, ByVal cidl As Long, ByVal apidl As Long, pDataInner As Any, ppDataObj As IDataObject) As Long
    Private Declare Function ILCreateFromPathW Lib "shell32" (ByVal pwszPath As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Sub ILFree Lib "shell32" (ByVal pidl As Long)

Private Sub TestCDO()
    Dim pidl As Long
    Dim ido As IDataObject
    Dim sFile As String
    Dim hr As Long

sFile = "(any valid file)"
    pidl = ILCreateFromPathW(StrPtr(sFile))

hr = SHCreateFileDataObject(VarPtr(0&), 1, VarPtr(pidl), ByVal 0&, ido)

Debug.Print "hr=" & hr
    Set ido = Nothing
    Call ILFree(pidl)
    End Sub
    Any typelib with IDataObject is needed.. original olelib, oleexp, some versions of OLEGuids, etc.

If hr = 0 then all is good.

Works good fafalone. Tried on RTM Windows 10 64 bit. Used your oleexp 3.01 tlb.

Addicted Member

This app (The VB6 Installer) did not work for me today. I'm trying to install VB6 Studio Professional using CDs and MSDN with both CDs and SP3 from a folder.

While it made the root directory okay, and the VB6 directory and copied the Disk 1 CD, it died after apparently finishing Disk1 of MSDN and did not ask for Disk2.

File not found (53) in procedure cmdSetup of frmMain

Me thinks it still got some buggies.

Tried to setup the SP6 folder, but it failed with an error after copying.

So when I tried to Install, it didn't get too far and died.

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get VB6 installed on my new machine with Windows 10.

What a pain this OS is.

Fanatic Member

Maybe you can use Virtualbox and another OS...

Fanatic Member

Owing to various problems I quickly decided to ditch Windows 10 and revert to my trusted Windows 7.

Windows 10 is still too young, to use it in production.
    Better to wait a year.

I have an application written in VB6 that runs om Windows xp to Windows 8.1
    On windows 10 64 bit it runs also good, but on windows 10 32 bit it hangs.

Anyone an idea?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12