Thread: [RESOLVED] Onscreen Keyboard No Workie

Resolved [RESOLVED] Onscreen Keyboard No Workie

I have an application for a Windows 8 tablet that is a modified VB6.0 program and needs a keyboard input. I am trying to use Microsoft's onscreen keyboard, by accessing osk.exe. I have attempted different configurations all resulting in errors, but the one I have tested successfully in Windows XP, but won't work in newer versions of Windows, is this:

Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Shell "OSK.EXE", vbMaximizedFocus
    End Sub

Which results in:

"Invalid procedure call or argument."

Very simple. Should work. Doesn't. Hmm?

Re: Onscreen Keyboard No Workie

Initial guess: file doesn't exist, permissions preventing execution or executing from file's location. Just curious, is this a 64 bit system? Have you tried ShellExecute APis?
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

When I use ShellExecute, I get an error that seems closer to functional: "Could not start On-screen Keyboard."

ShellExecute Me.HWND, vbNullString, "C:\Windows\System32\osk.exe", vbNullString, "C:\", SW_SHOWNORMAL

But still not functional. The link is good. I would love for something like "Shell "OSK.EXE"" to work, because I don't want to have to count on the path being identical in a new computer.

And yes, this is a 64-bit system.

PowerPoster

You say the link is good so that means it is locating osk.exe but you then say it is not functional. By that I assume it is executed but just doesn't work. Is this correct

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Is the screen a touch screen? I'd wonder if the OSK doesn't work on non-touchscreen systems.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

This code works to open On Screen Keyboard

In a module
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" _
                       (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpszOp As String, _
                        ByVal lpszFile As String, ByVal lpszParams As String, _
                        ByVal LpszDir As String, ByVal FsShowCmd As Long) _
                        As Long
    In a form

Code:
    Option Explicit

Const SW_SHOWNORMAL = 1
     ShellExecute Me.hwnd, vbNullString, "C:\Windows\System32\osk.exe", vbNullString, "C:\", SW_SHOWNORMAL
    End Sub
    However, when osk loads you receive "Could not start On-Screen keyboard". That is despite the program being loaded in the background.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I can manually open osk.exe without any problem, but the ShellExecute command always gives the error "Could not start on-screen keyboard." I have it set up as in the example provided by Nightwalker 83.

PowerPoster

Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" _
    (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpszOp As String, _
    ByVal lpszFile As String, ByVal lpszParams As String, _
    ByVal LpszDir As String, ByVal FsShowCmd As Long) _
    As Long

Private Const SW_SHOWNORMAL = 1

ShellExecute Me.hwnd, vbNullString, "C:\Windows\System32\osk.exe", vbNullString, "C:\", SW_SHOWNORMAL
    End Sub

Works for me. I'm using XP/SP4 which you also say that XP is the only OS where you got it to work so it must not be compatible with other OS's; only thing I can think of. Is the osk.exe part of your OS's applications or did you copy it from somewhere else and place it in your OS

I notice if Shell cannot find the EXE it gives no messages at all

Doesn't sound right for ShellExecute to give error "Could not start on-screen keyboard." I would think it would say "Could not start osk.exe" since Shell would not know that osk means on-screen-keyboard and also it would give an error code if it gives any message at all
    Last edited by jmsrickland; Sep 24th, 2014 at 12:21 PM.

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

I don't think the error is coming from Shell... sounds like it's coming from OSK itself. It's looking for something in its initialization that it is not finding.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by jmsrickland View Post
    Works for me. I'm using XP/SP4 which you also say that XP is the only OS where you got it to work so it must not be compatible with other OS's; only thing I can think of. Is the osk.exe part of your OS's applications or did you copy it from somewhere else and place it in your OS
    It is part of Windows 7 or put in the above located by a system update. All I did was type "OSK" in to the computer search and it came up as a result.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

This appears to be an issue on x64 OS only.
    This works on Windows 7 Ultimate x64:

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpszOp As String, ByVal lpszFile As String, ByVal lpszParams As String, ByVal LpszDir As String, ByVal FsShowCmd As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function Wow64EnableWow64FsRedirection Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal Enable As Boolean) As Boolean

Const SW_SHOWNORMAL = 1
        On Error Resume Next
        Wow64EnableWow64FsRedirection False
        ShellExecute Me.hwnd, "open", "osk.exe", "", App.Path, SW_SHOWNORMAL
        Wow64EnableWow64FsRedirection True
    End Sub
    Last edited by DrUnicode; Sep 25th, 2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: 64bit OS Solution for OSK.exe

Addicted Member

I tried his code:

vb Code:
    1. Shell "osk.exe"

But it's not working we have the same error...

I tried using API call for the OSK.exe. it runs smoothly.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit.
    If I had helped you...

Don't forget to mark your Inquiry as RESOLVED...

I will be glad if you can also give me some Reputation points in helping you (by Clicking Rate This Post)...

Happy VB Coding Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnicode View Post
    This appears to be an issue on x64 OS only.
    This works on Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    I was using Windows 7 x32bit when I tried the code I posted above.

PowerPoster

On XP you can simply Shell "osk.exe" without any problems

I am running Windows 7 64-bit. It seems clear to me at this point that this is an issue on my computer. Possibly in my VB installation? I guess the problem isn't resolved, but I can't expect anyone else to help me who can't repeat the problem...

Apparently you did not try the solution at http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post4762329
    The issue is on 64bit OS where you have to disable WOW 64 redirection and then re-enable after calling OSK.exe

Dang. I didn't see that post. DrUnicode, you are absolutely correct! It works!

I don't understand exactly what this is doing. If it is disabling WOW 64 redirection, could that cause problems?

I don't understand exactly what this is doing. If it is disabling WOW 64 redirection, could that cause problems?
    It is only turning it off so that we can call the 32bit version of OSK.exe. It then immediately turns redirection back on. I don't see any problems here.

It is only turning it off so that we can call the 32bit version of OSK.exe. It then immediately turns redirection back on. I don't see any problems here.
    Although, I did notice that the program stops responding for a few seconds while attempting to close OSK! Is there a way to stop this?

Re: [RESOLVED] Onscreen Keyboard No Workie

Although, I did notice that the program stops responding for a few seconds while attempting to close OSK! Is there a way to stop this?
    Closes right away on my machine.
    Can other x64 users verify this?

Closes right away on my machine.
    Can other x64 users verify this?
    I am using x32 I my pc which, I am using to write this post! That method was the only way I could get VB6 to open OSK without problems.

Here is another version that detects x64. x86 only needs the ShellExecute.
    At least this version gets rid of the On Error Resume Next:

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpszOp As String, ByVal lpszFile As String, ByVal lpszParams As String, ByVal LpszDir As String, ByVal FsShowCmd As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function Wow64EnableWow64FsRedirection Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal Enable As Boolean) As Boolean
    Private Declare Function GetProcAddress Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hModule As Long, ByVal lpProcName As String) As Long
    Private Declare Function GetModuleHandle Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetModuleHandleA" (ByVal lpModuleName As String) As Long
    Private Declare Function GetCurrentProcess Lib "kernel32" () As Long
    Private Declare Function IsWow64Process Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hProc As Long, bWow64Process As Long) As Long

If Is64bit Then
          ShellExecute 0, "open", "osk.exe", "", "", vbNormalFocus
       Else
       End If
    End Sub

Public Function Is64bit() As Long
       If GetProcAddress(GetModuleHandle("kernel32"), "IsWow64Process") > 0 Then
          IsWow64Process GetCurrentProcess(), Is64bit
       End If
    End Function
    Last edited by DrUnicode; Aug 9th, 2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Implemented changes bby LaVolpe

I had the same issue.
    I just restarted my vb6 project and

Shell "C:\Windows\System32\OSK.EXE"
    command worked for me...

Hello,
    I've been trying to do what you all suggested but I don't seem to achieve it.
    I'm trying to run this on a tablet with W10 64bits.

Any suggestion?

Here is another version that detects x64. x86 only needs the ShellExecute.
    At least this version gets rid of the On Error Resume Next:

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Declare Function GetProcAddress Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hModule As Long, ByVal lpProcName As String) As Long
    Private Declare Function GetModuleHandle Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetModuleHandleA" (ByVal lpModuleName As String) As Long
    Private Declare Function IsWow64Process Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hProc As Long, bWow64Process As Boolean) As Long

If Is64bit Then
          ShellExecute Me.hwnd, "open", "osk.exe", "", App.Path, vbNormalFocus
       Else
       End If
    End Sub

Public Function Is64bit() As Boolean
       End If
    End Function

Quote Originally Posted by carotsss View Post
    Hello,
    I've been trying to do what you all suggested but I don't seem to achieve it.
    I'm trying to run this on a tablet with W10 64bits.

Any suggestion?
    An idea. The IsWow64Process API declaration is incorrect, following includes changes (in blue)
    Code:
    Private Declare Function IsWow64Process Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hProc As Long, bWow64Process As Long) As Long

If Is64bit Then
       Else
       End If
    End Sub

Public Function Is64bit() As Long
       End If
    End Function

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Changed to bWow64Process As Long and it still works OK here on Win10 x64 Ver 1703.
    Update code at http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post4763319
    Last edited by DrUnicode; Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:48 AM.

Without change in API declare from boolean to long, bad DLL calling convention error received in VBA.

With change noted, works in VBA module also, x64, if you remove the Me & App references, i.e...

PowerPoster

Seems to work just fine, pretty much anywhere:

Code:
        'Use late binding because Microsoft has failed to maintain binary compatibility
        'for Shell32.dll between different versions of Windows.
        Const ssfSYSTEM = 37

With CreateObject("Shell.Application")
            .NameSpace(ssfSYSTEM).ParseName("osk.exe").InvokeVerb "open"
        End With

ok, (i'm a beginner on this). So I should create a new modul and put this code on...
    and then, how do I call it in the textboxt I want the keyboard to appear on?
    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Seems to work just fine, pretty much anywhere:

Code:
        'Use late binding because Microsoft has failed to maintain binary compatibility
        'for Shell32.dll between different versions of Windows.
        Const ssfSYSTEM = 37

With CreateObject("Shell.Application")
            .NameSpace(ssfSYSTEM).ParseName("osk.exe").InvokeVerb "open"
        End With

PowerPoster

It may make more sense to take a look at:

How to automatically display the touch keyboard in Windows 10 desktop mode

The OSK is a keyboard, it isn't anchored to input to any specific control. The keystrokes go to whatever control has focus.

Tablet input has changed from version to version of Windows anyway, and these days can vary based on what type(s) of digitizers are present and active. Things work differently for low-res capacitive fat finger digitizers and hi-res stylus digitizers.

it doesn't work. The keyboard doesn't display when I click on the textbox...

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    It may make more sense to take a look at:

How to automatically display the touch keyboard in Windows 10 desktop mode

The OSK is a keyboard, it isn't anchored to input to any specific control. The keystrokes go to whatever control has focus.

Tablet input has changed from version to version of Windows anyway, and these days can vary based on what type(s) of digitizers are present and active. Things work differently for low-res capacitive fat finger digitizers and hi-res stylus digitizers.