Thread: How to get all the sub folders under a directory vb6

How to get all the sub folders under a directory vb6

Under this folder
    mstrOwnerFolder holds: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\RoofCalculator\Williams 1247 RiverBend rd

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\RoofCalculator\Williams 1247 RiverBend rd\Roofing Bids
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\RoofCalculator\Williams 1247 RiverBend rd\Fencing Bids
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\RoofCalculator\Williams 1247 RiverBend rd\LanndScaping Bids
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\RoofCalculator\Williams 1247 RiverBend rd\Gardner Bids
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\RoofCalculator\Williams 1247 RiverBend rd\New Gutter Bids
    I am trying to get these sub folders
    Roofing Bids
    Fencing Bids
    LanndScaping Bids
    Gardner Bids
    New Gutter Bids
    Had a problem with FSO few yrs ago so i would rather not use it
    Tried this to no avail

Code:
    Sub AddFoldersToCbo()
    Dim MyFile, MyPath, MyName
    MyPath = mstrOwnerFolder
    MyName = Dir(MyPath, vbDirectory)
    Do While MyName <> ""
          If MyPath = vbDirectory Then
            Debug.Print MyName
       End If
       MyName = Dir
    Loop
    End Sub
    how to do this ?
    Waiting for a full featured smart phone with out marrying a provider
    Go Android
    Go raiders

Re: How to get all the sub folders under a directory vb6

when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

Wow lots of Variants there. Is there a reason?

In any case I assume MyPath is a (Variant) String. Why would it ever make sense for it to be equal to vbDirectory, an enum value equal to 16?

The Dir() example in the VB6 manual does exactly what you want, almost suspiciously so right down to the embarrassing clunkiness of using Variants. Is your clipboard broken?

dilettante you talking about?

Code:
    ' Display the names in C:\ that represent directories.
    MyPath = "c:\"   ' Set the path.
    MyName = Dir(MyPath, vbDirectory)   ' Retrieve the first entry.
    Do While MyName <> ""   ' Start the loop.
       ' Ignore the current directory and the encompassing directory.
       If MyName <> "." And MyName <> ".." Then
          ' Use bitwise comparison to make sure MyName is a directory.
          If (GetAttr(MyPath & MyName) And vbDirectory) = vbDirectory Then
             Debug.Print MyName   ' Display entry only if it
          End If   ' it represents a directory.
       End If
       MyName = Dir   ' Get next entry.
    Loop
    I could only get it to subfolders if the whole path plus extention was in the "Mypath" variable.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Thanks Nightwalker83, but that's overkill and wants a pattern
    Go Android
    Go raiders

I would advise that you avoid using that stupid Dir function for all but the simplest tasks. Don't know why MS kept that old QuickBasic relic in the language. You should instead use something based on the FindFirstFile API. I'll have to go through my old VB6 projects to see if I have an implementation for subdirectory enumeration lying around.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I would advise that you avoid using that stupid Dir function for all but the simplest tasks. Don't know why MS kept that old QuickBasic relic in the language. You should instead use something based on the FindFirstFile API. I'll have to go through my old VB6 projects to see if I have an implementation for subdirectory enumeration lying around.
    thanks for adding that.didn't realize this was such a big thing.
    My app creates the directories so i have decided to store the paths in a string array and save that
    Go Android
    Go raiders

PowerPoster

It isn't a big thing at all, and the Dir() function is nothing but a thin wrapper around the ANSI FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile() calls. There is little to be gained by calling them directly.

Slow down, take a breath, and debug your code. This is simple stuff people do all the time and it seems extremely strange that it is giving you such fits.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    dilettante you talking about?

Code:
    ' Display the names in C:\ that represent directories.
    MyPath = "c:\"   ' Set the path.
    MyName = Dir(MyPath, vbDirectory)   ' Retrieve the first entry.
    Do While MyName <> ""   ' Start the loop.
       ' Ignore the current directory and the encompassing directory.
       If MyName <> "." And MyName <> ".." Then
          ' Use bitwise comparison to make sure MyName is a directory.
          If (GetAttr(MyPath & MyName) And vbDirectory) = vbDirectory Then
             Debug.Print MyName   ' Display entry only if it
          End If   ' it represents a directory.
       End If
       MyName = Dir   ' Get next entry.
    Loop
    I could only get it to subfolders if the whole path plus extention was in the "Mypath" variable.
    Yes, that example works fine. Just make sure your MyPath value ends in a "\" character or it thinks you are asking about the contents of the folder above that one.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    the Dir() function is nothing but a thin wrapper around the ANSI FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile() calls. There is little to be gained by calling them directly.
    I beg to differ. Try writing a recursive search to enumerate a directory tree and you'd see just how retarded Dir really is. Unlike the APIs it calls, you cannot obtain a search handle and as such Dir only maintains one search handle at a time. This is the Achilles Heel of the Dir function. And we haven't even begun to talk about multi-threaded or server applications. Imagine a server trying to serve multiple requests from different clients(possibly on multiple threads), all of which need to perform a quick look-up of the file system. Dir certainly cannot be used in this case unless you synchronize access to the filesystem yourself so Dir wouldn't be used by more than one thread at a time. That ridiculous relic has caused me all kinds of pain before I stopped using it. I only way I used it before I stopped using VB6 was to check if a file existed. Seemed the only thing it was good for. For anything that involved complex searching where I needed control over multiple handles, I used the APIs directly.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

You don't need (and don't want) to retain those handles. That leads to tremendous overhead, and is an especially poor idea for a server.

It is a simple matter to cache folder namess and then traverse each of those after completing the list at the current level. Trivial, and easily done with excellent performance as demonstrated in the CodeBank thread already linked in post #2 here.

There is no reason to send somebody off on a wild goose chase when they can't get even simple things they copy/pasted to work.

PowerPoster

In this case the question is only about getting folders that are in a given folder. Should be very simple using Dir$()

In fact the code in the OP is almost correct as is probably just missing the \ on the path

Frenzied Member

This is my RecDir class, and there http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...-Folder-Select is an example of using it. Also there are three types of sorting.
    In a form
    Code:
    Public WithEvents yourDir As RecDir

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Set yourDir = New RecDir
    yourDir.IncludedFolders = True
    yourDir.Nofiles = True
    yourDir.LevelStop = 3
    yourDir.Dir2 "c:\"
    End Sub

Private Sub yourDir_DirFinished()
    Dim i As Long
    Caption = yourDir.listcount
    ' i start from 1 to exclude .. or from 0 to included it
    ' If we set the topfolder then the ".." label is excluded automatic therefor we start always from 0
    ' but this is needed only in a file selector

For i = 1 To yourDir.listcount - 1
    List1.AddItem Mid$(yourDir.List(i), 2)
    Next i
    End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files

It is a simple matter to cache folder namess and then traverse each of those after completing the list at the current level. Trivial, and easily done with excellent performance as demonstrated in the CodeBank thread already linked in post #2 here.
    I've actually done it that way and its no where near as elegant or simple as the recursive method. Of course its really a matter of preference. Whatever works for you I guess.

There is no reason to send somebody off on a wild goose chase when they can't get even simple things they copy/pasted to work.
    Fair enough. I just hate hate that Dir function. I had to say something. I was strongly compelled to chime in.

Niya,

I found this class impressive, but am unable to use it on a server as this class seems to be written for a client.
    I have now loaded it as a class in my server side code in my project group.
    How can I use your class on the server by just giving a pathname and a pattern from my client?

Thanks
    PK

Frenzied Member

Yes, I am aware this thread's last reply is from 2019. But hoping someone can still use this:

Code:
    'This module contains this program's main code.
    Option Explicit

Private Declare Function SafeArrayGetDim Lib "Oleaut32.dll" (ByRef saArray() As String) As Long

'This procedure returns the directories contained by the current directory.
    Private Function GetDirectories() As String()
    On Error GoTo ErrorTrap
    Dim Directories() As String
    Dim Item As String

Item = Dir$("*.*", vbArchive Or vbDirectory Or vbHidden Or vbReadOnly Or vbSystem)
       Do Until Item = vbNullString
          If (GetAttr(Item) And vbDirectory) = vbDirectory Then
             If Not (Item = "." Or Item = "..") Then
                ChDir Item
                ChDir ".."

If SafeArrayGetDim(Directories()) = 0 Then
                   ReDim Directories(0 To 0) As String
                Else
                   ReDim Preserve Directories(LBound(Directories()) To UBound(Directories()) + 1) As String
                End If
                Directories(UBound(Directories())) = Item
             End If
          End If
    NextDirectory:
          If Item = vbNullString Then Exit Do
          Item = Dir$(, vbArchive Or vbDirectory Or vbHidden Or vbReadOnly Or vbSystem)
       Loop

GetDirectories = Directories()
       Exit Function

ErrorTrap:
       Resume NextDirectory
    End Function

'This procedure writes the directory tree starting at the specified root to the specified file.
    Private Sub GetDirectoryTree(Root As String, FileH As Long)
    Dim Directories() As String
    Dim DirectoryIndex() As Long

ChDrive Left$(Root, InStr(Root, ":"))
       ChDir Root

ReDim DirectoryIndex(0 To 0) As Long
       DirectoryIndex(UBound(DirectoryIndex())) = 0
       Do
          DoEvents
          Do
             Directories() = GetDirectories()
             If SafeArrayGetDim(Directories()) = 0 Then Exit Do
             ChDir Directories(DirectoryIndex(UBound(DirectoryIndex())))
             ReDim Preserve DirectoryIndex(LBound(Directories()) To UBound(DirectoryIndex()) + 1) As Long
          Loop

Do
             Print #FileH, CurDir$()
             ChDir ".."
             Directories() = GetDirectories()
             If UBound(DirectoryIndex()) = LBound(DirectoryIndex()) Then Exit Sub
             ReDim Preserve DirectoryIndex(LBound(DirectoryIndex()) To UBound(DirectoryIndex()) - 1) As Long

If DirectoryIndex(UBound(DirectoryIndex())) < UBound(Directories()) Then
                DirectoryIndex(UBound(DirectoryIndex())) = DirectoryIndex(UBound(DirectoryIndex())) + 1
                Exit Do
             End If
          Loop
       Loop
    End Sub

'This procedure scans through a directory tree.
    Private Sub Main()
    On Error GoTo ErrorTrap
    Dim FileH As Long
    Dim OutputFile As String
    Dim Root As String

ChDrive Left$(App.Path, InStr(App.Path, ":"))
       ChDir App.Path

Root = Left$(App.Path, InStr(App.Path, ":")) & "\"
       OutputFile = App.Path
       If Not Right$(OutputFile, 1) = "\" Then OutputFile = OutputFile & "\"
       OutputFile = OutputFile & "Tree.txt"

Root = InputBox$("Start at:", , Root)
       If Root = vbNullString Then Exit Sub
       OutputFile = InputBox$("Output file: ", , OutputFile)
       If OutputFile = vbNullString Then Exit Sub

FileH = FreeFile()
       Open OutputFile For Output Lock Read Write As FileH
          GetDirectoryTree Root, FileH
       Close FileH

EndRoutine:
       Exit Sub

ErrorTrap:
       MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation
       Resume EndRoutine
    End Sub
    @niya - It hardly matters especially after 6 years, but the DIR function appears to have been a late addition to Quick Basic. It only appeared with version 7.1.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post

@niya - It hardly matters especially after 6 years, but the DIR function appears to have been a late addition to Quick Basic. It only appeared with version 7.1.
    Not sure where you got that notion but I am pretty sure it was around long before that. I just looked to confirm and it is definitely in VB-DOS which is in line with Quick Basic 4.5 which btw is the last version of Quick Basic and still available on the MS web site. 7.1 sounds like you are talking about the product they called PDS which I think did go up to 7.1 but given its apparent roots in Quick Basic it likely had the Dir$() function in earlier versions.

[QUOTE=Peter Swinkels;5486595]Yes, I am aware this thread's last reply is from 2019. But hoping someone can still use this:

[code]

Thanks Peter, I can still use it in an upgrade to my .dll

PK

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Not sure where you got that notion but I am pretty sure it was around long before that. I just looked to confirm and it is definitely in VB-DOS which is in line with Quick Basic 4.5 which btw is the last version of Quick Basic and still available on the MS web site. 7.1 sounds like you are talking about the product they called PDS which I think did go up to 7.1 but given its apparent roots in Quick Basic it likely had the Dir$() function in earlier versions.
    Hello DataMiser,

I got the notion by checking my copy of Quick Basic 7.1 (PDS?) and 4.5. The latter doesn't have the DIR function as far as I can tell. And yes, Visual Basic for DOS has that function but I isn't that separate from Quick Basic?

yours,
    Peter Swinkels

@peekay: you're welcome!

PowerPoster

I have QB4.5 pro here somewhere but has been years since I did anything with it. I have the manual for VBDos setting on my shelf so I did look it up in there.
    To the best of my knowledge the Quick Basic product only goes to 4.5. After ward they continued what they called PDS [Microsoft Basic Professional Development System] which goes up to 7.1
    It would appear both predate VB-Dos so I can't be sure now without looking at the actual 4.5 version which is not installed on any of my current PCs and I have no idea where the installer is.

That said after doing a quick search it does appear that Dir$() was added late. The only reference I can find in older forms of Basic is the Files function.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I have QB4.5 pro here somewhere but has been years since I did anything with it. I have the manual for VBDos setting on my shelf so I did look it up in there.
    To the best of my knowledge the Quick Basic product only goes to 4.5. After ward they continued what they called PDS [Microsoft Basic Professional Development System] which goes up to 7.1
    It would appear both predate VB-Dos so I can't be sure now without looking at the actual 4.5 version which is not installed on any of my current PCs and I have no idea where the installer is.

That said after doing a quick search it does appear that Dir$() was added late. The only reference I can find in older forms of Basic is the Files function.
    Hi DataMiser,

I didn’t know there was a pro version of Quick Basic 4.5. If that is the case you could be right after all.

Peter