Thread: Add event handler to Object

1/2 way accross the galaxy.. and then some

Add event handler to Object

How can I add an event handler to an object that I know the structure of, but visual studio does not .... it is a System.__ComObject

You can use AddHandler for known object structures ... but if I want to add one purely on an object how do I do this?

Thanks,
    Kris

PowerPoster

Re: Add event handler to Object

Any chance that this object can be cast to an interface that defines the event? Writing a managed version of the interface and then casting against it is the only way I know of accomplishing this.

Quote Originally Posted by TnTinMN View Post
    Any chance that this object can be cast to an interface that defines the event? Writing a managed version of the interface and then casting against it is the only way I know of accomplishing this.
    Nope doesn't work ... set up the interface with the same event in it and when trying to cast to the interface get:

Code:
    InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'iTest'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{BAA05248-AA87-4C45-A0CC-DD3677AF2790}' failed
    due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception
    from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).
    > 0026 - i00CodeLib.Drawing+_Closure$__1+_Closure$__2+_Closure$__3._Lambda$__1 (frmPerson)
    Kris

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by i00 View Post
    Nope doesn't work ... set up the interface with the same event in it and when trying to cast to the interface get:

Code:
    InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'iTest'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{BAA05248-AA87-4C45-A0CC-DD3677AF2790}' failed
    due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception
    from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).
    > 0026 - i00CodeLib.Drawing+_Closure$__1+_Closure$__2+_Closure$__3._Lambda$__1 (frmPerson)
    Kris
    Did you set the ComImport and Guid attributes on your managed interface? Guid should be the same Guid as the unmanaged Interface. Look at the example include in the ComImport link.

I have assumed that you have already tried to add a COM reference (Project Menu->Add Reference->COM Tab) to the library that defines the object and it could not import it. If not please try that first and let VS generate the code for you.

I have don that:

vb Code:
    1. Dim ComObject = Trycast(Control.UnderlyingComObject, Test)
    2. '----------
    3.      <ComImport(), _
    4.         Guid("BAA05248-AA87-4C45-A0CC-DD3677AF2790")>
    5.         Public Interface Test
    6.             Event Sort(ByVal DirectionTopDown As Boolean)
    7.         End Interface

... same error though ...
    Kris

PowerPoster

Is this COM class written in VB6? If so, based on my understanding of the below quote, that may be the issue. Note that I am not a VB6 programmer, so I may be wrong.
    The Implements feature does not support outgoing interfaces. Thus, any events you declare in the class module will be ignored.
    from this: Creating Standard Interfaces with Visual Basic

*shameless bump