Thread: Error in code need help please

Banned

Error in code need help please

Hi everyone, I wondered if it would be possible to help me out with an error I'm having. Ive only been learning Visual Basic a cpl of months and don't know where to start when I receive errors like this. I've included a screenshot and will include the code . It may not be very good as I'm still trying to get my head round it all. If someone could have a look please and explain to me where I have gone wrong that would be very appreciated.

Name:  ERROR.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  48.5 KB

Code:
    Public Class Form1
        Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            Call navigatesite()
        End Sub
        Private Sub navigatesite()
            Try
                WebBrowser1.Navigate("http://afreesms.com/freesms/", False)
                While WebBrowser1.ReadyState <> WebBrowserReadyState.Complete
                    Application.DoEvents()
                End While
                Call getcaptcha()
            Catch ex As Exception
                MsgBox(ex.StackTrace)
            End Try
        End Sub
        Private Sub getcaptcha()
            Dim doc As mshtml.IHTMLDocument2 = WebBrowser1.Document.DomDocument
            Dim imgRange As mshtml.IHTMLControlRange = CType(doc.body, mshtml.HTMLBody).createControlRange
            For Each img As mshtml.IHTMLImgElement In doc.images
                If img.GetAttribute("src").ToString.Contains("http://afreesms.com/image.php") Then
                    imgRange.add(img)
                    imgRange.execCommand("copy", False, Nothing)
                    PictureBox1.Image = Clipboard.GetDataObject.GetData(DataFormats.Bitmap)
                    Exit For
                End If
            Next
        End Sub

Private Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.TextChanged
            WebBrowser1.Document.GetElementById("imgcode").SetAttribute("value", TextBox1.Text)
        End Sub

Private Sub TextBox2_TextChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox2.TextChanged
            WebBrowser1.Document.GetElementById("countrycode").SetAttribute("value", "GB")
        End Sub

Private Sub TextBox3_TextChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox3.TextChanged
            WebBrowser1.Document.GetElementById("smsto").SetAttribute("value", TextBox3.Text)
        End Sub

Private Sub TextBox4_TextChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox4.TextChanged
            WebBrowser1.Document.GetElementById("message").SetAttribute("value", TextBox4.Text)
        End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Me.Close()
        End Sub
    End Class

Larger Image
    Code:
    http://s9.postimg.org/xrdwsrcq7/ERROR.png

After Browsing the forum I appear to have posted in the wrong section apologies for that.
    Last edited by Warlock72; Sep 17th, 2014 at 08:16 AM.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Error in code need help please

No problem. I'm moving your post to the .Net forum which should be the best fit. If you accidentally post in the wrong forum again just click the report button at the bottom of the post (the triangle with the exclamation mark) and we'll move it for you.

Welcome to the forum.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Banned

Thanks FunkyDexter. Sorry about that

When you get an error message saying that an error occurred creating the form, it pretty much always means that one of the property values that you set in the designer has caused an event to be raised and you have written that event handler assuming that some state exists that doesn't when the form is being created. For instance, if you set the Text of a TextBox in the designer then the TextChanged event of that TextBox will be raised during creation of the form. If you have handled the TextChanged event and, for instance, assumed that the user has made a selection in a ComboBox that they haven't even seen yet, an exception will be thrown.

So, that error dialogue has a link on it that says View Detail for a reason. You can click that and view the details of the exception. It will tell you exactly where it occurred and you can then go to that location in the code and determine what you've done wrong. If you still aren't sure, put a breakpoint on the first line of the event handler (F9) and then step through the code line by line (F10) when it breaks. You can then see the values of all variables during execution and see what is not what you expect it to be. Once you know the cause, then you can modify the code to ensure the exception is not thrown, e.g. check for Nothing first.