Thread: connectivity to oracle

Question connectivity to oracle

How do I connect to Oracle to VB 6.0. i am trying to connect through ADODC/DAO but I am getting the error "No Listner found."What are settings in Oracle and VB to connect to eachother.

Frenzied Member

Re: connectivity to oracle

i had gone through this once and i remember the first issue was to correctly install the correct driver... hope you have got past this. i do not have the code from back then available right now, but can post the connection string that worked for me tomorrow. for the meantime you may want try some of these: http://www.connectionstrings.com/oracle/

"No Listner found"? Are you sure that is the error? Do you have 64bit or 32 bit OS? I remember having a difficult time connecting to Oracle when I was using 64 bit OS, not only difficult, I was not able to connect to it due to driver issues even after trying out all the suggestions I've found on the net.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Frenzied Member

This is the cn string that worked for me in 32bit Excel VBA after installing "ODAC 11.2.0.3.20 with Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio":
    "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};Server=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=ServerName)(PORT=PortNumber))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=DatabaseName)));Uid=UserName;Pwd=Password;"

i tried also these with no luck having added the datasource to the tnsnames.ora file:
    "Provider=msdaora;Data Source=DatabaseAlias;User Id=UserName;Password=Password;"
    "Driver={Oracle in OraHome92};Dbq=DatabaseAlias;Uid=UserName;Pwd=Password;"

Quote Originally Posted by vprog View Post
    How do I connect to Oracle to VB 6.0. i am trying to connect through ADODC/DAO but I am getting the error "No Listner found."What are settings in Oracle and VB to connect to eachother.
    Have you got oracle client installed? You'll need to check if your client is working by testing with the tnsPing utility provided by oracle.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

I'd question whether the server was right on the connectionstring. not sure what the client would be listening to... the server on the other hand should be listening for connection requests.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by abhijit View Post
    Have you got oracle client installed? You'll need to check if your client is working by testing with the tnsPing utility provided by oracle.
    SIR i have a problem in connecting my orcale with mt VB Software. if i tried to run the program with coding i can able to get connection, but if i run the program after creating an EXE file i couldn't get a connection its says connection failed. i dont know what is problem in it please give me any solution