Thread: [RESOLVED] Wireless Router Question

Resolved [RESOLVED] Wireless Router Question

We have a Linksys Wireless Router that we use to connect our laptops on. It is a model WRT12ON router and it is installed on our desktop that is running Windows XP Home Edition. Both of our laptops are Toshibas running Windows 8. The router keeps disconnecting and we have been unplugging it to reset it, our Internet is provided by Time Warner Cable. Any suggestions as how we might resolve the disconnecting issue. I am worried that that since we are running Windows XP Home Edition and it is no longer supported that it might cause problems trying to update any drivers.
    Thanks
    CoachBarker

Code Bank Contribution
    Login/Manage Users/Navigate Records
    VB.Net | C#

Helpful Links: VB.net Tutorial | C Sharp Tutorial | SQL Basics

Re: Wireless Router Question

Wireless routers are not dependent on a dedicated computer. They are independently operating devices. I had a wireless router give me the same problems. I never figured out what was wrong with it and just ended up replacing it entirely because it was easier than trying to troubleshoot.

Make sure the router is in a well ventilated area. That was one thing i found a lot of people were having problems with when researching my problem online.

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    Wireless routers are not dependent on a dedicated computer. They are independently operating devices. I had a wireless router give me the same problems. I never figured out what was wrong with it and just ended up replacing it entirely because it was easier than trying to troubleshoot.
    I am glad I am not the only one who has had this problem although, I have yet to find a solution that works too.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Thanks for the info.
    Thanks
    CoachBarker

Code Bank Contribution
    VB.Net | C#

PowerPoster

It sounds like this "router" is some sort of "all in one combo" incorporating a cable modem, router, ethernet switch, and WiFi access point.

Because of the cable modem inside, the carrier (Time Warner) has full control of the firmware. Your client systems, wired or wireless, have nothing to do with this. While you might need a firmware update that's pretty much beyond your control completely. If the carrier pushes it they push it, and if they don't you never get an update and cannot install one yourself.

However it is probably just as (maybe far more) likely that the modem is losing sync with the head-end equipment. This can be due to lots of things including an oversubscribed head-end. Again, nothing you can do except reboot and hope for the best or wait it out for automatic cycling to correct the problem.

Cable Internet is awful, and the only thing worse is DSL!

Sadly most of the carriers are in comfortable monopolistic situations with no incentive to improve service.

There are updayes for the router available, would it doing any good trying to install them or just cause more problems?
    Thanks
    CoachBarker

Code Bank Contribution
    VB.Net | C#

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBarker View Post
    There are updayes for the router available, would it doing any good trying to install them or just cause more problems?
    Sadly, sometimes the answer is yup. I've had some updated fix things, and other updates totally rooster it up too.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *