Thread: CheckBox Logic

Frenzied Member

CheckBox Logic

Hi,

I have the following query which is NOT working as expected;

Code:
    Private Sub chkflg_CheckedChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles chkflg.CheckedChanged

If chkflg.Checked = True Then
    			If chkflg.Checked = False Then
    				MessageBox.Show("Please enter Disabled Date", "Customer Tracker", MessageBoxButtons.OK)
    				txtdisabledate.Focus()
    				Return
    			End If
    		End If

End Sub
    On Form Load, I have a checkbox called chkflag, this can be True or False at any one time. However, if the chkfkag status is TRUE i,e., checked.
    Then, the user options to uncheck the checkbox (sent it to FALSE), it should prompt the user to enter Disabled Date - by showing the message above, and set focus to the txtdisabledate.

The above code just doesnt work.. nothing happens when I uncheck the checkbox..

Thanks

Hyperactive Member

Re: CheckBox Logic

Your code looks to see if a checkbox is ticked and then after looks to see if it is not ticked

Code:
                    MessageBox.Show("Please enter Disabled Date", "Customer Tracker", MessageBoxButtons.OK)
                    txtdisabledate.Focus()
                    Return
                End If
    Last edited by drawlings; Sep 22nd, 2014 at 05:24 AM.

Something seems amiss in your logic. If chkflg.Checked = True then how can chkflg.Checked = False be true also?
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Frenzied Member

Ok - if I have it as;

Code:
    If chkflg.Checked = True Then
                    txtdisabledate.Focus()
                    Return
                End If
    At form load, if chkflg is TRUE and Disabled Date not entered. It gives the message "Please enter Disabled Date".. Why?

I ONLY want it to give the message when the checkbox is TRUE then a user options to change it to FALSE..

Thanks

It's firing off the event during hte load because it's changing... so it's doing exactly what you told it to do. This can be maddening if you're not expecting it, but at the same time it makes sense.

There are two ways to handle this.
    1) Remove the handles clause from the event handler. Then wire it up in the Load event of the form, after it's all done with defautl settings and such.
    2) Create a form level flag that has a default value of True, at the end of the form load, set it to false. Then in the checked event, check the flag, if it's set, then move on and exit the method, if it isn't set, then proceed with the logic.

personally I usually use option 1. It's a lot easier to deal with than having to modify the logic in various event handlers.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

Ok - Changed to;

Code:
    Private Sub btnSaveEdit_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnSaveEdit.Click

If chkflg_Click(sender, e) Then

txtdisabledate.Focus()
    				Return
    			End If
    		Else
    			Call SaveEdit()
    		End If

End Sub

Code:
    Private Sub chkflg_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles chkflg.Click

txtdisabledate.Focus()
    			Return
    		End If

End Sub
    What am trying to do at btnSaveEdit is;

- Check has the chkflg been unchecked? If Yes, then throw a message to enter the Disabled Date -- and focus to the respective field.
    However, if that is NOT true and the chkflg has not been unchecked (even thought Note: it might be False in other occassions like when a user is NOT set active as YET). The idea is ONLY when the chkflg is unchecked should you eneter disabled date. Secondly, there is a Save button so even if the message has been prompted and OK - and the textbox of disabled date focussed, the user might still option to click save button. I want it to check at this stage has chkflg been unchecked - if yes then request the disabledate before saving the rest of the information.

Then Call the sub
    SaveEdit()..

I receive an underlined error at this line of the code;

If chkflg_Click(sender, e) Then

Please help - Thank you
    Last edited by dr223; Sep 22nd, 2014 at 06:51 AM.

Ok... you're not new here, or to programming in general... so you're gonna get the uncoffeed version of TG here... (the coffee is still brewing and I've already had to deal with my offshore team, so I'm quite the cranky one)...3.

what the heck is the call to the click event handler even doing inside the button click event? AND you're trying to treat it like a function WHICH IS IT NOT! Even if it was, what would it return? Not to mention you then perform the exact same logic a second time... so the user has a chance of being prompted twice.

annnnnnnd you totally blew off what I was saying about the flag for the load event, which I thought was the issue in the first place.

Meanwhile, you're checking the state of the checkbox on the save button (or that's what you say you want) ... and if it's false, then to prompt them for the date.... OK... but you're already doing that in the CheckChanged event (actually you're using the click event... maybe you should look at the CheckChanged event instead). So you already know if it's been unchecked and have already prompted them.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

Okk--

but you're already doing that in the CheckChanged event (actually you're using the click event... maybe you should look at the CheckChanged event instead). So you already know if it's been unchecked and have already prompted them.

1) I have removed it from checkchanged event to Click event.. Reason: On Form Load if chkFlg is False - it prompts the message. This shouldn't happen, it should ONLY prompt the message if the status was TRUE and is changed to FALSE. N/B: The default status of the chkflg is FALSE.

2) I want to trigger the chkFlg event when the save button is clicked.. Reason: To check was the ChkFlg status changed from TRUE to FALSE, if YES then request disable date otherwise continue checking other validations before saving which is all in the saveedit() function.

I hope am clearer....

Thanks

1)- I know that.... that's why I said you had TWO choices... 1 - drop the Handles clause from the handler, and then wire it up LATER in the load even of the form....or 2) Set a FLAG that indicates that you're loading and to skip the check if you're still loading.

2) - I get that too... but that's NOT what you want... just THINK about it for a moment....
    The checkbox is checked.
    The user clears the check box.
    The user get prompted.
    The user then clicks close
    The user gets prompted (again)
    User chucks app out the window

Scenario 2
    User opens form
    Check box is cleared already (from the previous run)
    User clicks Close
    User still gets prompted for the date
    User chucks app out window

So... step 1 decide just exactly WHEN you want to prompt the user... when the clear the checkbox OR when they save... not both..... OR... you need to know something about the initial state of things.... and whether it has changed..

Here's an evolution of the process...

Code:
        Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            'At this point the CheckChanged event isn't hooked up, so we can do what ever we want with it.
            CheckBox1.Checked = True ' Will NOT fire the event....

'Wire up the CheckedChanged handler 
            AddHandler CheckBox1.CheckedChanged, AddressOf CheckBox1_CheckedChanged

End Sub
    Code:
    'See how there is no handles clause on it?
        Private Sub CheckBox1_CheckedChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)

If Not CheckBox1.Checked Then
                TextBox1.Focus()
                'Return '''why? there's no need for this

End If

End Sub

Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

TextBox1.Focus()
                'Return '''why? there's no need for this
            Else
                Me.Close() ' or call save edit in your case
            End If

End Sub

Ok, so now you see that you got two pieces of code that are the same... they should be refactored into a function:

Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

If CheckDisabledDate() Then
                Me.Close() ' or call save edit in your case
            End If

End Sub

CheckDisabledDate()

End Sub

Private Function CheckDisabledDate() As Boolean
            Dim retValue As Boolean = True 'This is the default value, could be False depending on how you want it to react
            'The default return is True, so we're assuming we're going to have a clean run
                TextBox1.Focus()
                retValue = False ' this isnt' a clean run
            End If

Return retValue
        End Function
    It still has the prompt twice issue though... so we need to know if it's been handled ... best way... check for a date... so we add that to our condition:
    Code:
            Dim retValue As Boolean = True 'This is the default value, could be False depending on how you want it to react
            If ((Not CheckBox1.Checked) andalso (TextBox1.Text = String.Empty)) Then
                TextBox1.Focus()
            End If

Return retValue
        End Function
    Could have just as easily used a form flag - in fact, since I'd probably use a DateTimePicker for the date, I would use a flag:
    Code:
    Private flgDisableDateSet as Boolean = False

If ((Not CheckBox1.Checked) andalso (Not flgDisableDateSet )) Then
                TextBox1.Focus()
                flgDisableDateSet = True
            End If

Return retValue
        End Function
    depending on how testing then goes, the CheckChanged event might need to be dealt with:
    Code:

CheckDisabledDate()
            if CheckBox1.Checked then 
                flgDisableDateSet = false
           end if

End Sub
    -tg

Frenzied Member

Thank you so much for the detailed analysis of the problem..

Ok - I have the following codes;

Code:
    Private Sub chkflg_CheckedChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles chkflg.CheckedChanged
    		CheckDisabledDate()
    	End Sub
    Code:

Dim retValue As Boolean = True
    		If ((Not chkflg.Checked) AndAlso (txtdisabledate.Text = String.Empty)) Then
    			txtdisabledate.Focus()
    			retValue = True
    		End If
    		Return retValue
    	End Function
    The ONLY problem is when when chkflg is FALSE it triggers the message 2 times before it loads the data on the form. Eventhough, it should just load the data ...

Sigh.... yes... of course it does... because you've got the handles clause... if you remove it, then use addhandler - as i showed - then it shouldn't do that. You'll want to put the AddHandler command after you've got the data loaded.

-tg

Frenzied Member

Ok -

Added this on form load;

Code:
    Private Sub FrmUser_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'Dscountry.tblCountry' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
    		Me.TblCountryTableAdapter.FillCountry(Me.Dscountry.tblCountry)

'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'DsOrgName.tblOrganisation' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
    		Me.TblOrganisationTableAdapter.FillOrgname(Me.DsOrgName.tblOrganisation)

'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'Dsskeyfobno.tblKeyfob' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
    		Me.TblKeyfobTableAdapter.Fill(Me.Dsskeyfobno.tblKeyfob)

'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'Dstraininglocation.tblTrainingLocType' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
    		Me.TblTrainingLocTypeTableAdapter.FillTrainLoc(Me.Dstraininglocation.tblTrainingLocType)

'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'Dskeyfobflg.tblKeyfobflag' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
    		Me.TblKeyfobflagTableAdapter.FillKeyfobFlag(Me.Dskeyfobflg.tblKeyfobflag)

'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'Dstitle.tblTitleType' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
    		Me.TblTitleTypeTableAdapter.FillTitle(Me.Dstitle.tblTitleType)

Me.MdiParent = FrmMain

Disablegroups()

Call PopulateUserDetails()

mclskyfbHistory = DatabaseAdapter.LoadkyfbHistory()
    		Call PLVkyfbHistory()

chkflg.Checked = True
    		AddHandler chkflg.CheckedChanged, AddressOf chkflg_CheckedChanged

End Sub
    Code:
    Private Sub btnSaveEdit_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnSaveEdit.Click

If CheckDisabledDate() Then
    			Call SaveEdit()
    		End If

End Sub

Whenever, a form is loaded, regardless if the chkflg is checked or NOT - it calls the messages twice before it uploads the data.

Secondly, when I change the chkflg from TRUE to FALSE - it works OK it triggers the message but the message appears twice before it gets focus to txtdisabledate..
    Finally, when I click Save button it just Saves the work - regardless of noting entering the disabed date...

What am I doing worng?

Quote Originally Posted by dr223 View Post
    Whenever, a form is loaded, regardless if the chkflg is checked or NOT - it calls the messages twice before it uploads the data.

Secondly, when I change the chkflg from TRUE to FALSE - it works OK it triggers the message but the message appears twice before it gets focus to txtdisabledate..
    Finally, when I click Save button it just Saves the work - regardless of noting entering the disabed date...

What am I doing worng?
    do you still have the handles clause on it?
    Code:
    Private Sub chkflg_CheckedChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles chkflg.CheckedChanged' REMOVE this bit
    		CheckDisabledDate()
    	End Sub
    -tg

Frenzied Member

Removed --

Code:
    Private Sub chkflg_CheckedChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
    		CheckDisabledDate()
    	End Sub

Still same behaviour....

then set breakpoints and check the call stack to see what's triggering it.

-tg

Frenzied Member

Form Load - Triggers Message

Hi,

The following code is triggered on form load when chkflg is FALSE.

Code:

txtdisabledate.Focus()
    			lblactstatus.Text = "chkflgSetFalse"
    		End If

End Sub
    I haven't done any checkedChange but the message is called... Why?

On Form Load, I want it NOT to show the message even if chkflg status is False.. Unless the user changes the chkflg status from True to False..

Thanks

PowerPoster

Re: Form Load - Triggers Message

Are you assigning a value to chkflg in the form load event or is it a bound control?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

Threads merged

Quote Originally Posted by dr223 View Post
    Thank you so much for the detailed analysis of the problem..

Ok - I have the following codes;

Code:
            CheckDisabledDate()
        End Sub
    Code:

Dim retValue As Boolean = True
                txtdisabledate.Focus()
                retValue = True
            End If
            Return retValue
        End Function
    The ONLY problem is when when chkflg is FALSE it triggers the message 2 times before it loads the data on the form. Eventhough, it should just load the data ...
    whats the point of this function? No matter what you return true.