Thread: What's your sport?

What's your sport?

I only play chess as I lack the stamina to play physical sports
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Re: What's your sport?

I was right into cricket when I was in primary school and right into basketball when in high school. Did a lot of roller-blading in my 30s and ended up playing roller-hockey. Don't really participate these days but I'm a crciket fan still. I was born in the UK so I support England, which is hard enough right now, but I also live in Australia, which makes it much harder.

King of sapila

Basketball, football, err i mean Soccer for you USians and 100 meters running.
    Actually i don't recall anyone in Greece not hitting a football some time in His life.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Basketball, football, err i mean Soccer for you USians and 100 meters running.
    Actually i don't recall anyone in Greece not hitting a football some time in His life.
    Football's big almost everywhere but would you say that basketball is the second-most popular sport in Greece? It seems to be from what I've seen/heard/read.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Football's big almost everywhere but would you say that basketball is the second-most popular sport in Greece? It seems to be from what I've seen/heard/read.
    Yes basketball is the second most popular, that happened when the Greek team won the Eurobasket in 1987, from then forth the interest sky rocketed.
    Most popular is football, can't recall the third most popular...I guess volley ball?
    If we count chess as a sport then the Greek checkers is more popular than football i guess..

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Yes basketball is the second most popular, that happened when the Greek team won the Eurobasket in 1987, from then forth the interest sky rocketed.
    They say that nothing succeeds like success.

Best sport in the world lol
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Seriously though. Played cricket when I was much younger. Played a bit of football too(soccer for you Americans ). Haven't played a sport in years though.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

While in High School it was Football, Wrestling and competitive swimming in the summer.
    Thanks
    CoachBarker

Code Bank Contribution
    Login/Manage Users/Navigate Records
    VB.Net | C#

Helpful Links: VB.net Tutorial | C Sharp Tutorial | SQL Basics

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Last sport I was into was soccer but that was a good 10 years ago I don't have a conventional sport at this time but do mix it up with several MMA fighters in the area but not at competition level, way too old for that.

When I was in High School I did Cross-Country (basically 5k races) Tennis, Badminton and Track & Field (4x4 relay & 2 mile).
    Now I mostly go kayaking and biking. I still run occasionally as well. Getting into conditioning for a local major 10k that's comming up next year.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I played a bit of rugby when I was at school and was also a pretty decent cross country runner. These days it's climbing and snow-boarding. I think I probably need to take up running again as my midriff is starting to spread a little.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

To watch: baseball, American college football, Aussie rules football, or anything with wheels & an engine.

To participate in: shifter kart racing, dirt bike (enduro) racing...

Name:  20121001_194027.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  20121003_180042.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  85.7 KB
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Rugby Union as i played for over 20 years until i got too old and too injured.

Then Cricket and Football.... although i will watch most sports in particular at the Olympics where i will watch sports i barely new existed
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Rugby Union
    ...which is the ony proper kind of rugby. League is just British Bulldog with a ball.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

In Greece, rugby is as popular as elephant polo

...which is the only proper kind of rugby.
    Of Course, i wanted to make sure of the distinction, which i would guess most people on here wont have a clue about.

In Greece, rugby is as popular as elephant polo
    ... actually i think i might watch Elephant polo

You don't know what your missing Sapator, the Rugby World cup is on next year in England and the way the teams are looking at the moment it is looking at being an excellent tournament.

n.b. i have just noticed Sapator that Spell-check wants to change your name to 'Pastor' hehe.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

The trouble is that rugby union isn't really a very good spectator sport. The ball spends too much time buried in a heaving mass of bodies shuffling up and down the pitch like a old lady with a zimmer frame. Except for when it's breaking out to the backs it's pretty hard to see what's going on. I think that's why it's never achieved the same popularity as Football or American Football (or HandEgg as it should correctly be called).

Oddly enough League is probably better for spectators because you don't get the rucks and mauls but I find it way too repetitive. Although watching a league team go in for a scrum is comedy gold. Half the time the props are stood bolt upright, presumably so they can wave to their mum in the crowd.

King of sapila

Sorry my friends but rugby is a thing that no Greek will ever watch. I personally may have seen a half time match if you cut and paste all the random moments i ever watched rugby, being in England and USA some years ago but that's about it.
    It's like making an American watch footb..err soccer.

The trouble is that rugby union isn't really a very good spectator sport.
    While this may have been the case in the past i would now disagree.

The way the top teams are playing the game at the moment is fantastic and as good if not better to watch as any other major team sport in particular at International level.

Normally i would say that the Premiership (English National Championship) is poor to watch, however last season there was much improvement and i ended up watching some of the new season the other day and again the attacking play on display was fantastic. The top teams seem to have really upped there game and are playing a really great form of attacking Rugby at the moment.

I actually like American Football apart from all the breaks, which is why i record it and fast forward the intervals.

I occasionally watch Basketball too, but it seems to me that they should just get rid completely of the first half, its a waste of time. Everything happens in the Second half.

Sorry my friends but rugby is a thing that no Greek will ever watch
    You don't need to apologise to me, its your and your countries loss my friend

baseball. American League.

LETS GO OAKLAND...!
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

King of sapila

Ah yes baseball, another sport Greeks will never watch.

Till my 30's I played football (soccer).
    Nowadays I play water polo and like doing and training for triathlons (1/4, OD and 1/2).

PowerPoster

Still playing (association) football at 42 and hope to keep going (albeit ever slower) for the rest of the decade...it helps that I am a goalkeeper

Ouch, it looks like I am the only non-athletic type here.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

To be fair, if you create a thread called "What's your sport?", it's mostly going to be the sporty types that open it.