Thread: "An error occured while retrieving information from the database: Unspecified Error"

Frenzied Member

"An error occured while retrieving information from the database: Unspecified Error"

I have been wrestling with this issue for a few days. Anytime I try to open, preview, modify, or configure any of my datasets via the data sources tab or .XSD directly, I get the following errors on my laptop:
    (The first error depicts trying to preview a dataset, the second depicts trying to configure data source with wizard)
    Name:  errors.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  37.5 KB

However, if I zip up my solution, send it to my desktop, unzip it and open it on Visual Studio on that machine, I am able to preview my data or configure data sources without any problems.

So, the problem must be with my laptop. I have found that closing out VS, and restarting could sometimes fix the problem. I think that the designer may be running out of memory, I have seen the system.outofmemory exception before in the designer in the "error" tab when doing a build a couple times, but right now devenv is only using 173,000K and I still get the issue. What can I do to correct this problem?
    Last edited by jayinthe813; Aug 28th, 2014 at 03:26 PM.

Re: "An error occured while retrieving information from the database: Unspecified Err

If it was me, I'd uninstall VS and reinstall it. That's not guaranteed to fix the issue but it doesn't take so long that it's not likely to be quicker than finding out exactly what file is corrupt and replacing it.

Frenzied Member

Re: "An error occured while retrieving information from the database: Unspecified Err

So I just uninstalled/reinstalled and I am still getting the same error...

Frenzied Member

After an entire system wipe and full re-installation of VS2010, I still am getting the same error (but only on the one computer). Is there any way I can determine if the problem is from VS not having enough memory?

Last edited by Nightwalker83; Oct 8th, 2014 at 04:45 PM.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Frenzied Member

Thanks for the link, but I think Its really more of and issue with the VS2010 designer as my app runs fine. I just added a new Dataset with a new connection string into my project, and then deleted it. That seemed to fix the problem as I can now edit my dataset, albeit, maybe temporarily. Its definitely some kind of VS bug.

I know I can use my other PC to generate the datasets, but remoting in is top-heavy and annoying.