Thread: VbtoConverter - any feedback?

VbtoConverter - any feedback?

Hi all,

I'm looking into some possibilities of tool-assisted migration from Vb6 to .NET and I've stumbled upon the usual services that get recommended. However, recently the VBto Converter by some russian company has popped up at a - let's say - remarkably low price and I've tried finding some feedback on its performance, but except for generic ratings there's almost nothing to be found. So, is there by any chance anyone here who has some experience with it? Heard anything? It's seems a bit too good to be true (considering what everyone else charges)... I'll probably download the trial version and check that out, but was wondering if anyone has had the chance to try the real thing.

Looking forward to everybody's input!

Re: VbtoConverter - any feedback?

David Anton here on vbforums might be good person to give you advice on this subject, there is also a link to Tangible Software Solutions in his signature. Send him a pm with a link to this thread so he knows you are look for advice.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Personally i would avoid all VB6 to .Net converter packages.

While it is possible they may convert some simpler packages across correctly on the most part they just do not work.

The second reason NOT to use a converter is one of the great thing about migrating an old VB6 App to .Net is you get to re-write it using the new functionality that just never existed in VB6.

With a Re-write you could use Lists instead of Arrays, you could look at lamda & Linq, and a number of other features which may help you achieve the same goal better. You could even consider whether your app should be on the Web rather than the desktop as you can write ASP.Net apps in VB.Net.

Finally unless your original application was really well written, you will be copying over all the mistakes (both architecturally and just plain defects) into your new project.

I know there are some who think they have invested all this time in the old code base and don't want to re-write it, but i would advise you to bite the bullet and spend the time. Not only will you be able to learn a lot about .Net while you write it (which will make you a better .Net programmer), your highly likely to come out of it with a better application.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Thanks for your replies, everyone! I'll keep looking into this in more detail.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Did you actually try outthe converter and, if so, what was your own feedback on it? I generally agree with NeedSomeAnswers criticisms of converters but, none the less, there are times whan an automatic convert would be the right thing to do. If there is a decent converter out there to handle those occasions I know folks would want to know about it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd