Thread: [RESOLVED] Instr function

Resolved [RESOLVED] Instr function

Hi All,
    I need to evaluate if a string that contains numbers has a certain number. For this purpose I thought that I can use the Instr function but it seems the approach is wrong. My example looks like below :
    Code:
    Dim S As String, p As Long
    S = "1825, 8253"
    p = InStr(1, s, "825")
    Either I set the comparison argument as binary or as text each time the function returns "2" while I expected to have "0". That happens because Instr does read each substring sequence inside S string...
    Is it possible to compare string numbers as if I compare numbers only? I would like to avoid any loop for this task. Thank you.
    Last edited by Daniel Duta; Sep 1st, 2014 at 09:17 AM.

Re: Instr function

The result is correct. "825" is found at position 2 in the string "1825, 8253"

What kind of "magic" do you need?

Some code from a library to work with "multivalue" strings.
    In your case the Separator is ", "

Code:
    Public Function mvLocate(sString As String, sSearch As String, sSeparator As String) As Long
      Dim lFieldNo As Long
      Dim lPos1 As Long, lPos2 As Long, lStart As Long

If Len(sString) = 0 Or Len(sSearch) = 0 Then
        Exit Function
      End If

lPos2 = 1
      lPos1 = 1
      lStart = 1
      Do While lPos1 > 0
        lFieldNo = lFieldNo + 1
        lPos1 = InStr(lPos2, sString, sSeparator, vbBinaryCompare)
        lStart = lPos2
        If lPos1 = 0 Then
          If Mid$(sString, lStart) = sSearch Then
            mvLocate = lFieldNo
            Exit Do
          End If
        Else
          If Mid$(sString, lStart, lPos1 - lStart) = sSearch Then
            mvLocate = lFieldNo
            Exit Do
          End If
        End If
        lPos2 = lPos1 + 1
      Loop

End Function

Function you seem to need would to be a mini-wordprocessor of sorts
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Function you seem to need would to be a mini-wordprocessor of sorts
    A Regular Expression engine might qualify as such.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Hi Arno,
    Thank you for reply. Your function is not very different than other based on Split function, which is even smaller. After that you can loop the array and if n1=n2 than exit for/sub. The idea is it involves a loop and I wanted to avoid this.
    The result is correct. "825" is found at position 2 in the string "1825, 8253"
    Unfortunately, you are right. I wanted to get "0" for that comparison because "825" <> "1825" but I think it is not possible to do this using Instr function as long as it returns the position of a substring in a string.

PowerPoster

If you only need to know whether it is present or not:

Code:
    Option Explicit

Function Present(ByVal Numbers As String, ByVal Target As String) As Boolean
        Present = " " & Numbers & " " Like "*[ ,]" & Target & "[ ,]*"
    End Function

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim Numbers As String

Numbers = "1825, 8253"
        MsgBox Present(Numbers, "825")
        MsgBox Present(Numbers, "8253")

Unload Me
    End Sub

Hello Dille,
    I was about to start a function based on the native Split function when I read your post. It is exactly what I needed. Only to check the presence of a string number in other. So it is not a mini-wordprocessor but a simple, smart and beautiful solution. I think you had the best maths grades at the school.
    Thank you for this solution. It is a good example of ingenuity.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Instr function

Glad it helps.

I saw "regular expressions" mentioned above and started gagging, so I had to post something to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

LaVolpe mentioned a mini word processor. Regular Expressions immediately came to my mind. It is severe overkill for something this simple but it is immensely powerful for things that aren't that simple. It really is like a mini word processor.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Or like a mini virtual coprocessor programmed in Martian assembly language. Some swear by it, most swear at it.

PS. Honestly, it is one of the most interesting solution I have ever seen. I am sure not many students in informatics or even experienced programmer could solve this problem in a such a simple manner. I have shared this solution to my office colleagues and everybody recognized it is very ingenious. No more words to say. Just hat's off to you !

Your function is not very different than other based on Split function, which is even smaller. After that you can loop the array and if n1=n2 than exit for/sub. The idea is it involves a loop and I wanted to avoid this.
    Less code is not per definition more efficient.
    Using the Split() would use more memory and processing time.
    My code maybe uses more statements but is quite efficient when dealing with large datasets.

Frenzied Member

I have a "tester" in codebank that take a line of VB code and embed code to colorize it, without storing each part but the last part before bound the colorize code. So It works like a filter. If you want only the numbers you can keep numbers for the final output. Also this routine found hex values and floating point numbers, strings, labels (knowing which label is a vb word) and symbols

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...es-for-changes