Thread: Different mobile development options

Different mobile development options

I'm wanting to jump into the world of mobile development and I'd like a few pointers of where to start. What I've been looking at is:

Using VB.Net in Xamarin
    Using HTML5/CSS/JavaScript in PhoneGap

Has anyone used either of these technologies and what others do y'all suggest? The languages that I'm comfortable using are CSS, HTML5, JavaScript, Lua and VB.Net.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Re: Different mobile development options

What type of mobile development are you wanting to do? That will impact what makes the most sense. Xamarin is very popular right now and Phonegap was previously the top dog. As such, either are viable choices for developing. There are also tools by a zillion other vendors including companies like Intel that have a free XDK IDE for development.

Part of the answer to what makes the most sense depends on what platforms you are targeting. If you are just targeting Windows and Windows Phone, then Visual Studio is the answer. If you are wanting cross platform, then the options you are suggesting work. If you don't need to go native in targeting platforms, then I suggest you lean towards the HTML5/ JS as that will give you a bit more flexibility and more options.

We have a group in my town that meets monthly on doing Xamarin mobile development with a focus on .NET. You might check your area as well to see what is happening. That can make it a lot easier to get up to speed faster.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Preferably I'd like to target multiple platforms.

The reason for this is because unlike traditional OS where there is really Windows and Mac. I know some Linux users are yelling, "what about me!", sorry there just isn't enough support to strictly do Linux programming. With those operating systems, you can get away with developing specifically for one or the other and if you need to write the same application for both operating systems, then it's not much of a stretch to do so.

On the other hand with mobile development, it's much more difficult to write and maintain for each individual system(iOS, android, windows, etc.). Plus there is not such a drastic usage towards one platform to another in the mobile market(unlike in the desktop/laptop OS's). That's why I'd prefer if I target all platforms with minimal effort to modify the code for the specific platform.

We have a group in my town that meets monthly on doing Xamarin mobile development with a focus on .NET. You might check your area as well to see what is happening. That can make it a lot easier to get up to speed faster.
    Where could I find a group like that, Facebook or Google? Because to be honest there are a ton of computer stores in my city, but all of them that I went to rarely do any actual development. It's mostly hardware support, computer clean ups, installing dual monitors for offices, etc.

Where could I find a group like that,
    Sites like Meetup.com are what I use here in the United States. There are a couple of others similar sites took but that one is the one most groups are using now.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome, I actually found a group in my city. It was just one group and their last activity was May, but hey it's a start!

According to me if you are a web developer and want to jump into mobile app development world then you need to choose cross platform framework. Suppose you want to create a simple cross platform app then you need to choose Phonegap because this framework enables you to create mobile apps even you are not familiar with this tool. This tool is based on web technologies (HTML5, CSS3 and JAVA script) so you don't need to learn extra amount of knowledge of any language.