Thread: Restarting my VB6 Program

Hyperactive Member

Restarting my VB6 Program

I want to make my VB6 program restart(terminate->start) programatically.
    Is it possible?

Re: Restarting my VB6 Program

It is possible but what circumstance do you want the program to restart itself, on some application error? You would need a way to quit the program without calling the "Restart" code incase the user wants to quit the program without restarting.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

Just start another copy with Shell and then terminate.

Or is there something more you haven't told us yet?

Is this serious? you can fake it by making two forms, the first form will be hidden(transparent) this will call your second form (main) in restarting.

After unloading the main form reload it again

Private Sub Commantd1_Click()
    Unload me
    Form_Load
    End Sub

PowerPoster

If I had to guess I'd think either the program has memory leaks and other issues and needs to be restarted every so often before it crashes or locks up, or else this is part of some kind of program self-update process.

Form fiddling won't help in either case, nor in many other rarer scenarios.

I'm curious about the reason behind it too... because that could potentially dictate what the solution ends up being.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

Thanks.
    It seems this is only way.

Code:
    If (...) Then
       Shell "MyProgram.exe"
       End
    End If
    The reason why I try this is that there's an option to choose language in the preference of my program.
    For example, if choose "French", program should be terminated and restart to read the language file and load on the memory which is to be applied to the French texts of my program.

Is there any other better way?

PowerPoster

I'd avoid the End statement and exit cleanly to avoid potential loss of data, but aside from that this might be a pretty convenient approach.

It depends on how much work it would be to just start using the new "language file" without restarting.

Code:
    Private Sub Command1_Click()
    If opt1.Value = True Then
    Me.Caption = "Hello"
    Me.Visible = False
    Call restart
    ElseIf opt2.Value = True Then
    Me.Caption = "Hola"
    Me.Visible = False
    Call restart
    End If
    End Sub
    Sub restart()
    Timer1.Enabled = True
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Timer1.Enabled = False
    End Sub
    Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
    Form1.Visible = True
    End Sub
    1 form
    2 option button name opt1 and opt2
    1 timer set value 300 ' or any value you want
    You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on the continuing vitality of FORTRAN.

That doesn't actually do anything but hide the form and then re-show it... that's not the same as restarting.

Again, until we know what the OP's intentions are, there's no point in providing any answers.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *