Thread: [RESOLVED] Convert 15 pin joystick to?

King of sapila

Resolved [RESOLVED] Convert 15 pin joystick to?

Recently i got a 15 pin to USB for my old PAC MAN Joystick. Problem was that it ended up going downways whenever i pulled up or down and left whenever i pulled left or right.
    I've seen some new PAC MAN like joysticks on ebay but i want to keep this one if possible because it is the best joystick ever created by mankind. So is there any other option for a new motherboard? I see the printer port and one male 5 pin something in the back. Can something be done with it?
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Re: Convert 15 pin joystick to?

So the connector on the joystick has 15 pin and you want to use in with a motherboard that uses a different amount of pins?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

King of sapila

Yes, a motherboard without 15 pin adapter.

Will you could try to see if there was an adapter for what you need but that would probably mean a lot of messing about matching up the cpu, etc. It is probably easier just to get a new motherboard.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

King of sapila

So let me get this straight.
    The suggestion for using an old 15 pin joystick is to get a new motherboard(!)? Even so, the new motherboards don't use 15 pin game ports.

PowerPoster

What puzzles me is why a USB adapter results in unexpected results.

This suggests that either there was something unusual about (a.) the old 15-pin controller port on the old PC (designed to work with this particular controller?), (b.) the driver on the old PC, or (c.) some other software layer or "hook" between the driver and applications. Or perhaps there is something non-standard about the USB adapter you tried?

If you have an open motherboard slot and can find an adapter card for such an old thing that might be something to try. But the results may not be any better.

Or you could take this as a sign that it is time to get a job, move out of Mom's basement, and stop gaming.

King of sapila

I have tried on 2 PC's with the same result. This 15 pin was not specific to anything it would play just fine on any 15 pin PC that i had, no driver needed (remember we are talking about DOS game mostly). I can't find a adapter slot, that was a though i had, but i found another usb to 15 pin device and i am asking the seller, if he accept a refund if it does not work, i might try this. BTW i just bought a new PAC MAN like usb joystick but the lever is a little bigger than the old one i had but will give it a shot when it arrives.
    Hmmm, get a job. That is a very common request in Greece, currently i have one but i will never stop gaming the old DOS!!! :P

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    So let me get this straight.
    The suggestion for using an old 15 pin joystick is to get a new motherboard(!)? Even so, the new motherboards don't use 15 pin game ports.
    What is the maximum number of pins they use? Also, when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.

King of sapila

They usual has the print port and the ..Rs232? something.

Name:  Pinlayout.png
Views: 2427
Size:  34.8 KB

Can't you change some pinning?

King of sapila

What do i do with that?I am not a hardware guy and have no intention to mess a perfectly fine working joystick on any 15 pin port.
    That question is if there is a tested 15 pin to usb that actually works or if i can plug the joystick to another port with an adapter. I won't mess with the joystick cuz I'm 99,9% sure that i will break it.

King of sapila

K, found out what the other port rs232 is used for and i don't think it can take a joystick:
    Used for Modem, PDA, GPS, Bar Code, Digitizer, Digital Camera, Label printer & ISDN terminal adapter. Unless someone used a joystick on that port, i'm pretty much left with either finding a 15 pin plug card (can't find one and not sure if it exists for modern PCI express slots) or a 15pin to usb, that my first attempt went bananas.
    Edit, have an older PC with a SOYO motherboard but that damn motherboard was changed 3 times (burned 3 times in a row, wow!) and i am not in the mood for another burnout + not sure if the parts will work after so long.(was a w95 PC).
    Anyhow I've ordered a usb retro joystick, haven't received yet(or i have, don't know, will be back tomorrow from vacations) but the stick looks a little big, i am not sure if i can manage as i want for games like kick off, sensible soccer and arcades.
    Although i am not sure if i will be able to play games till X-mas since we got the big September job wave coming and well, i sort a have life and stuff(damn, would prefer to live on my Mom's basement as dilettante mentioned ).
    Last edited by sapator; Aug 31st, 2014 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    What do i do with that?I am not a hardware guy and have no intention to mess a perfectly fine working joystick on any 15 pin port.....
    Well...if it worked perfectly? You can make an extension cable with some wires swapped.

And I gave you a pin layout of this joystick. As you can see it has nothing to do with RS232!

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by namrekka View Post
    Well...if it worked perfectly? You can make an extension cable with some wires swapped.
    I have no idea how to make an extension cable and where to use it.
    I am not sure what you expect me to do.
    I am not proficient with hardware, at all.

That port is called a Game port. The RS232 interface is a serial interface for modems, etc. I doubt two would be compatible/interchangable.

The game port used to be integrated onto sound cards, so you could possibly just pick up a cheap PCI sound card that has an included game port. That page says that the game port is not supported in Vista and later, so you would need XP to get it running.
    Last edited by tr333; Sep 21st, 2014 at 06:56 PM.
    CSS layout comes in to the 21st century with flexbox!
    Just another Perl hacker,

King of sapila

Well i have W7, i also have an old XP but it makes too much noise.
    Anyhow i will see what i will do. I currently have ordered a usb Joystick and i have 2 15P to usb convertors on stand by (money surplus is -10 ) with the option or returning the items if they do not work. So yes a Sound Card would be the last and unfortunate choice. Not sure if PCI 2.1 Compliant will work in my XP motherboard but fortunately i have the box somewhere (is an MSI or GIGABYTE).
    Btw i have an old sound blaster pro somewhere. Should just try to stick it to my w7 and force it to play(by threatening to pee on it!) .
    Last edited by sapator; Sep 5th, 2014 at 06:02 AM.

you may have to use a software solution to reverse the inputs. there are programs out there that do that for you. In addition, if you are playing games on an emulator, they all have configurable control settings.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

King of sapila

Do you have a software in mind?
    Also MAME,p.e., with just have an "enable joystick" option, no configuration.
    Thanks.

King of sapila

So, the usb joystick came in and it's not nearly as good as the one i have.
    I can't also seem to make sensible soccer work with the damn thing on dosbox. It sees the joystick and calibrates on "install.exe" but when i run the game i will only correspond on the red buttons. Another on i tried (wing commander) will work fine.
    So now i am going to solution 2, get a new 15Pin to USB from another manufacturer and see how it goes...
    I was looking for PCI express to 15 pin cards, apparently not exist and i need to get a sound card as suggested.
    That is step 3...

King of sapila

Update.
    Fixed sensible soccer. The new joystick experience is, meh. So i orderedanother usb to 15 pin device.
    Also any card with midi-gameport will not work on windows 7, triple check on that.
    The PC that crashed (see another thread) has XP, so if his does not work, i need to fix the XP PC and get a midi card.
    Will wait a week or so to get the new usb to 15 pin and see what happens next.

PowerPoster

Why try and use a old 15 pin joystick at all?
    Isn't there a USB joystick that will suit your needs?

Does the USB adapter have some options under properties?
    Is your Joystick recognized under game controls using this adapter?
    If so have you tried to calibrate it there?

What is the maximum number of pins they use? Also, when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    The 15 pin game port interface has been obsolete for many years. Last PC I had that support this did so through an ISA sound card or possibly it was an old PCI. The last 15 pin controller I bought was back in the mid 90s and everything since 2k has been USB.
    Last edited by DataMiser; Sep 20th, 2014 at 08:52 AM.

King of sapila

I bough a usb joystick, not happy with it, it has probably 70% of the feel i get with the 15 pin stick.
    I treid to calibrate in windows but the joystick will correspond strange, the + calibrator will go allover the place. So it is probably the usb device or the joystick but since that joystick is a steel monster i bet is the USB.
    I am expecting a different 15p to USB medium this week, so i will see how it goes...

King of sapila

Breaking the what?! The fk law. Breaking the WHAT?! THE FK LAW!!! BREAK-ING THE LAAAWWWW!!!!
    I mean i got the new 15p to usb and it works! In your face new motherboard!

King of sapila

Re: [RESOLVED] Convert 15 pin joystick to?

And my old joystick is the BEST EVEEEERRRRR!!!!