Thread: [RESOLVED] PC broke down, what component may causing the trouble

King of sapila

Resolved [RESOLVED] PC broke down, what component may causing the trouble

I got a PC breakdown. The last thing i saw was the desktop and nothing was moving, so i shuted down from the power button.
    Now when i re powered there was not even a bios warning or beeps from MB and the screen went to power saving mode, aka no display.
    I am not sure what component may be causing the trouble as the usual suspect the MotherBoard will show power and the network from it's LAN will show green light on the rooter.
    As i am not hearing beeps it's the first suspect but again not sure. I removed everything from the MB , loose the battery and after a while i powered on but again no go.
    the only component i haven't removed is the CPU but it's getting late now.
    So any opinion here?
    Thanks.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Re: PC broke down, what component may causing the trouble

How about your monitor? It is still working? Could be a bad ram, try removing 1 or using an eraser to clean it.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

King of sapila

Yep monitor works, i have a second PC plugged in there and shows fine.
    I removed the memory etc, only thing i haven't tried is plug another VGA to the PC. I will try in the evening as the current one was stuck so bad in there that i could only lift it 3-4 cm from the base but not take it out..

Could it be the motherboard itself causing the problem?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

King of sapila

Hey, yes as i've said MB is the primary suspect but i am not sure how to pinpoint that since it's shows that it has power and, for example, the MB LAN will show green line to the rooter. I am not sure how to make sure that MB is the troublemaker.

Could also be a power supply which cannot already provide enough current, happened to one of our computers.
    Regards,

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Hey, yes as i've said MB is the primary suspect but i am not sure how to pinpoint that since it's shows that it has power and, for example, the MB LAN will show green line to the rooter. I am not sure how to make sure that MB is the troublemaker.
    So if you have naked motherboard (so to speak) what components are actually part of it from the start?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

King of sapila

Let me see, err, the audio inputs, the Lan. Nothing fancy, it's an old 945 MSI motherboard code "7135" or something, if i remember correctly (in the office right now)

Hyperactive Member

The BEEPS you hear actually tell you what is wrong. Try finding a manual for the motherboard and look up what a specific beep means.

Sorry, I misread your initial post. I though you wrote you actually hear the beeps. When you power on the PC, do you hear the ventilators start? Can you hear the HDD start ?
    Last edited by BlackRiver; Sep 10th, 2014 at 04:59 AM.

King of sapila

Hi. The ventilators start , the HDD did not start. It just powers up , the LAN is green, some USB lights from an included MSI usb card turn green but no beeps or visual.

I had something similar... the problem ended up being a fried CPU chip.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

Can you get into BIOS? Do you have an integrated GPU or an additional one in your PCI or VGA slot? Try opening the computer case and check to see if all the components actually work. It could be anything really.

King of sapila

No Bios and no GPU. I opened the case yesterday, removing components, trying to find out what is going on.

It's looking more and more like the motherboard has gone bad. A resistor, or capacitor has gone belly up, or one of the PCB lines has broken somehow (I've seen it happen, get a little corrosion on one of those lines...)

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

Well, it will cost 50E to replace the MB but if it's not the MB and is p.e. the CPU then i am getting close to a new small PC.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the PSU that went bad. I bought a new one and it worked fine. The CPU was not getting any power so it wouldn't do anything.

King of sapila

Hmm, but i see the fans working and everything light up ok in there(?).

Just try replacing your PSU, it might be under current even though it can power on the fans.
    Regards,

When PC start loading press F1, F3, F8, or DEL buttons (very of manufacturer) to enter the BIOS.

King of sapila

Ok, i got to find a loaned PSU first.

PowerPoster

Of course if a motherboard short blew the power supply just connecting another risks blowing that one as well.

Fans typically run off the +12v output but modern PSUs often have multiple +12v rails, so some could be blown while others are still good. Or maybe your +3.3v or +5v rails are blown while +12v and -12v are still good.

You have probably reached the point where this entire PC has little residual value and needs a complete replacement. Even the drives are probably so old, small, and slow they are not worth salvaging, and a new PC with even an integrated GPU may run rings around the "fancy" video card from an antique PC.

King of sapila

Actually my newer PC has an integrated GPU that was worst than the old PC's one. But the PC was top for his age, have 2 250GB drives 3GB of memory and Pentium dual core at 3.0GHz so it's not that bad.
    Anyhow a friend of mine has an old MB and CPU so i will test it when i got there, probably next Saturday, i can't find a loaned power supply tho.
    Anyhow i am being cheap and i should probably give 400Euros and get a new one but the crisis is getting into me, so Scrooge MC DUCK!

PowerPoster

I have ran into this type of thing before. Note that you will only get beeps if you have a speaker attached to your MB. I have saw a few that did not have this so their was no audible indication of an issue.

In the cases where I have saw this type of behavior it has been video card in one case and a ram chip in a few other cases and in another case the heat sink had came loose from the CPU which has been known to happen of the dual core intel CPUs due to the way they kind of snap over the cpu.

I would suggest testing the video card if possible to see if it works.
    Taking the ram chips out and putting just one of them back in and see if it boots, do this with each of the ram chips as needed.
    Try swapping out the power supply if possible.

King of sapila

Well tomorrow a friend of my will give me a used MB to have tests with.
    It's not the ram as it was the first thing i tested. I don't think it's the VGA as the disks will not do the usual initiate sounds before the load. This leaves either the power supply or the heat sink or the CPU itself or, and what is the most obvious candidate, the frikin motherboard.

King of sapila

So i tested my newer PC VGA to this one and we can scratch the VGA out. So what's left is the MB + CPU i borrowed. Got to find some time though to begin the "demolition".

King of sapila

Feeewwwhh!!!
    So long story short i installed the motherboard and all lights up again but i got an issue with my HDD, it is not recognized in the BIOS but it will start loading(something that RAID sees it) but suddenly after the XP load for 3-4 seconds it will stop and reset. So this seems like a HDD issue or, what?
    Thanks.

PowerPoster

Hard to say without knowing anything about the HDD and MB in question.
    Is the bios set to auto detect? Have you went into the bios and tried to detect or set it there? Sata or IDE HDD?

Another thing you might want to check on the original MB is the USB ports. My brother had a system fail a while back and was sure it was the MB. He bought a new MB and all was well but then he noticed that the little piece of plastic in the center of one of the USB ports was gone and had allowed the pins to touch. after separating the pins that MB worked fine.

King of sapila

The BIOS will not auto detect but when it goes to boot it will say that RAID detected the HD(shows model etc) and starts XP for 2-3 seconds.It's SATA HDD. I am thinking the following:
    1)Take the HDD out and put it in a usb HDD slot gadget i have see if it works (it worked before as i took the HDD for a test last week) and also do chkdsk.
    2)Memory. The new MB has 800DDR2 memories and the old one had 533DDR(2?) memories, maybe XP go mad with these memory, so i can replace them and see. Also there are 2-2GB memory there and XP had done this to me before, trying to put 4GB of memory in it (although it crashed after i logged in).
    I prefer not to go through and re-connect the old MB just to check the USB but i did not notice any USB touching anywhere anyway.

PowerPoster

Have you tried booting in safe mode?

King of sapila

Yes, same thing.
    I am doing a chkdsk , will leave it run tonight and see if anything got better, will also try the memory switch. Also since this is a 2 HDD system and i have the other disk with Server 2003 i should try loading that but of course....Surprise!!! The system cannot find NDLsomehting.dll, thankfully that has happened to me before and i just need to copy that file to root but i can't now since i only have one usb to hdd unit and is taken with the other disk.

King of sapila

Did it! Wooooshaaaaa! Yahhhhaaaaa! Arrrgggg!!!!!
    Turns out i had to go to the BIOS and disable the RAID Controller, my friend must have left this on cuz i remember him using stacks of disks and it was stopping everything, !
    I'm the man!!!!
    Thank everyone btw.
    P.S. XP is looking for drivers n stuff again but whatever, minor problem.

King of sapila

Re: [RESOLVED] PC broke down, what component may causing the trouble

Surprisingly the second boot of Server 2003 that complained about a file missing was also fixed when XP loaded.
    I had a problem with the new Gigabyte MB to find the network card so i did a driver install on what i found on Gigabyte site and now network is on too.
    I had an issue, that may or may not be something. I was using Gigabyte driver detect utility for network and it showed an empty grid. That's fine since i did not had network at the time. Problem i show was after 5-10 second, as i was in another File explorer, searching for something, the PC froze. It froze like it did before i had the previous MB breakdown. Nothing moved and i had to reset. The previous time i had no screen. Now i had screen and XP loaded ok. After that the PC never did froze again (will test today also since it was late and i shuted down after 5 minutes). I was thinking if this may dictate power supply issues also. If there is a way to check the power supply working behavior somehow?...
    Last edited by sapator; Sep 25th, 2014 at 04:04 AM.